PDA

View Full Version : Importing .jpg files

Don Phelps
01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
I am new at this and need some despreate help. I have a guy returning from over seas and he is retiring. I have tried to import the jpg of an Master Chiefs anchor but it looks like @!#!. Anyway I have attached the files if anyone can help make it work like the ones in the program I would be very greatful.

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
While I work with it, what about your import did you not like?

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Do some searcing (top right on screen) on the forums and you will find a lot of information on why importing pictures directly does not turn out well. Designer interprests shades of grey as depth information. Also, Jon Jantz did a tutorial on how to use Corel Draw to rodo logos so that they carve nice.

BoardSilly
01-29-2007, 03:02 PM
The larger the original image the better detail you will get out of it. Smaller images lose clarity when you enlarge them, while larger images remain clear when you reduce them.

Don Phelps
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
While I work with it, what about your import did you not like?

It turned out without much clarity and it had little sharp peaks all over it.

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
There is a lot of noise in that pic, espcially when you enlarge it. You should convert it to greyscale, then use either a masking tool and eraser to clean up the background, or just use the background eraser tool. If you are seeing the little sharp peaks in the importer window, then create the pattern and most of them actually go away (the carving bit can't manipulate something that small, so it just ignores them). They are caused by white noise along the edges of the picture content. You have to zoom way in on the jpg to see them with your eye.

The rope will be the biggest problem because the elements are small, but many. Once you convert to greyscale, you need to change several of the color difference to something closer. ie the rope is white with a black shadow. In 2D, this is necessary to create a shadow effect. In 3D carving, a lesser contrast will smooth the carving out. Instead of black against white, 70% grey next to 50% grey will look better because it is a less extreme transition.

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Don,

Your name sounds familiar..... Retired Navy Fire Control Chief, FCC(SW) here. Tin Can Sailor, 10 years of sea duty, 3 ships 27 countries.

What I would do is hit the Navy Exchange or Marine Corps Exchange as I know they all have a "I Love ME" section with Plaques of the Rating Badges, and Retirement Plaques with the Master Chief Anchor on it. Get one and a scanning probe and set yourself up for a garage production shop and the Fleet will come knocking at your door. You are in a unique location to give the award shops a run for there money. Also check the Good Will Store's too as many retirees donate there War Chest to Good Will... Might get lucky.

Lived 5 miles from the back gate of Camp Pendelton, CA and drove 48 miles a day to the Naval Base in San Diego for 8 of 13 years in Oceanside, CA.

My last Tin Can used as a Target off Hawaii.

http://www.uss-buchanan-ddg14.org/

AL

Jon Jantz
01-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi, Don...

I had a few minutes here before I hit the rack, so I grabbed an anchor out of CorelDraw clipart.. added some shading, the USN and stars. Got something pretty close...

If this looks like something you can use, let me know if you need it tweaked and I can do it...

Later,
Jon

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Jon,

You were just meritoriously advanced to the pay grade of E-8, Master Chief Corel Draw Artist. MCCDA

Congratulations !!!!

VERY NICE WORK !!!!

AL

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Is there a way to extract the star only from that pattern?
Thats the star I've been looking for for a while now .
Thanks

Greybeard
01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I think Bob Hill did a mini tutorial on creating that style of star some time back.
Have a search.

Sorry, Bob if it wasn't you and to whoever it was :D

John

BobHill
01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm just one of many, I suspect, John. A star is pretty popular for many such things and is pretty easy to do.

Bob

Jon Jantz
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
No problemo, Dan...

Here ya go.

Later, Jon

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks so much Jon, thats just what Iwhanted.
You guys with all these fancy compter programs make it look easy.
I'm luck to get around e-mail, but since getting my cw ,I'm learning more.
P.S. Did you get my PM on the location of the deer heads?

Don Phelps
01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Jon,
You are the greatest. It will work great. Thanks a million and maybe one day when I get the hang of this stuff I will be able to return the favor.

Don Phelps
01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks to everyone who had some helpful information. This will make a Master Chief a very happy person. Everyone here is fantasic

Sarge
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Is there a way to extract the star only from that pattern?
Thats the star I've been looking for for a while now .
Thanks

There's a very similar star in Favorites of the Designer.

Jon Jantz
05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Here ya go... have fun.

ramlin
05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
I played with it. just a sample

ramlin
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Cleaned up a little more