PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Buy!! Finally...

mykee50
09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Hello everybody, I've been following this forum for about 3 years on and off. I've been waiting for all of the bugs to be ironed out before I jumped in and bought one. I think I'm ready with the new version "C". I have question though. What is the difference between the "C" and the 'NO1". They are both on Amazon...

That leads to my other question, where is the cheapest place to buy from nowadays?

One last thing, I found this closeout at Sears. Will these bits fit the new machines? See link...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-closeout-6-pc-edge-bit-set-for/p-00921782000P?autoRedirect=true&sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

Thanks, Mike, Issaquah, WA

ladjr
09-01-2012, 05:50 PM
I just looked at the two machines and can see no difference. I think Carvewright has a sale going on this week end for labor day. I believe the bits you are looking at are for the old Quick release. However I was able to remove the old selve from mine when I upgraded.

Good Luck and welcome. Be sure and get a dust collection device from Redneck.

easybuilt
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
After or before you buy your carver you are always welcome to join our users group in Western Washington. We meet monthly in one of four locations, Bonney Lake, Enumclaw, Spanaway or Port Orchard. September we will be meeting in Enumclaw. Let me know if you want to join us, we have a great time.

DocWheeler
09-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Good Luck and welcome. Be sure and get a dust collection device from Redneck.

Floyd should love that!

eelamb
09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Doc have you seen Floyd! that name will fit him too. But the name is ringneck blues for the dust collection.

chief2007
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Would recommend buying direct from LHR. This way you can have it built your way. Do some price comparisons before you pull the trigger

TerryT
09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
After or before you buy you carver you are always welcome to join our users group in Western Washington. We meet monthly in one of four locations, Bonney Lake, Enumclaw, Spanaway or Port Orchard. September we will be meeting in Enumclaw. Let me know if you want to join us, we have a great time.

If you have someone assigned to doughnuts and coffee..... I'M THERE!!

easybuilt
09-01-2012, 10:29 PM
OK your it this month!

ladjr
09-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Sorry Floyd I must have hit the wrong keys. Ringneck

fwharris
09-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Mike,

Go with the "C" version listing for the machine. Not sure (have not looked it up) but I think the NO1 machines are earlier versions. On the bits, great price (I've bought 2 already) and you will need to remove the QC adapters to use the the CarveTight chuck and some stop collars.

I would recommend going through LHR or a StartU member for your purchase this way you will know for sure what you are getting. And for sure join up with Tom and the gang. A great way to learn the machine/software from a great bunch of carvers..

Oh yeah, I am the RedNeck RignNeckBlues!!! :-D

Leo, No problem! Your not the first and not the last! We might be a red neck it........

lynnfrwd
09-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Whether u purchase N01 or C from amazon, we ship C. It was their old designation for a or b, but we only have c's to ship. Can't get them to remove no1. Amazon comes with 1 year warranty included, but order through LHR and get hduty belts installed free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mykee50
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for of the info. There seems to be a lot of people willing to help a guy out on this forum, thanks again.

I see prices jump around a little depending on who you buy from. Here is what I've found for the C system. They all come with the 200hr/1yr warranty.

Sears; Not Available
Amazon; $1599.99 plus about $160 tax for me. Free 2 day shipping (I have what they call Prime shipping), no HD belts. Total about $1760.00.
LHR; $1399.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts included ($140 value), total about $1480.00.
LHR; $2050.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts, 11 pc Full Bit Set ($400), Scanning Probe ($300), 1/8" Cutting Bit ($40). Total about $2132.00 saving about $90 on the extras.

Someone said that LHR was having a Labor Day special. Is that the "Hot Sale" that'a on the website or is there something even better out there? I'll buy today if there IS a better Labor Day Special!!

