PDA

View Full Version : Rail Sweep Modeling Tool for the CarveWright 3D Modeling Suite

mtylerfl
08-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Hello,

I posted a video at CarveBuddy.com showing the latest addition to the CarveWright 3D Modeling Suite. The new tool addition is called the Rail Sweep. It is very useful and fun - it lets you create more complex shapes than some of the existing "standard" tools you already have in the Modeling Suite. (This tool is a FREE update to the Modeling Suite and will be released very soon!)

The video is a very brief overview and doesn't cover everything you can do with it, but I think you'll understand the concept of how to use it after watching the presentation. For instance, the video shows examples using rails that are going up/down vertically...you can place rails horizontally (like the cannon example). Also, the rails can be angled...they do not have to be parallel. Experiment on your own and see what you can do!

Here are the links...the first link is for viewing the online streaming video, and the second link is a downloadable video you can store on your hard drive (WMV format):

http://www.carvebuddy.com/Videos/CarveWright_Rail_Sweep_Introduction_and_Overview/CarveWright_Rail_Sweep_Introduction_and_Overview.h tml

http://www.carvebuddy.com/Videos/CarveWright_Rail_Sweep_Basic_Overview.wmv

liquidguitars
08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Well done...

Here is a production tail peice part made with rail sweep off my last CW Uke project.

lynnfrwd
08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Version 1.185 is now available.

mtylerfl
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Version 1.185 is now available.

To add to this, by updating to the current 1.185 version, owners (and future owners) of the CarveWright 3D Modeling Suite will now have the powerful, new Rail Sweep Tool added to their 3D modeling capabilities!!

ladjr
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
That looks great. I can't wait to try it.

JLT
09-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Michael T,

Thanks for taking the time to post the informative video on the Rail Sweep tool. Have a quick question concerning the tool, as all the examples shown are symmetrical (ie, a series of line segments are drawn, and then mirrored, and then the Rail Sweep is applied). Is the Rail Sweep tool capable of handling non-mirrored parallel line segments to produce, say, arched trim? (As a visual, see attached example image of an arched clock top...)

Tx, Jon

mtylerfl
09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Jon,

Thank you. I want to do a bunch more when I have a chance.

Yes, arched trim and moldings are easy with the Rail Sweep tool. Sweep between any line segments you choose as the rails.

GrammaPam
09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Your video has been invaluable! Thank you.
G.P.

Scott31
01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Very nice video, thanks for sharing tips.