PDA

View Full Version : Old excerpt... I wonder if this is dead?

dbfletcher
08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
After LG mentioned "way back when the raster depth was .9... (I really thought it was 1.0 but have not located an authoritative reference yet)", I came across this FAQ from way back in 2007. About the time I purchased my machine.

Anyways, I had totally forgot about this promised feature and I wonder if it is officially dead now.. or still may see the light of day sometime.

Can the machine use G-Code programs?The software cannot import or export in G-code presently. Advanced versions of the software
will have the ability to import and export G-code.
When will the advanced software package be available?
The advanced software package is scheduled for release in 2007. The price has not been
determined yet.

The source document can be found here: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/FAQ_07-20-07.pdf

PCW
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
I remember that now but I had forgot all about it. I think they would do real good and I could vision LHR taking over the market if the pricing was reasonable.:mrgreen:

Thanks for re-posting.

liquidguitars
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
(I really thought it was 1.0 but have not located an authoritative reference yet)",

I just checked last month when i setup my laptop for Texas con, i had the opportunity to install the first Beta for kicks and yes it was 0.90.

I sure at some point the Mr. G be a reality however with the new version of Designer tools and the upgraded version of Mr. "Make pattern" you can port over to Visual mill right now!

dbfletcher
08-15-2012, 10:11 PM
This might of been the source of my confusion... I did buy the scanning probe when I first bought my machine, and here is an excerpt from that manual. It kinda of eludes to carving at 1.0. Doesnt really matter... i'll admit I must have been mistaken on my previous thoughts... im just glad I wasn't totally inventing stuff. ;)

Just like in carving mode the maximum scan depth is 1.0".
Source: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Manuals/Probe_reference_guide.pdf

A (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Manuals/Probe_reference_guide.pdf)nyways, since my 3D printer and Shapeoko also work off of G-Code, my mind is just spinning with the possibilities of perhaps someday getting files that could be used for different functions on all of the machines... and all speaking a common language (g-code) although I am certain there will be dialect issues between machine

edit: it is also quite possible that looking at the early published specs, they just stated the max cutting depth of 1.0. I didnt see where they made any mention of raster depth, so i probably also just wrongly assumed it was applying to both functions.

jgowrie
05-29-2017, 09:39 AM
NECRO time...

I have this question ( although it seems the answer is clear as it's now 2017 )

I have been thinking about the option of moving to a more robust carving platform but the proprietary nature of the carvewright files I have accumulated over the years is a deterrent... it's one of the reasons I try and avoid anything proprietary nowadays.

But it does seem like it would be a great way for LHR to bring in additional income by opening their software up for use on other machines via g code export. Let's face the facts.. I think many of us came to Carvewright specifically for how easy it is to go from idea to finished carving without needing to learn all the intricacies of other standard CNC software.

I would probably keep using Carvewright software and I would also actually start buying their plugins if I knew I was free to move on to another carving platform if I chose to or if it made sense due to more commercial demands on the machine.

SteveNelson46
05-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Proprietary hardware and software is the LHR paradigm. If you stop to think about it, it has kept you from moving on to other machines and software. Why not just buy another machine of your choice and keep both. The Carvewright has some pretty unique features that would warrant keeping and using it for some projects. Then you will have the best of both worlds and it would ease the learning curve of a new software program and machine.