PDA

View Full Version : $1.97 compucarve 1/8 cutting bits with QC adapter

lawrence
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
$1.97 cutting bits. Just wanted to pass on this deal, I'm not sure how many are left (as of Sunday there were about 300 left for sale) Remember, these are not the pressed adapter bits, these are the old style quick change adapters on them which can be removed. I use them in my Rock chuck with no problems, but LHR does not recommend using carbide bits in non-pressed chucks so purchase at your own risk.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-8-in-carbide-cutting-bit-with-bit/p-00921775000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Hope this helps someone,

Lawrence

ps - no carving bits are left because some jerk bought them all

pps- I'll be selling some carving bits in the near future - still working out pricing etc. once my stock arrives I'll let y'all know.

LDR

TerryT
08-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just bought 10. I wonder who that guy was that bought all the carving bits! LOL

Deolman
08-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks lawrence, I just ordered 5.

easybuilt
08-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks Lawrence for the heads up on the cutting bits. I bought 20, that should hold me for a lifetime.

badbert
08-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks Lawrence! I just bought 10! And if you are serious about Carving bits... I am in! Let me know!

lawrence
08-15-2012, 02:01 AM
trust me when I say I am serious.... I'll post pics when the shipping crates arrive :) LOML is getting nervous....

Lawrence

Deolman
08-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Just for fun I did a search for CompuCarve on the Sears site. Besides the 1/8" bits they have a "6 pc. Edge Bit Set for CompuCarve Machines" for $79.97. These bits are also incorporated with the old style chick change adapters. Here's the link:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-closeout-6-pc-edge-bit-set-for/p-00921782000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

easybuilt
08-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks Lawrence! Your the best.
That guy sfsales2000 who sales our shared patterns on Ebay is selling used carving bits for $25. WHY would someone buy USED bits??

chebytrk
08-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Dude I just bought 6! Wish I could have bought carving bits! Seems like you have to ship them as I couldn't set up a local store pick up here in Dallas.

liquidguitars
08-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just bought 12... but i use the 3/16 now in my tooling oh well...

henry1
08-15-2012, 05:58 AM
$1.97 cutting bits. Just wanted to pass on this deal, I'm not sure how many are left (as of Sunday there were about 300 left for sale) Remember, these are not the pressed adapter bits, these are the old style quick change adapters on them which can be removed. I use them in my Rock chuck with no problems, but LHR does not recommend using carbide bits in non-pressed chucks so purchase at your own risk.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-8-in-carbide-cutting-bit-with-bit/p-00921775000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Hope this helps someone,

Lawrence

ps - no carving bits are left because some jerk bought them all

pps- I'll be selling some carving bits in the near future - still working out pricing etc. once my stock arrives I'll let y'all know.

LDR
Thank you for the tip I ordered 12 of them keep me going for a while

chebytrk
08-15-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm hoping sears will find another stash of carving bits somewhere & put them up for sale.

CNC Carver
08-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'm sorry I was too late. Maybe I'll just need to purchase them off ebay when they get sold as used. NOT I won't purchase from that fool!

skeeterman
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
always late and a dollar short. they went fast, Lawrence i would be interested in buying some carving bits off of ya when you decide to sell
steve

dbfletcher
08-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Ya I jumped on it as soon as I saw this thread this morning. I tried to order 10, but said only 6 where available, so I guess I must have got the last 6. Sorry for all you late sleepers! ;)

always late and a dollar short. they went fast, Lawrence i would be interested in buying some carving bits off of ya when you decide to sell
steve

lawrence
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Wow, those went fast... I'm glad some of you were able to get in before they sold out and really sorry some of you didn't catch it in time. Maybe they will find more, but the impression I got from the parts supervisor (I spent some time talking to her on the phone on Sunday) was that they were getting rid of all their stock.

Lawrence

henry1
08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Wow, those went fast... I'm glad some of you were able to get in before they sold out and really sorry some of you didn't catch it in time. Maybe they will find more, but the impression I got from the parts supervisor (I spent some time talking to her on the phone on Sunday) was that they were getting rid of all their stock.

Lawrence
Keep it up Lawrence please let us know again and thx again

dbfletcher
08-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I just wish we could find the SOB who snapped up all the carving bits... ;)

CNC Carver
08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Lawerance I'm interested in some carving bits if you decide you have extra. I'd rather not purchase them on ebay from this seller/pattern stealer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Carving-Bit-for-Sears-Craftsman-Compucarve-Carvewright-CNC-Machines-/221102243049?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item337ab87ce9

lawrence
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I'll absolutely be selling some - I need to contact LHR to check on a few things first- I understand 100% if they don't think it appropriate for me to advertise/sell through this forum as though they don't sell this exact bit (these are the slightly shorter bits that can only carve .8 deep) it could still be a conflict.... I wouldn't ever want to create any bad blood. I also want to make sure I am referencing these bits correctly when I sell them so that I don't misrepresent them (they are the old quick change bits with removable adapters and are slightly shorter than the ones sold by LHR now that can carve deeper than .8

I also don't want to create any bad feelings with anyone here with my "entrepreneurial enterprise". One side of me feels a bit guilty buying them all, but the enterprising side of me feels like I'm taking a legitimate chance at a business opportunity. Hopefully my pricing will be low enough that I can satisfy both sides of my emotional see saw. I just feel like if I was going to buy any for resale, I should really buy them all... and if I didn't, someone else would.... it also has made for some good "supply and demand" discussions around our dinner table with my 8 and 10 year old boys.