Thanks for the help guy's (and Gal's if any), Mike ;)

lawrence
09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Here's what I got by email

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/a.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/b.jpg

If I were in your shoes I would -
1 - buy from LHR - even though buying from amazon gives you a couple of "protective measures" (you get the power of Amazon behind you if you have any problems... returns are dead easy and painless) the added cost probably would still make me buy from LHR. Besides, LHR's customer service and the Carvewright's reliability has gotten MUCH better.
2 - if you are going to get the probe (and I would, but not primarily for the probe... for the pattern editor software that comes with it), buy the probe from lowes here
http://www.lowes.com/Search=carvewright?storeId=10151&N=0&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&rpp=16

It's $80 cheaper and it ships from LHR anyway :)
3 - I would not buy the "full bit set" as most folks (including me) don't use most of the bits- you want to instead purchase an extra 1/16 carving bit (though I sell them, I would buy one with a pressed on sleeve from LHR as mine do not have pressed on adapters). Also buy 2 of the 1/8 cutting bits from LHR. For the centerline text, you can use a standard 60 or 90 degree sign bit and do not have to use the ones that LHR sells- I love this one

4 - as far as the software goes- just keep in mind that the software (including the pattern editor software that comes with the probe) is non-transferable and non refundable. Once you load the software on your computer, it belongs to you and cannot be sold/given away/etc. For this reason I would not recommend starting out with all of the software, but I do recommend to start out with the centerline text and conforming vectors software from LHR- it is $150 for both and I consider them essential for most users. If you want to purchase the other software (which I own all of and LOVE), keep your eyes out for future sales-- every couple of months the software will go on sale for 10% off.

One thing to note about the warranty-- it is important that you understand that there are "consumable items" not covered by the warranty (flexshaft etc) - and also that you may be required to do some work on your machine with LHR's help to get it functioning - even while it is still under warranty- I don't personally think this is a big deal, but I feel it is important to note. It may even be worth calling up LHR to see if they can still give you the free HD belts but take off the 1 year warranty (the 30 day warranty is free) This is certainly what I would do and it would lower the price by $200, but I don't know if they are willing to do that (it can't hurt to ask though)

You know we're here for you once you take the plunge-- I remember the excitement when I bought my machine- I don't regret it one bit.

Lawrence

mtylerfl
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
...3 - I would not buy the "full bit set" as most folks (including me) don't use most of the bits...

You made me think...

It is certainly true that most people don't use the majority of bits in the full Bit Set, other than the 60 and 90 degree bits used mostly for simple Centerline lettering/carving. Too bad, though. There are tons of creative possibilities for the decorative ogees, round-over, end-mill and ballnose bits, if one uses their imagination. A new user probably wouldn't quite know how to fully and creatively incorporate them into a design layout until they've become familiar with the vector, route, offset and depth profile tools.

When I create the POM's, there have been MANY times that I would have rather used one or two of the "specialty" bits, rather than a raster carve (which is much slower than a vector carve/cut, duh) for certain design elements. However, we all decided a long time ago to design the POM's so that a person was not required to buy a 'special' bit to run a project. I think the main concern was that some people may become "offended" if they actually had to buy a bit. :) (Early exceptions were the Wheeled Toys project and the Umbrella Stand project I designed several years ago...both require the 1/4" ballnose as part of the project run...I "snuck" those projects through, I guess!).

Heck, I buy all kinds of different bit sizes and configurations for my "brand-x" CNC all the time. I have no hesitation to acquire a bit for a specific project if it improves efficiency or quality. Plus, having an assortment of different bits on hand actually inspire me to use them on other projects!

mykee50
09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I just went ahead and bit the bullet. I ordered the $1400 set-up. Plus 2ea. 1/8" cutting bits, 1ea. 1/16 carving bit, and the Centerline Text and Conforming Vector software. All from LHR. Thanks to all of ya's who steered me in the right direction. A big thanks to Lawrence for itemizing things for me!!

Now the long wait......

Thanks again, Mike :-D

fwharris
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Mike,

Great choice with starting out with this set up.

TerryT
09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Congratulations Mike! Be careful. It can get to ya. You may find it hard to go to work in the mornings and stay home and play instead!

lawrence
09-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Excellent-- do you have plans for your first carve? I highly recommend starting VERY simple (I did a name) - start with a board that you know is flat, square, and parallel and ensure you have an extra 7 inches (I often do 8 just to be safe) longer than your carve will be. I also recommend you post your MPC here the first time you carve along with the details of your board "here's my MPC- my board is _ x _ x _ in size, and we'll make sure to walk you through what buttons to press as you are given options. This isn't totally necessary but it does help cut down on user error.

Another option (and this is what I've done with some folks) is to PM me and we can arrange for me to be on the phone with you when you start your first carve. I'm more than happy to do so if you'd like, but understand if you'd rather just dive in (that's what I did... though after a lot of reading!)

