PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone have on their thinking caps?

ibewiggin
08-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Ok, so this should be a fun one! I got our approved blue prints the other day. We should be starting to build our house next year. We have a lot of planning involved with this one and will take a while to get all the specifics down before we can build. Any ways, I am thinking I want to use my CWs to customize as much as I can. I want to make everything match and be one of a kind. I have of course thought about cabinets, light switches, plug in covers, trims, stair risers, and six panel doors. Any other ideas out there. It should be a fun project. If you were building your dream house and using the CW, what designs would you use and on what parts?

Smoken D
08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Must, fireplace mantel!

Old Salt
08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
think about corner blocks for trim with a caring in them.
over the door panels, stair fronts, house numbers and names.

James RS
08-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Coat hanger entryway bench key holder

RogerB
08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
stair case parts, key stones on top of windows posts for handrails
kitchen hood range

Capt Bruce
08-13-2012, 06:53 PM
How about theme six panel doors with related but not duplicate carvings on all the panels. Kitchen thems objects, entertainment room, library, bathroom (well that one might be kind of strange on second thought) etc.

GrammaPam
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Good ideas, all! If there is a general theme (say Sy-fi) different areas could reflect different references.
G.P.

ibewiggin
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Very nice ideas. I do not have a theme yet, I want something that makes the house seem more elegant and not silly or tacky.

badbert
08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I am doing the same thing for my 1926 Bungalow. The rope is our theme. I am carving rope 3/4 round molding for all of the floors, and Carving cabinet doors for the kitchen cabinets I am gonna build... Now if only I can find some motivation...

GrammaPam
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Will the house be in the trees? Forest with a touch of Celtic could be subtle, earthy and very personal.
Otherwise near the water, nautical offers lots of diversity.
Either way I vote for round windows. I like BadBert's rope idea. What a wonderful adventure you have ahead.
G.P.

ibewiggin
08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I never even thought about that Pam. This area is known for its water and it's trees. It used to be world famous in the late 1800's. Now days no one has ever heard of Olalla, Wa. My family has some strong roots here. If anyone is a history buff and like to read, read "Starvation Heights". It is a true story about some very grim thi ngs, and Olalla. Would like to include some details from that, but with out it being weird, morbid, or gloomy. A rope theme is neat but I think I want something a little more complicated. I was leaning towards those greenman leaf face things, Maybe some leaves in corners and smaller areas.

chevytrucking
08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
How about carved grilles for your heat and air openings. My return air grille in my house is in the living room and I've always hated the way it looks. I've been thinking about making a carving to disguise it. Depending on your trim style, I'd definitely consider makking your own corner blocks or rosettes at your windows, and I agree, the greenman would be perfect in these. Fireplace mantels, family name signs, address, and mailboxes are the obvious ones.

lawrence
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
ceiling roses around your ceiling fans?

Lawrence