PDA

View Full Version : Carving centerline text on veneer and other things

DocWheeler
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I was not sure about the title, but I wanted to share something I learned.

I have carved several name-plates just to figure out good and bad things to do.
They have all been about 12" long and about 2" high; and mainly maple on either walnut or purpleheart.

The first one I did had a small base - just a piece in the back to have it sit correctly.
The next two had card-holders, and the last one had two card-holders and text on a curved surface.
I'm still learning, but I wanted to share the way I carved text on the curved surface.

I tried several veneers before using the two-layer veneer from Rockler - it was thick enough.
(Don't try to glue two pieces of very thin veneer together with wood-glue one-handed - yuk!)
I used double-sided tape to carve the veneer - not easy to get back apart though.
Since the letters needed to be small, I used a sixty-degree bit that I got from Ron Justice,
this 1/8" bit uses one flute and goes to a sharp point - Ron probably still sells them.

Getting the veneer to the correct size was a challenge until I tried my twelve-inch sander.
Using contact glue is always a challenge, but with my wife's help We did it.

The two-card name-plate was for Michael Tyler since he wears more than one hat normally.

Without Ron's bit, my large disk-sander, and my radial-arm saw, these would have been a
lot harder to have done.

dbfletcher
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Super job! I always love pieces that use contrasting woods and/or finishes.

ladjr
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Is this a wood with a thin layer on top

Leo

DocWheeler
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Leo,

I guess it was not very clear what I was talking about!
The centerline text on veneer is on the back of Michael's name-plate.
The "name" part is quarter-inch maple inserted in a pre-carved region, and then re-carved.

I carved the rounded part between the card-holders and then applied the veneer after glue-up and sanding.
sorry, I talked too much about other stuff and not enough in the explanation of the title.

cnsranch
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Nice job Ken - good to see your "at it".

Regards

mtylerfl
08-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Had lots of folks comment at the recent CW Discover Conference how beautiful the business card holder is! Thanks again, Ken, for the wonderful gift! It goes with me wherever I go now and is one of the nicest gifts I've ever received. I have it in my office when I'm not traveling...I admire it every day!

DocWheeler
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I thank you each for your comments.
And, Michael, I thank you for putting it in the show-n-tell at the conference.

What I need to do is go take a picture of the 1/8" sixty-degree bit that I got from Ron Justice.

Digitalwoodshop
08-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Very Nice Work and Design.

AL

lawrence
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
gorgeous work indeed-- excellent craftsmanship and wonderful layout. The CW work accents things very nicely without being overwhelming (something I tend to have difficulty with)

Lawrence

badbert
08-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Very Classy!