PDA

View Full Version : sandpaper belts

08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Who can I buy sandpaper belts from, besides LRW. Their shipping rates are out of sight for the amount. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

badbert
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Replacement Traction Belts for the CompuCarve™/CarveWright™ machines:
http://customsandingbelts.com/
specify "j" material, Aluminum Oxide Open Coat W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Dry

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
The trick many of us have learned is to order the most common Consumable Parts like the Sand Paper Belts a few at a time and also order the FSC Cable too as "I" consider it a Consumable and much cheaper than a board foot of wood when you keep trying a project with a bad FSC Cable. It is just thin flat copper covered in plastic. It bends and bends as the machine moves in Y. Eventually it will fail, especially if it has any sharp angle bends.

Other things I would recommend to have is some Roller Bearings both the center tapped and the offset tapped. The Metric Screws would be good too....

A Board Detector too....

YES, that batch is expensive and not everyone can buy a bunch of spare parts to have when needed... I do it as a business so it's different for me.. Time is Money... Many repairs have been made over the years having the spare parts when I needed them.

I saw a Sears Link to the repair parts posted a while back... Not sure if the Sears Shipping is any more to your liking. The trick is to make some projects to pay for the spare parts.

Good Luck,

AL

08-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Thank you very much for the info, badbert. I have ordered the belts. My problem with LRW is not their price, but their shipping costs, which is far over the average price charged by everyone else. It says on the store site that they may be adding to the shipping cost?

TerryT
08-17-2012, 06:48 PM
On the roller bearings... my experience is that they can be cleaned and reused several times before having to replace them. They usually bind or even lock up due to fine sawdust build up rather than wear or damage. A shot of WD40, work them around a bit then blow them out with air hose. Then apply a shot of chain lube with moly to the inside race. Alternatively, moly engine assembly grease to the flat side and heat gently with a hot air gun. Try to get the warmed liquid grease to run inside the bearing race and you are good for another year. But if you are the type that would have a proclivity towards setting yourself on fire then just replace them.

DickB
08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree. My son and I used to race RC cars that used bearings like these. To be competitive it was essential to clean and lube the bearings after every race session. We actually disassembled the bearings by removing a c-clip and dust shield - very precise work. But it made a difference. I like LPS 1, a grease-less lube, for this.