PDA

View Full Version : stepover ,z axis height adjustment & velocity

55president
08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm wondering if there is an adjustment for stepover for the CW machine. It's my understanding that it carves
at 128 lines per inch as a default , Is there any way to change this to maybe 64 lines per inch or any other
parameter?

also Is there a way to adjust the z axis "jump" ? when the z axis raises up to go to the next point, Is there
a way to get the "jump" higher?

and finally when you are loading the project onto the card, The differnt carve qualities:
are these determined by the velocity of the Bit? lower quality - higher velocity -
better carve -- lower velocity?

Thanks

FXP

DickB
08-20-2012, 08:18 AM
From the software manual:
Quality Settings
The Quality Setting selected for the project will change the detail of the carve as well as the amount it will take
to carve. The following options are available from the Quality settings drop down box:
Draft: Requires the minimum time to carve but spacing of the passes
will be noticeable. This setting is useful for large carvings that will
not be viewed up close.
Normal: This is the standard balance between carving time and
output quality. Good quality carvings though some passes may still
be visible with this setting.
Best: Requires a longer time to carve than the Normal setting. High
quality carving with no passes visible
Optimal: Maximum carving time with the most accurate carving
results.

The z-axis jump as you put it is not adjustable.

cestout
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Think about the raster on your TV. Standard TV is 480 lines, HD is 720 lines (bi-directional) or 1080 lines (with a return = HD - bi-directional = blu ray). The difference in the quality settings is the number of passes to cover the same distance. You said 128 lpi for normal - I don't know if that is the number, but draft would be less than that, best would be more than that and optimal would probably be twice that.
Clint

55president
08-20-2012, 04:33 PM
This is called stepover. If there is .015 stepover then it equates to 66.6 passes per inch. Is there any information
about what the stepover is for draft, best, optimal would be?

Also as far as velocity goes, do these setting also change the velocity of
the bit?

DickB
08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
This is called stepover. If there is .015 stepover then it equates to 66.6 passes per inch. Is there any information
about what the stepover is for draft, best, optimal would be?

Also as far as velocity goes, do these setting also change the velocity of
the bit?

I'm not aware of this being published. It would be pretty easy to set up an experiment (like a 1" square carve region) and find out the answer to both questions. Let us know the results if you do it.