PDA

View Full Version : Content comment-

Julie Coffey
01-29-2007, 01:59 AM
I have a question- this is just an inquiry so please do not take offense. I have noticed that certain spam members are continuing to post their garbage, why haven't they been banned? I just noticed when looking at one persons 'name' it said they had 6 posts- I would think one is too many, especially considering the content. Deleting their 'stuff' isn't good enough IMHO.

I know its impossible to bar people from posting unless you take the board to a members only messages approved site. I am a moderator on another board which is closed and we monitor new posting members for a given period of time which has eliminated that sort of rubbish. But it does take considerable effort on the moderators part especially when the board is as active as this one.

Ok I've said enough - its late and my tolerance factor for this stuff on a site I really enjoy is in the red at the moment.

Have a good day everyone.

Julie

ChipMonk
01-29-2007, 03:28 AM
I first wondered that as well then noticed that the 'user' posts in several different 'catagories' on this forum within a minute or so. Each post would count as an 'entry' so it would only take the 'user' a minute (from looking at the time stamps) or so to get six plus entries. Not much time at all and hard to police unless you are glued to this forum 24/7. The other option is to give 'moderator powers' to other users that can delete post like that or to filter the users first few post but that would delay the users interaction time. At first I thought the 'user' looked the same from previous post done days ago but I think the users id is changed by only a letter. I suspect the moderators are 'deleting' the offending user but they are just creating another account. Perhaps they are creating the same ID after theirs is deleted so maybe locking their login instead of deleteing it would work better if they are recreating the login.

pkunk
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
We do what we can. Hopefully we'll get some new forum software soon that will enable us to ban/block the offenders.

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
The spam is generated by a spambot, and it just tries to post a buch of stuff really quick before being booted off the forum. CW is working on a fix to keep this crap from ever reaching the stage where it is posted.

The Bard
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
sorry, I can only be on 22/7

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 11:53 AM

Lazy. :P

Autodoc
01-29-2007, 12:11 PM

next you'll want potty breaks too ...

The Bard
01-29-2007, 12:16 PM
no, the chain around my ankle prevents breaks.

ChipMonk
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
next you'll want potty breaks too ...
From the picture secretly taken of his office I think they have taken care of that ;)

Julie Coffey
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Chip you should have put a warning on that photo not to be drinking anything before looking at it!

Is it ok if I share that photo with some friends?

Julie

BoardSilly
01-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Pour some coal oil on your shoes Bard, it will keep the ants from crawling up your legs and eating your candy a**. :D

ChipMonk
01-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Share away.. I just pulled it off the web. You might be able to grey shade it and carve it. :lol:

The Bard
01-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I hope so.... I can't last much longer...

swhitney
01-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The spam is generated by a spambot, and it just tries to post a buch of stuff really quick before being booted off the forum. CW is working on a fix to keep this crap from ever reaching the stage where it is posted.

the users are still listed in the memberlist, often with a link to questionable websites. If possible, the user, or at least the weblink should be deleted as well. most have "usa" or other country as location and have a "www" symbol in the appropriate column. looking at the title of the website is enough cause for removal.

Good luck, and thanx to CW for keeping the forum as clean as it has been

Scott

swhitney
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I see some of the offending users have been booted... THANK YOU

hopefully they will take the hint and stay out.... but then again, they are spambots....fuddley duddley

BobHill
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I see that the Forum is hosted by phpBB software (a favorite, and I also host a WEB site with it). Might try using Administrator's Tools to take the URL of the offending poster and put ** (wild cards) in place of the last two numbers of the URL and BLOCK it. This will prevent any one from that URL from posting and will catch the ever changing last two numbers that are generated from routers.

Bob

Greybeard
01-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Nice one Bob, I hope the team take that up. I'm taking about 6 off each morning from the same source.
Regards
John