PDA

View Full Version : Really need some advice quick

lawrence
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I have a possibility of getting a quite large number of the sears branded compucarve carving bits with the adapters for a very cheap price- are they OK to use in our machines? The bits are brand new and in their packages. I'm assuming they are the older type "A" model bits which are a hair shorter than the new ones

V/r
Lawrence

fwharris
08-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Being CC bits I am assuming they have the QC adapters then. Great for the Rock Chuck users or those still with the QC... I play it safe and go with LHRs recommendation of only using the pressed on sleeve with the carving bits...

lawrence
08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I use a rock chuck so that part isnt a factor. My concern is the length of the flutes in that they are "a type" flutes

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

skeeterman
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
they are fine you wont have any problem with them , i have a couple from the sears store just took them out of the quick change adapter and used with the rock and 1/4 sleeve
steve

cestout
08-12-2012, 04:36 PM
The CompuCarve and the CarveWright are the same machine except for the name plate. I had a machinist press out old dull bits from the CT collars and press my old QC bits in. Had no problems.
Clint

Capt Bruce
08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd second the advice that you're okay using them in collets in a Rock chuck just like I've done now for years. If the price is right, grab them.