PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the 2¼" dust port?

autobody
01-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I was reading the faq and it said "The machine does have a vacuum impeller built-in as well as an external vacuum port that fits 2–1/4” OD hose." However I haven't found the 2¼" vaccum port on my machine. I am missing some pieces or something? Where is the port located.

Thanks ~Mike

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
It doesn't exist as far as I know. As one of the CW people said "you're dust collection/vacuum system isn't designed to run for 3-4 hours at a time" (paraphrasing). So they probably eliminated the large port to save your shop-vac. Also, vacuums tend to create a static electricity, and the CW has only a 2-prong plug (no ground) and seems to be susceptable to static buildup.

If you really want one though, you go to a hardware store and create an adapter from plumbing accessories.

autobody
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I think I found it, it must be the dust bag. If you remove the bag it's a 2¼" port. However with the port reducing down so small to the machine it would be pretty restrictive.

I noticed that missing ground. If I eventually rig up a dust port on the bottom of the machine where would be the best place to ground the machine to keep from burning out the electronics from a static build up?

Would the metal plate on the bottom be sufficient?

I have run my dust collector for hours at a time when I carve by hand (2 hp system ). I have a dust collecting carving bench.

Thanks ~Mike

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Is that a 2 1/4"? It didn't look that big to me, but I never measured it.

Dan-Woodman
01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Why did the sears machines go to a 2-prong plug?

JBarr
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I am wondering the same thing. Usually you only find two-prong plugs on shop tools that are double insulated.

The Bard
01-29-2007, 09:23 PM
because it wanted to play all the reindeer games.

BenCraig
01-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Why did the sears machines go to a 2-prong plug?

Bard (Or anyone else with the answer,)
Concerning the new CarveWright machines (distributed by LHR) that are going to be available in a few weeks.... will these have a 2 or 3 prong plug?

BC

The Bard
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
2 as far as I know...

I don't know of any major design changes coming up. Almost all of the problems have been from the manufacturer, not the design.

flyboy
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
The higher voltage eelectrical components are double insulated, no ground is needed therfore eliminating the need for a three prong plug.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken (as well I could be), isn't the small blue bag on the back of the machine an INTAKE, not an Exhaust? Thus why would you put a vacuum to it, when it's also in the wrong position to pick up much sawdust naturally?

Bob

HandTurnedMaple
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Its an exhaust. Step 7 of setting up reads: "Insert the muffler bag into the vacuum outlet in the rear of the machine..." I got the bright idea of removing the bag from the muffler and putting the vacuum hose over the top of it, but the plastic support frame is 2 1/2" ID and so is the vacuum hose so it won't fit.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a Jet model DC 1100RC dust collector system and the thought of dragging sawdust, even with it's power, into the area just below all the working motor, belts, and other electronics doesn't seem to be the best place for it. I do see in the manual it states that is the muffler/dust collector, but it's also directly below the air intake grill.

Although I'm hesitant to do so, Chris or Erik (forget who, now) did tell me that probably the best place to put a dust collector connection would be in the right side by cutting a hole and attaching a coupling. I think the bottom sucker might well serve me for right now.

Bob

HandTurnedMaple
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Although I'm hesitant to do so, Chris or Erik (forget who, now) did tell me that probably the best place to put a dust collector connection would be in the right side by cutting a hole and attaching a coupling.
Bob

More of that shivering :lol: Let them put that in writing and I'll be all over that. But until cutting a big hole in the side of the machine is expressly covered under warranty (and I know you guys are great about repairs...), I will continue to just open the cover once or twice an hour to vacuum or use a collector under the machine.

pkunk
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I put a port on the right side but it really doesn't do much. The bottom suckor works better. I'll take a pic or 2 later.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Pkunk,

Great for the pictures, Pkunk. The center seems to be the largest buildup of sawdust, so that practically would seem to be the best place for it, I would think.

Bob

HandTurnedMaple
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I get most of my saw dust on the top of the carving (as I'm sure most do since that is where the bit is). The idea of a port through the clear cover makes sense to me, but again I really don't care to cut a hole in my machine at this point. But that strikes me as a good place for it when I do so.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Maple,

Which makes the bottom the most practical place for it, since no modication to the machine is required. I also hesitate making the cover cut, and besides, it also would block full vision which is dark enough (without the stick on LED lights) anyway.

Bob