PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a Newbie - first visit

BobRoseliep
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Got my machine last Xmas and have used it for some simple stuff, mostly signs using purchased patterns and some simple projects also purchased. I am trying to design a board that will contain two rows of slightly rotated rectangular pockets, each row to contain 24 pockets each at 5/32 W x 2 1/16 L x 3/16 D, rotated 10 degrees CW and spaced 1.855 apart linearly, the rows will be mirrored horizontally. I was successful in getting the design accomplished using vector lines however when I tried to reopen the program I received a warning the the layout contained "duplicate vertices" and this was not acceptable. Board size is generous 3" x 54" x 3/4 thick (more than 3 1/2" at each end). Because of the warning I tried some test cuts on another board and it worked except the L of the slots was short due to the conflict. Finally I found that this condition of "duplicate vertices" applies to even a single slot. My question is how do I accomplish designing a slot that is rotated? I looked for tutorials and found the one on pocket cuts however there is nothing about how to rotate a pocket. Any and all help will be appreciated.

AskBud
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Got my machine last Xmas and have used it for some simple stuff, mostly signs using purchased patterns and some simple projects also purchased. I am trying to design a board that will contain two rows of slightly rotated rectangular pockets, each row to contain 24 pockets each at 5/32 W x 2 1/16 L x 3/16 D, rotated 10 degrees CW and spaced 1.855 apart linearly, the rows will be mirrored horizontally. I was successful in getting the design accomplished using vector lines however when I tried to reopen the program I received a warning the the layout contained "duplicate vertices" and this was not acceptable. Board size is generous 3" x 54" x 3/4 thick (more than 3 1/2" at each end). Because of the warning I tried some test cuts on another board and it worked except the L of the slots was short due to the conflict. Finally I found that this condition of "duplicate vertices" applies to even a single slot. My question is how do I accomplish designing a slot that is rotated? I looked for tutorials and found the one on pocket cuts however there is nothing about how to rotate a pocket. Any and all help will be appreciated.First, please attach your MPC so we may see your actual design.
Second, do you by chance have the new 2D software package?
Third, are you using the 1.185 version of designer?
AskBud

lynnfrwd
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Fourth, say hello to Bud...our resident guru and machine master!!!

AskBud
08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Lynn gives me too much credit!
I'm just an old codger (73) with lots of energy and free time. I enjoy helping others and making patterns, which I have in the Pattern Depot. I do not work for LHR, but I'm on good speaking terms like many other members.

I do not like to out guess peoples problems, Therefore, I often ask to see the MPC and list a series of questions (sometimes even giving one of my numbers to call). This is my way of getting to the root of each situation faster. I hate to send people down rabbit trails. I refuse to advise anyone to begin taking things apart until I know more about the actual problem (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!).
AskBud

BobRoseliep
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Fourth things first - Hi Bud!
I have the latest software package - Model Number 133.217540 Manual Rev 1.06
I am using 1.185 version of designer.
I have attached the primary piece and the last test sample55511[ATTACH]55512[ATTACH]
Hope the attachment worked this is a new format for me - I'm also a hunt and peck typist.

BobRoseliep
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Bud!

I can't begin to tell you how much you have helped this poor Newbie. Your solution (and patience) not only solved my problem, your advise on using 2G for arrays will be beneficial in future projects. I learned more about Carvewright today than in the last 8 months. Once again: Thank You, Thank you, Thank You

Fat Lip

wlkjr
08-23-2012, 06:32 PM
I know I'm getting old but what did I miss?

AskBud
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I know I'm getting old but what did I miss?We talked about how to rotate a rectangle by making it a carve area, and then making that a pattern. From that point you may delete the original, bring in the pattern rotate as needed, and then in his case outline that figure and delete the pattern. He had already chosen to draw a single line, but did not see the field/icon to set the angle.

From there we talked about using the 2D software package (Copy Offset) to set up his array. Since Bob did not have that package, but did have 1.185 loaded, I set his array and passed him the new MPC. At some point he may purchase the package. He is also going the go back and see what went wrong as he set his array using just copy & paste, just to better learn the design process he currently has available. At some point he developed a series of errors, which could have been avoided.

His better half had him in a time crunch and the new MPC gave him some breathing room for now.
AskBud