I think I'm going to be doing a test run at a highly discounted rate to see how they sell - I'd like to do it here and on a forum like the CNC art guild but like I said I'll have to talk to LHR and Jason before I can get that far. I also want to have the bits "in hand" before I go much further into pricing etc. but I'd definitely like to sell in bulk if possible to help recoup my expenditures fairly quickly. (I have 30 lbs of bits on the way)

As long as the owners of this forum etc. don't mind me selling here, you guys here on the forum and on the CNC art guild definitely get the first go at these bits before I put them onto Ebay though- that just feels like the right thing to do with all the help y'all have given me.

Lawrence

TerryT
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I also don't want to create any bad feelings with anyone here with my "entrepreneurial enterprise". The progressive in me feels a bit guilty buying them all, but the enterprising side of me feels like I'm taking a legitimate chance at a business opportunity. Hopefully my pricing will be low enough that I can satisfy both sides of my emotional see saw. I just feel like if I was going to buy any for resale, I should really buy them all... and if I didn't, someone else would.... it also has made for some good "supply and demand" discussions around our dinner table with my 8 and 10 year old boys.
Lawrence

If you hadn't I would have.

dbfletcher
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Ditto...and I suspect that even if you priced them double or triple what you paid for them, they would still be at a significant discount to LHR. As far as the length goes, I though .8 was the current depth for the carving bit?!?!? It used to be 1" for both cutting and carving, but after one of the upgrades the reduced the carving depth to .8. I guess if they increased it again, I missed it. I still try to participate in this forum, but I'll admit I haven't spent nearly as much time here as I used to. To many other interested getting my attention lately (3D Printer (MendelMax), Laser Cutter (FS Laser), desktop cnc (shapeoko), autonomous quadcaopter (Arducopter)) They really need to start adding more hours to the day. Just never enough time.

PCW
08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Ditto...and I suspect that even if you priced them double or triple what you paid for them, they would still be at a significant discount to LHR. As far as the length goes, I though .8 was the current depth for the carving bit?!?!? It used to be 1" for both cutting and carving, but after one of the upgrades the reduced the carving depth to .8. I guess if they increased it again, I missed it. I still try to participate in this forum, but I'll admit I haven't spent nearly as much time here as I used to. To many other interested getting my attention lately (3D Printer (MendelMax), Laser Cutter (FS Laser), desktop cnc (shapeoko), autonomous quadcaopter (Arducopter)) They really need to start adding more hours to the day. Just never enough time.

Doug

I think the current software version increased the depth to .82 if I remember correctly. It was listed in the change log.

liquidguitars
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I think the current software version increased the depth to .82 if I remember correctly. It was listed in the change log

I had to pull a few strings, we now can raster cut through 13/16" thick wood without cutting the last few thousands by hand thanks to the CT inprovements. Now the software will....

liquidguitars
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I think it was .9 for raster back in the age before time.

(3D Printer (MendelMax), Laser Cutter (FS Laser), desktop cnc (shapeoko), autonomous quadcaopter (Arducopter))

man you have been distracted. always good to see your post here tho..

CNC Carver
08-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Lawrence, Sounds good. Lets us know when you settle on aprice and get approval to sell. I'm sure lots of us will support your "entrepreneurial enterprise ". You have definately given many things here that all of us have learned from. If you don't get approval I'd also purchase from ebay from you but that will just add to some additional costs. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

gumbo
08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Lawrence, My bit is as dull as a butterknife been cutting corian so I am in the market for bits as we speak.(Day late and a dollar short the story of my life). I am definetly interested if and when you decide to sell. Feel free to contact me

chebytrk
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Me too... I could use a few...... :)

Old Salt
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Me to just pm me.
Gary

mikemi
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Lawrence,

If you get a list going you can add my name. I can always use some.

Thanks,
Mike

lawrence
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
All right all here's an update. I just got off the phone with LHR and they were GREAT (as usual, Connie is really helpful). They are cool with me selling bits on the buy/sell/trade part of the forum and even gave me some great advice on how to determine exactly which kind of bits I'll be selling (measuring flute length etc) I really have to tip my hat to LHR for leaving this avenue open to us for sales. It will probably cut into their sales and they know it - IMHO they are being very generous and I appreciate it very much.

