PDA

View Full Version : Cannot read menu letters on CW Machine

nykej
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
New user: Setup machine, got software updates on card: load cut file on card: Plug in card and turn on machine. Menu is in some hyrogliphic type writing. Sometimes you can make out a 1 and 2 menu options, but the words are illegible. Tried adjusting contrast, no avail: Reformated card: no change. Just about ready to head back to Sears with it as my 90 day return policy is running. Got the machine on 22 Jan. Any help would be appreciated. I am not home in time to call CW during the week, and they are not here on weekends, so in my opinion, Customer Service gets a knock for that. Most home hobbiest's do thier work on weekends.. Willing to attach pic if anyone wants to see it..

Thanks
John

nykej
01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Never mind, I'm taking it back.... :evil: :evil: I reflashed the card, added the newest firmware, plugged it back in and now I do not even get the stupid writing, just blank screen. Did adjust contrast both directions to make sure it was not just me. Is there a master reset on this 1800.00 boat anchor?

Jeff_Birt
01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Did you bother call CarveWright?

nykej
01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I leave for work at 0500, and do not get home until after 1900 during the week. I wish they had a weekend call center.....

I have not tryed calling from work as I fugure they would want me at the machine to troubleshoot it..

Goig to check pins for card on machine, just maybe one got bent. Any other ideas?

Malfunction
01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
try emailing tech support. they should give you some help that way if you work and can't call during the week.

nykej
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Wanna hear a funny? I reflash card yet again, load program, still no display. So I hit 1 and enter a few times, machine starts carving, display is still blank. Hmmm, must be a bad LCD Display? connection? We will see if this project works, just nice to hear it running ya know?

Jeff_Birt
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Glad it's 'sort of' working. I would second the motion concernign emailing CW. Very nice folks to work with, I'm sure they will get you fixed up.

nykej
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Okay, blindly I am in the middle of my project. Simple cut if I do say so myself. bout 45 minutes into it, I decide to check the temp of the cable as I have read alot of comments on this. at the bend in the flex cable it is so hot I cannot touch it (for more than a second) Not being able to read the menu to pause the machine, I lift the lid. I let it cool and tryed to BLINDLY restart from where I left off as I was 3/4 done with my cuts. Guessed wrong on the key pad, machine restarted from home........MMmmm So, scrap 1 piece of cherry 8 x 15". I am now wondering if the cable locked up after cooling, so I am headed back to the garage to try again..I may open the side to make sure the LCD did not come unplugged? Thoughts?

Dan-Woodman
01-28-2007, 08:18 PM
When you stop by lifting the lid during a project , just simple close lid and hit the green button. It will resume carving where it left off.

nykej
01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Dan, I should have asked b4 I started hittin buttons. Oh well. I took off the crank side panel and checked to make sure lcd was plugged in, it was. Guess I need to call CW tomorrow. So far not real happy about machine, as quality does not seem to be as pictured on screen..

Ron Baird
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Garbage on the display is usually caused by a cut or break in the cable from the control board to the key pad. the most likely place for the cut is near the controller board. It could also be a bad connection at one of the plugs.

nykej
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, thanks to all who replyed. I called Tech Support on Tuesday, they finally returned my call on Wed. I think the machine is NOT ready to be sold on a scale Sears is selling. I took mine back for a refund. Maybe after everyone gets done doing the debugging for CW, they will impliment all the fixes. At that time IMO it will be an awesome machine. But in the meantime, it is just a source of frustration for me. Good luck all. Gave Sears feedback on it also...

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
The LCD is glass with conductive matt finish pads on the outer edges of the glass. They connect the conductive pads on the glass with a block of rubber, long and thin. It has carbon conductive fibers running through it like the holes in a straw held in a bunch looking through the end. This connects to the conductive pads on the circuit board. What happens is the rubber moves with changes in temperature, like if your unit got to sit in the freezing cold in transit or in a unheated garage. Tapping lightly with your finger on the LCD screen like you see in the old WW2 Sub Movies when they tap the depth gauge waiting to implode and die..... Sometimes works, but what I have done many times with everything from a Microwave Oven to a Fluke Multimeter. Remove the LCD from the circuit board, carefully remove the rubber blocks one at a time, there are usually 2 one on top and one on the bottom. Clean them with a lint free cloth and alcohol. Reassemble and test. Could be the broken wires too but I bet the broken wires would also cause a problem with the keypads too. My bet is it is just the display rubber blocks. A Black display is a cracked and un repairable display.

In a Digital Display Class at Sony, everyone in the class built a single digit Liquid Crystal Display cell about 1 inch square. The instructor gave us 2 pieces of glass coated with a conductive coating. 3 spacers and glue. We made a U shaped spacers and glued the 2 pieces of glass together leaving the top open. With a eye dropper he put a drop of liquid crystal into our glass cup display. We glued the top shut and when we applied about 33 volts AC to the edge the glass went black, remove the voltage and it went back to clear. Cool !!! I really miss The Sony Technology Center in San Diego. Working in the Calibration Lab I got to enter every lab each week to deliver and pick up Test Equipment, the things I saw under development. Still have not seen some of them out yet.

Good Luck with your unit.

AL