PDA

View Full Version : Not reading length of board correctly.

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm trying to carve a memorial cross for a garden. The pattern is 17 inches long by 8 inches wide. The board is 24 inches long by 9 1/2 wide. It's rough cut red cedar with the ends taped. I keep getting the message in the picture. When I have the machine measure the board it's just shy of 24 inches long but every time I try to carve I get a different measurement. I'm confused.

Thank you
Ambrose

AskBud
08-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to carve a memorial cross for a garden. The pattern is 17 inches long by 8 inches wide. The board is 24 inches long by 9 1/2 wide. It's rough cut red cedar with the ends taped. I keep getting the message in the picture. When I have the machine measure the board it's just shy of 24 inches long but every time I try to carve I get a different measurement. I'm confused.

Thank you
Ambrose

55455First, place a run of masking tape on the bottom, where the brass rolled passes.
Second, if it is still short, reduce the length of your MPC.
AskBud

fwharris
08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
How are you setting this up at the machine? Stay under rollers yes or no? What other options does if give you if you arrow down on the prompt?

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks Bud. On the original board I taped all four sides and still getting the same. I even cut a new board and got the same response. I'm going to try your idea. I'll let you know in a few minuets.

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you Bud. I changed the length on the mpc from 17 to 16 and the pattern is carving. Don't understand why that made a difference but it did.

Every carve is a learning experience and I am great for the forum and the expertise of those who know what they are doing.

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 03:05 PM
fwharris: when I loaded the board it was asking if I wanted to stay under rollers and I said yes. I always say yes I figure that's safest and I don't know enough to know when to say no. It would then proceed to measure and then give me the message in the picture. I did as Bud suggested and it's carving.

fwharris
08-18-2012, 03:29 PM
fwharris: when I loaded the board it was asking if I wanted to stay under rollers and I said yes. I always say yes I figure that's safest and I don't know enough to know when to say no. It would then proceed to measure and then give me the message in the picture. I did as Bud suggested and it's carving.

When you say "yes" to staying under the rollers it will automatically add 7" to your design length (design size 17 + 7 = 24) and will be looking for a board at least 24" long. If the machine measures the board just a tad shorter then you will get that prompt. Anything longer then the prompt should be how you want to place the carving (center, on end or corner).

Saying "no" to staying under the rollers the machine will be looking for a board the size of your design. It your carving board is at least 7" longer (I usually add 8") the machine will see the board being larger than the design size and will ask how you want to place your carving (center, on end or corner).

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you fwharris: I think I read something to that effect when I first got the equipment. Of course with all this new information it's so easy to forget.

kcc2012
08-18-2012, 05:01 PM
The carving came out and unfortunately just like I designed it. So I redesigned it and back to carving it again.