PDA

View Full Version : want me to put in1/8 bit

sw123man
08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
I started my project and it keeps asking for the 1/8 bit.I tried putting it in several times,starting over and even turning the machine off,so what is going on?any idea's?

Old Salt
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
One thing if you told it to cut to size it will ask for the cutting bit first.

jlovchik
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Most likely if it is continuing to ask for the same bit even after you have put it in, is due to it not touching off the bit plate (slap plate). After a bit is inserted, it moves over and a little plate is pushed out. It then has to touch the tip of the bit off of this plate to measure the length of it. If the plate is not coming out all the way and the bit cannot touch it, the machine assumes there is no bit. Solving this is easy. There has to be an obstruction of some sort preventing the truck from pushing the plate out. With the power off you can push the truck over and identify the obstruction. Sometimes it is wires behind the motor. Also make sure the pivot of the actual bit plate is clean. After making sure it is clean give it a shot of WD-40 and flip back a forth a few times. This should solve the problem. Call tech support if you need further assistance.

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
A good habit to get into is to watch the bit plate touch every time. It will tell you the health of the machine. As posted above by Joe, the Computer is telling you that the bit never touched the bit plate. It is like the bit is missing from the machine TO the machine.

Like posted above, IF the Y Truck cannot reach the bit plate because the wires from the right side cut motor switch are in the way and the cooling fins of the Z motor are hitting. This prevents the Y Truck from reaching the bit plate. And that leads to 2 things... 1 the Bit Plate does not extend far enough OR 2 it does extend far enough BUT the bit goes down short of the bit plate and misses.

The machine is expecting to touch the plate and quickly reverses direction when it does telling the machine where the tip of the bit is in length.

Some like ME put a piece of foam behind the bit plate to hold it out all the way all the time. ONLY when you cut a wide board 14.5 does it get in the way. So be careful....

Sometimes when you have a project with Centerline Text using a V60 that is a SHORT Bit.... Sawdust on the Rails or in the Cog Belt will cause a speed bump in the Z Lowering toward the Bit Plate. This speed bump will be interpreted by the computer as IF the V60 bit touched the Bit Plate. This will result in what is called a "AIR CARVE" where the bit never touches the board and cuts in the air.

THAT is the reason I suggest EVERYONE watch every bit change and the bit plate touch. Knowing when the machine has done something WRONG lets you stop it and investigate.

Good Luck,

AL

sw123MAN, It is not everyday that Joe Lovchik, Owner of LHR, and the Designer of the CarveWright answers a question like this.... Just another example what a GREAT Company LHR is.... and with a really GREAT Product... :)

sw123man
08-16-2012, 10:49 PM
thanks it solved the problem,project came out fine.still learning as I go