PDA

View Full Version : decorative bits

karossii
08-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi all!

As I recently posted in another thread (in the buy/sell/trade forum), I have some decorative bits I got with my 'B' machine a looong time ago, which I have never used even once so far.

Granted, I have only a few dozen hours on my machine from a handfull of projects I ran... BUT!

I am looking to upgrade my machine to a carvetight. And I was contemplating either selling these bits, or selling the machine with the bits, and buying a new 'C' machine instead of upgrading.

I have decided on the upgrade, now - so I am either going to keep and convert the bits, or sell them.

I never saw a use for them yet. What are the uses these bits get put to?
Assuming I try to focus on lithophanes and some simple picture style carves, with the ocassional project of the month type project - would I need to keep them?
Or would I be better off selling the set and buying some extra carving/cutting bits?

Thanks!

badbert
08-19-2012, 11:34 PM
The 3/8 jointing bit is a necessity to calibrate. The V bits make great text if you have centerline text. It really depends on how much you expect to get for them. Sears has some of them on clearance, for I believe $79.

lawrence
08-19-2012, 11:43 PM
I've used the V carve bits quite a bit, but now I use another manufacturer's for my centerline. I have used them in my router table a couple of times and they are fair general bits as well (the bullnose is particularly useful) Which ones do you have? Maybe we can work out a trade for carving bits if you decide you don't want to keep them, but to be honest they can be useful sometimes.

You can never have enough carving bits you know.... they are like clamps :)

Lawrence

karossii
08-19-2012, 11:54 PM
I have the set (11 bits total I think) that was sold as an upgrade to the B model, in a plastic case (with a rounded top, and magnetic back to stick on the machine, I guess)... I have an offer for $180 for the set, I see one on ebay for $200... so it seems a fair price. If I sell, I will see if he is still interested first, since he already made me an offer, and it was a fair one.

I just don't want to sell them and then find out I really do need them and have to spend over $300 to get new ones.

karossii
08-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Here's a picture I found online - mine are packed away in the box my carvewright is in, never yet opened or used.

badbert
08-20-2012, 01:38 AM
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-closeout-6-pc-edge-bit-set-for/p-00921782000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

karossii
08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Those are in the set I have, but only about half of the bits in it.

Again, just trying to figure out if I might need these bits enough to avoid selling them...?

What types of things are they used for in the CarveWright carves?

fwharris
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Ken,

As others have stated, 3/8" bit is used for some of the machine calibrations, V bits for center line and vector and the others for decorative edges.
In some of the pictures I used the ogee bits to route the inside edges of the carve regions.

karossii
08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks Floyd!

I may have to try and come up there one of these days and see how you do what you do... I've moved about an hour further away from you (I'm down in the springs, instead of up in northglenn now) - but still not too far!

And, I've noticed that the DC you sell now is different than the one I got from you a long time back; is there any reason I should 'upgrade' to the newer model, or do they work about the same?

cestout
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
In my opinion, it is really worth it to upgrade to the CT. I bought some of the decorator bits that Sears was just selling, but I really don't know if I will ever use them. The new sweep option does all that and even gets the inside corners sharp - not possible with a decorative bit.
Clint

fwharris
08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Floyd!

I may have to try and come up there one of these days and see how you do what you do... I've moved about an hour further away from you (I'm down in the springs, instead of up in northglenn now) - but still not too far!

And, I've noticed that the DC you sell now is different than the one I got from you a long time back; is there any reason I should 'upgrade' to the newer model, or do they work about the same?

Ken,

Yes we do need to get together some time, sure would be great!. With the new insert design there is an increase in air flow vs the old style (not pulling off of the bottom on the insert) plus having the connection off to the side it does give a better access into the machine.

I'm attaching an example showing the inside route for you to look at..