PDA

View Full Version : Craving in Corin

bsatc09
08-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm wanting to make some signs out of corin, 1/2 inch thick to celebrate our families 100 years anniversary. Which bit do i need to use and the important question is it possible to cut corin. I don't plan on craving through it just about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch deep.

Thanks

Bruce

badbert
08-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I believe you are talking about CORIAN. If so use the advanced search enter corian and search "titles only". You should find 90 posts about corian.

ladjr
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm wanting to make some signs out of corin, 1/2 inch thick to celebrate our families 100 years anniversary. Which bit do i need to use and the important question is it possible to cut corin. I don't plan on craving through it just about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch deep.

Thanks

Bruce

I have always used the 1/16 carve bit

gregsolano
08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
You can cut it with a table saw, band saw, circular saw etc. without any trouble. You can also use a router for the edges etc. Any of the carving bits will work well. Decorative bits should be used sparingly with the exception of 90 and 60 degree bits for centerline will work fine. I have never used CW cutting bits on corian and do not suggest you do so.

AskBud
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
This is the wording from the "C" manual, just for your information.
AskBud

Plastic
Suitable carving plastics include polycarbonate (Lexan), cast acrylic (signmakers plastic), and Corian (acrylic base). Most other plastics such asNylon, ABS, and extruded acrylic (Plexiglas) tend to melt and gum upbecause the melting point of the material is lower than the temperaturegenerated at the bit tip when carving. The great thing about cast acrylicand Corian is that they come in many different colors and opacities.Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as thecarving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates basedon this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving inplastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load onthe machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and cancause damage.The only bit currently approved for plastic is the tapered carving bit. Thismeans that some functions will not be available when using hard plastic.Do NOT use any machine function that employs a bit other than thetapered carving bit when using plastics. For example do not usedecorative bits or the cutout function on plastics.Also remember to clean the machine very thoroughly when using plastics.The “dust’ and chips produced can damage drive components and belts.

bsatc09
08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. I now have a good idea what I can and can't do with plastics.

Bruce