PDA

View Full Version : Captured Heart

SteveNelson46
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think this is a more appropriate place for this discussion.

Again I reiterate, these are ONLY PICS and NOT project files
Here are screen capture pics of the layout files I used to create the the various parts of the Captured Heart project

CNC Carver
08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Looks like you have lots of controls in the new 2D and 3D software. I'm going to have to get it soon.

eelamb
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Steve very nice work. Question does the 2d software do the spacing on the holes?

ladjr
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Thats Steve that helps me when trying to learn the new software. Great job.

badbert
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Steve that is amazing! That new software rocks!

SteveNelson46
08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Eddie

As far as I know, The copy offset works only in a verticle or horizontal mode. I couldn't find any option to do it in a circle. At the convention, I think I heard Joe say I couldn't be done as yet. I had to do it manually.

eelamb
08-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks Steve that is how I looked at it. The holes had to be done manually. Which still leaves room for errors. Would be nice to make a circle and using a center point, and the vector circle , state how many to copy around the vector circle.

bluecobra
08-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Has anybody tried exporting STL from Sketchup into STL Importer to do something similar without the 2d/3d software?

I don't have the STL importer myself so I can't find out.

lawrence
08-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Has anybody tried exporting STL from Sketchup into STL Importer to do something similar without the 2d/3d software?

I don't have the STL importer myself so I can't find out.

I bring sketchup files into designer all the time- this is how I've done many if not most of my files that I've posted. It is VERY easy and works quite well. There are 2 ways that I've found to do it

1. Export directly from standard sketchup as a collada file. Import this collada file into meshmixer (a free program) and then export that as an STL. I used to do this quite often as it worked 100% of the time, but since the last update, I'm having spotty results (which I am told the LHR engineers are looking into) the second way is to

2. Use a sketchup plugin that allows you to export directly from sketchup as an STL. This seems to be having more success right now and it works quite well.

The positives of these methods are that it is very easy, legitimately free (if you have the stl importer) and allows you to access the 10's of thousands of sketchup files that exist in the sketchup library.

The biggest negative (for me) is that though sketchup is GREAT for flat surfaces etc, it is not as capable as the 3d software at creating dishes, dips, etc. and certainly isn't as capable at creating rounded 2.5 d patterns as the 3d software which is much more akin to some of the features of Artcam than sketchup is. Plugins help narrow this gap, but I'm certainly THRILLED with the new 3d software's capabilities. (perhaps slightly less so the new drawing software... it is very capable, but perhaps a little feature/capability poor at the price though if they upgrade certain elements like the ability for copy offset to work on circles and trim to work on circles/ovals it will help tremendously with the feeling of "value for money")

Just my .02 and if you have any questions about how I import in sketchup files please don't hesitate to ask here as it may help others too.
Lawrence

PS- GREAT looking project Steve!

SteveNelson46
08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Eddie

The easiest way would probably be to create an 11 sided polygon in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, save it as a DXF and import it into the designer project and use the points to place the drill holes. I didn't do thet here as the test was to do everything in the Designer. Maybe we should add a polygon feature along with a circular copy offset to the wish list for future Designer updates.

TerryT
08-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice work Steve. I like the 11 sided polygon idea. Of course, as you said, it could be easier in future updates, hopefully.

eelamb
08-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Steve good tip on the polygon.