PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell and buy, just upgrade...?

karossii
08-14-2012, 04:25 AM
I have a b model carvewright, which I bought with all the options available at the time - designer software, pattern editor, scanning probe, decorative bits set, etc. It has 2-3 dozen or so hours on it. I also bought ringneckblues' DC adapter and cut the plexi shield to fit it. Everything is still in its original box (some never taken out, the rest just returned to it for storage)... I did register the software by the serial number, so you'd have to buy a license for that if you needed it.

I am now moved (thrice actually) back into a home with a shop in which I can get started using it again, but I'm thinking I really want a model c, or CarveTight system. So I am either going to sell off the decorative bits, and buy the upgrade package for $500 or so, or else I am going to sell the whole system, and buy a new version C (with warrant, etc.)

What would you recommend? How much could I get for just the bits (none were ever used at all)? How much could I get for the complete system (with the DC insert)?

As a side question, I don't want to get it all out of the box yet, either way - I am either selling it or shipping it back to be upgraded - what would someone charge to carve something for me? Is it by the square foot, lineal foot, or machine hours? I have a single project I want to get done in the next week or two, but as stated, would prefer not to unbox it just for this one carve, then have to rebox it all.

Thanks!

cnsranch
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Ken - I believe my machine's a B series......300 hours on it before I upgraded to the CT system.

Were I you, I'd use the machine as is, and upgrade when necessary. Doing the upgrade is a piece of cake.

All of your bits, with the exception of the cutting and carving bits, can be used with the CT system - remove the QC adapters, and use a sleeve for the CT.

fwharris
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Ken,

I would agree with Jerry, doing the upgrades (CarveTight, rubber belts, etc) to your current machine should be not problem and as he stated your bit set can be used with the new chuck. Having CarveWright techs do your upgrade package is a good option as they will also do a system check on the machine as well.

What kind of project do you have plans for? Shoot me an email or PM!!!!!

AskBud
08-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Here is a link about removing adapters from the CW bits.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18185-Removing-bits-from-adapters
AskBud

karossii
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Okay, so basically heat them up, unscrew a couple of screws, and the old style bits will work in the new CarveTight system?

That would save me buying new ones at $400, and selling the old ones at ~ $200... a $200 loss. The question is, would I use new ones (or old ones in the CT system)? I never even tried to use them before. What exactly would they be used for? I seemed to be able to do everything I tried to do with just the carving and cutting bits, it never suggested/asked me to use the designer bits.

AskBud
08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Okay, so basically heat them up, unscrew a couple of screws, and the old style bits will work in the new CarveTight system?

That would save me buying new ones at $400, and selling the old ones at ~ $200... a $200 loss. The question is, would I use new ones (or old ones in the CT system)? I never even tried to use them before. What exactly would they be used for? I seemed to be able to do everything I tried to do with just the carving and cutting bits, it never suggested/asked me to use the designer bits.Remember the heat is only used on the 1/4 inch shank bits. The 1/2 inch shanks release with a wrench.

You will need to purchase a new Carving and a new Cutting bit, as they need a pressed on sleeve (due to the carbide shank.
You will also need to buy one or two split collets, which you will use on the 1/4 inch shank bits and the scanning probe. I would also buy a packet of 1/4 & 1/2 inch stop sleeves, as they assure that the 1st & 2nd insert of each bit is the same place in the chuck. Once you have a set, you will be able to go to the hardware store and get rubber tubing to make your own as you need more.

I suggest a packet of plastic tips for your scanning probe, as they help protect fragile model that you might not want to scratch. My rule of thumb is to try to never scan a family member, a friends, or clients model, as they can really be upset if it is damaged. I offer to buy the model, and I can show them examples of items I have ruined while scanning.
AskBud