The packages are supposed to arrive to my house tomorrow and when they do I will figure out exactly what I have (whether they are the short or the long fluted bits) and will see what I can come up with for packaging. Once these two things have been done I will let y'all know the final pricing etc. I want to make sure that I am prepared to package and post out the packages before I make them available for sale.

I also appreciate all the PMs and messages and I'll try to take those into account when I first make them available.

Lawrence

easybuilt
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds Great Lawrence and that was wonderful for LHR to support you too!
I know what ever price you set it will be fair because you have to sort , package and ship them. Plus any expenses to process the transaction.
Thanks Lawrence!!

fwharris
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Lawrence,

Sounds like things are falling in place!

Any chance of having LHR press on the adapters????

liquidguitars
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
If I did not know better is seems like Sears is dumping product to mess with LHR on the short term. I like to add that time is money so check out the 3/16 ball and cut bit that LHR sells and integrate it if detail allows, most of my projects now use the 3/16.

liquidguitars
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
i just had Sears send me a photo of the bits we ordered, I hope they work...

hehe heh...

lawrence
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
lol

Lawrence

liquidguitars
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Lawrence not to worry you could always make a magic " bed of nails" :) please take a few photos of the cutters in the box for us...

bluecobra
08-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey Lawrence, I'd be interested in grabbing some carving bits as well. Let me/us know what you decide.

PS: will you be utilizing PayPal?

chebytrk
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Nawwww.......... those are probably all 3/16 carving bits with the rounded tips on that bed in pic ..... those wouldn't hurt no way. He ain't no Chuck Norris... he's a Sissy La La ... Chuck Norris would use 1/16 carving bits ! LOL ! :-D

Lawrence not to worry you could always make a magic " bed of nails" :) please take a few photos of the cutters in the box for us...

rcdages
08-17-2012, 10:10 AM
i just had Sears send me a photo of the bits we ordered, I hope they work...

hehe heh...

This looks to be a Dremel carving tool bit.

lynnfrwd
08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I think someone is yanking someone else's chain! LOL!

Smoken D
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
LG sniffing too much walnut sawdust lately? Wear your mask:-D

atauer
08-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I think all his fancy finishing may have finished his brain...

JK

My high school physics teacher had one of those beds of nails. He showed it to us and explained how it was done. It was a pretty cool lesson. Don't worry, no teachers were harmed.

easybuilt
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey Lawrence I also was able to order one of the carving bits and this is what I received??? Looks like you better check what you receive.LOL!!

lynnfrwd
08-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Poor Lawrence, ya'll leave him alone. I'm sure he is already biting his nails and worried more about his wife than you guys!!

lawrence
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
oh no, what am I going to do with several gross of these!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Capture-9.jpg

y'all might notice a little runout....
;)
Lawrence

TerryT
08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I've used those before. Drilling around corners.

Deolman
08-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Lawrence,

Can't you just use a hammer or a vice to straighten them out before shipping them. That will minimize the run-out. LOL

chebytrk
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
That's exactly what happened to my bit when I super glued my kick plate out......... Hey, it was real good glue! Kick plate didn't budge! :eek:

badbert
08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Those work really good in the drill press for making inside radius grooves!

chebytrk
08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
OK... I think I"ll bow out of this thread. Our luck some new person will come on later and swear by what were talking about here and wonder why his/her CW isn't working right. Ha Ha LOL Adios Amigos!

lawrence
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
nah, this is more like it.....

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bits1.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bits3.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/bits2.jpg

They shorted me a bit, but I don't reckon I'm going to complain :)

They even appear to be the full size bits-- a full 1 inch cutting flute (full flute length including non-cutting edge is 1 1/8 inches) The total carbide length is 2.5 inches. There appear to be two "variants" - about half have a rubber dipcoat on the flutes and the other half don't... both appear to be the same thing though and they all appear new (though the packaging is dusty)

Thanks again to all that have supported me (and laughed with me) - including giving advice etc. Once I figure out the best way to ship, I'll be posting prices in the buy/sell/swap area (hopefully I'll post tonight)

Lawrence

fwharris
08-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Now that looks like a bunch of bits!!! Hurry up and clear the table, wife is coming home!!! ;)

CNC Carver
08-17-2012, 06:33 PM
I'll help clear that table just waiting for a price. Looks very nice. I'm sure they will fit in small usps boxes ship any where for $5.35.

liquidguitars
08-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Well done Lawrence... and yes i been painting... lol

ktjwilliams
08-19-2012, 08:55 AM
My big box of bits arrived friday !!!!! Yippie ,,, at $ 1.97 ..... gimme gimme gimme .......

55president
08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Very interested in getting afew of these please let me know where I can oder from you....

Thanks

Francis

Canemaker
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Great, let me know when your next shipment will be available for sale. Thanks John

lawrence
08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I've just posted 11 pairs for sale over in the buy/sell/trade area. Thank you for your interest,

Lawrence

nuchie
10-18-2012, 05:33 PM
How about some 1/8 cutting bits for CarveTight?