PDA

View Full Version : The biggest Craft Fair I have ever seen

TerryT
08-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Yesterday was our first day at the SandPoint Arts Council's craft fair on lake Pend Oreille. It is the largest I have seen. Hot day in the 90's, today is supposed to be even warmer. Beautiful setting, good sales but man what a long day. This is a highly competitive show. It is a juried show and the guy in the booth next to us was only accepted 2 out of the last four years. I guess we were lucky to get in on the first try.

lawrence
08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
well, if it had to be a long day- I'm glad for you that it was a good one.

Congrats on your selection to the show and I'd love to see a close-up pic of your display if you're so inclined

Lawrence

easybuilt
08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Looks awesome and I see lots of people Terry. They picked you because of your beautiful work! Good luck today for lots of additional sales!

badbert
08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I guess we were lucky to gein on the first try.
I'm sure luck played no part in it!

ladjr
08-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Terry that looks so nice. What a great place to have a craft fair.

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

cestout
08-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Pretty place. I haven't been up there is several years - I have a friend who has a farm in Browns Valley. Cooler there than here also. It was about 110 yesterday until the sky opened up and we got 1.5 inches of rain in less than an hour. Wind blew hard too.
Clint

TerryT
08-13-2012, 04:42 PM
well, if it had to be a long day- I'm glad for you that it was a good one.

Congrats on your selection to the show and I'd love to see a close-up pic of your display if you're so inclined

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
I'm not sure if you are asking about a shot of the whole booth or individual stuff. Here are a few closeups. By the time I took a pic of the booth much of the stuff was gone and the remaining stuff moved to one wall.

TerryT
08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Pretty place. I haven't been up there is several years - I have a friend who has a farm in Browns Valley. Cooler there than here also. It was about 110 yesterday until the sky opened up and we got 1.5 inches of rain in less than an hour. Wind blew hard too.
Clint

Wow, the humidity must have been killer! Not to mention flooding.

rcdages
08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Pleaed you did well.

Love the finish on the carvings.

henry1
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi Lawrence,
I'm not sure if you are asking about a shot of the whole booth or individual stuff. Here are a few closeups. By the time I took a pic of the booth much of the stuff was gone and the remaining stuff moved to one wall.
Hi Terry how you get them so shinny and smooth looking and what kind of wood you using

TerryT
08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi Terry how you get them so shinny and smooth looking and what kind of wood you using

Hi, Henry
First I HATE SANDING! So I do as little of it as possible. I sand the board smooth before carving (it's easier than sanding after it is carved), I joint all the edges, etc, first then carve. I like to carve on best 98 percent of the time, optimum the very occassionally. I use a dremel with diamond carving tips (woodcraft) to hit the fuzzies and edges of the carve. Then just stain and finish.

I didn't realize it when I took the pictures but everything shown is made from black cherry except the last pic that is cherry with black walnut sides.

eelamb
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Terry they look good, hope you sell out and get lots of orders.

badbert
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi, Henry
First I HATE SANDING! So I do as little of it as possible. I sand the board smooth before carving (it's easier than sanding after it is carved), I joint all the edges, etc, first then carve. I like to carve on best 98 percent of the time, optimum the very occassionally. I use a dremel with diamond carving tips (woodcraft) to hit the fuzzies and edges of the carve. Then just stain and finish.

I didn't realize it when I took the pictures but everything shown is made from black cherry except the last pic that is cherry with black walnut sides. But what is the stain and finish? And what do you use for glaze? LOL They are beautiful!

TerryT
08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
But what is the stain and finish? And what do you use for glaze? LOL They are beautiful!
Actually there is no stain on the items pictured here. I don't stain black walnut and almost never on the cherry. So these just have a laquer finish. The "antiqueing" Kathy did with just some black acrylic paint.

TerryT
08-15-2012, 09:12 AM
It just goes to show that you never know what is going to sell in any particular area. I made a bunch of the "Old Cowboys Say" signs that you can see on my website and had them at the last two shows we did. Didn't sell a one. This show, they went like hotcakes, sold out. The folding crib boards were a sell out also. I was wishing I had taken more than the six we had. Funny thing is that in a area that is all Yuppies with VERY expensive homes and Giant boats and Jaguars, our high end "heirloom" stuff didn't sell well. Just the lower end "rustic" items. I did get to hear some French vaction stories and one women was P%$$# because her husband took off for England with a buddy to watch the olympics and left here to run the business. Boy, is he gonna get it when he comes home!

I didn't see any of the navy's submarines that they have in the lake but it would have been cool to see.

easybuilt
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
That is awesome Terry! Those shows are hard to predict. You and Kathy do beautiful work and these people saw that quality.

CNC Carver
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Very nice work Terry. Nice set up for a booth also. Glad things are selling!