Glad you made your purchase- now make sure you download the software from here
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/products/software/cwdesigner.php
and play around with it (unless you have already done so)

Lawrence

ladjr
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Congradulations Mike. We have all been where you are, it is a exciting time. Take it slow and don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum.

Ike
09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for of the info. There seems to be a lot of people willing to help a guy out on this forum, thanks again.

I see prices jump around a little depending on who you buy from. Here is what I've found for the C system. They all come with the 200hr/1yr warranty.

Sears; Not Available
Amazon; $1599.99 plus about $160 tax for me. Free 2 day shipping (I have what they call Prime shipping), no HD belts. Total about $1760.00.
LHR; $1399.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts included ($140 value), total about $1480.00.
LHR; $2050.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts, 11 pc Full Bit Set ($400), Scanning Probe ($300), 1/8" Cutting Bit ($40). Total about $2132.00 saving about $90 on the extras.

Someone said that LHR was having a Labor Day special. Is that the "Hot Sale" that'a on the website or is there something even better out there? I'll buy today if there IS a better Labor Day Special!!

Thanks for the help guy's (and Gal's if any), Mike ;)

Since when does Amazon charge tax? Plus are they charging 10% tax? It comes from Sparks Nevada and the tax should be 8.25 % or 8.75 %. I went to Amazon and no tax was charged and free shipping. I don't know why they would charge you tax? LHR is probably the best deal! Anyway hope you enjoy your new machine! Sorry just in case somebody wants a CW from Amazon and they may think tax will be charge. Again I don't know why they would charge you, but when I made a test order it was $1599.00!

Ike

ladjr
09-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Some state have been suiting Amazon and they have agreed to charge sales tax. Nevada has a agreement but I don't remember when it starts. I think it was 2013 or 2014. Washington may have signed a agreement.

lawrence
09-03-2012, 02:04 AM
please note- if you take my advice for the CMT 60 degree bit-- you want the one with the 1/2 inch shank-- the link doen't seem to be working, but amazon carries it- I linked the 1/4 inch shank before-

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I believe in Texas you now have to pay tax on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ike
09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow I didn't know, but I don't watch the news much. I guess Washington the state is being charged tax? In California it still is not. I don't charge tax on my website, guess I better look into the tax thing! Still Connie prove LHR is the better deal! So he went the correct way! But $160.00 is 10% tax and that is HIGH!!!

Ike

mykee50
09-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Since when does Amazon charge tax? Plus are they charging 10% tax? It comes from Sparks Nevada and the tax should be 8.25 % or 8.75 %. I went to Amazon and no tax was charged and free shipping. I don't know why they would charge you tax? LHR is probably the best deal! Anyway hope you enjoy your new machine! Sorry just in case somebody wants a CW from Amazon and they may think tax will be charge. Again I don't know why they would charge you, but when I made a test order it was $1599.00!

Ike

I'm just lucky (haha) to live in the State where Amazon is headquartered, Washington. I have to pay tax on most everything that goes through them. Last I checked it was about 9.8%. I just rounded it to 10%. Mike

(just FYI we don't have a state income tax so they add a tax on just about everything else here. Never buy booze here. The tax is more than the cost of the product.)

BBrooks
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Mike,
You made a great deal and choices on your initial setup. There really is a great bunch of people and knowledge here. I got a good friend of mine to also avail himself of
the Labor Day sale and I hope he will be joining us here on the forums soon.
Cheers

I just went ahead and bit the bullet. I ordered the $1400 set-up. Plus 2ea. 1/8" cutting bits, 1ea. 1/16 carving bit, and the Centerline Text and Conforming Vector software. All from LHR. Thanks to all of ya's who steered me in the right direction. A big thanks to Lawrence for itemizing things for me!!

Now the long wait......

Thanks again, Mike :-D

Ike
09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm just lucky (haha) to live in the State where Amazon is headquartered, Washington. I have to pay tax on most everything that goes through them. Last I checked it was about 9.8%. I just rounded it to 10%. Mike

(just FYI we don't have a state income tax so they add a tax on just about everything else here. Never buy booze here. The tax is more than the cost of the product.)

YIKES!!!! 9.8% YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny an Amazon has a warehouse in Sparks, but it still comes from LHR and not Amazon! So going through LHR was the best way! Hope you really enjoy your new toy!

Ike