PDA

View Full Version : veterans of foreign wars

johnsonswamp
08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Last year when my grandfather passed away the local veterans chapter did a nice service at the funeral, since then I've been wanting to make a plaque or something to show appreciation but have been stumped on where to start. Being in a small town and them having a limited budget I'd like to give them something nice to put on the wall at the memorial building.

I'm looking for ideas and/or a pattern if anyone doesn't mind sharing, I thought about individual military logos, but it seems they like to keep it as a whole military veterans instead of the separate branches which I agree with being so few members local.

Here's the logo, I've tried editing it to work with the machine but nothing I do to it comes even close to looking decent. Need ideas please.
Thanks,
Bryan

CNC Carver
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Try importing this file. I'm not at home with designer to see how it would look.55219

johnsonswamp
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
The outside of that one works well, but what I forgot to mention was the problem is the middle, the detail around the eagle looks very rough and I have no idea how to clean it up without making it a very very big plaque.

chebytrk
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Something like this perhaps?

ladjr
08-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Nice job Jerry

bjbethke
08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Last year when my grandfather passed away the local veterans chapter did a nice service at the funeral, since then I've been wanting to make a plaque or something to show appreciation but have been stumped on where to start. Being in a small town and them having a limited budget I'd like to give them something nice to put on the wall at the memorial building.

I'm looking for ideas and/or a pattern if anyone doesn't mind sharing, I thought about individual military logos, but it seems they like to keep it as a whole military veterans instead of the separate branches which I agree with being so few members local.

Here's the logo, I've tried editing it to work with the machine but nothing I do to it comes even close to looking decent. Need ideas please.
Thanks,
Bryan

Will these work?

johnsonswamp
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Thank you all, I'll give those a try and see how it turns out.

eelamb
08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
BJB the second one is nice looking. I was going to finish this one, but it will go on the back burner for a later time when I have more time.
Edit:
Just looked at this one in designer and it would not carve good. I would have to redesign the layout so the thin lines would be lower than higher.

eelamb
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Had more time than I expected, so here is the modified pattern images. File is 1.93Meg so still too large to fit here. I changed the size 4 times to get it down, and settled for this one, so I would not loose too much detail. I will post it on my site under shared soon.

johnsonswamp
08-09-2012, 07:58 PM
That looks great, what is your website?

Digitalwoodshop
08-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Since this is your 7th post and you are doing a very GOOD Thing making this for the VFW, I Thank YOU as a Retired Navy Chief.

The Words "They have a Limited Budget" caught my attention....

I need to warn you that the VFW is very serious about Copyright issues... I have been around Laser Engraving and CNC Forums for YEARS... I have read MANY post about Copyright Issues. In "MY" un official opinion since you are DONATING what you are making to the VFW you will most likely NOT have a problem... Make one and SELL IT...... Well... You open yourself up to some serious problems... Harley and many others are very serious about this...

Many get the machine and think they can print money with it... Same with Laser Engravers, Vinyl Cutters and Color Printing Equipment... Selling LOGO Stuff and Sports Stuff.... Just know that everyone takes responsibility for what they do...

THIS is just a Friendly Heads UP.... It is when you make something with a copyright with the INTENT to make money that you cross the line... All the Pattern Makers HERE and the Trial and Error in cutting designs as a "HOBBY" and with "Education" as the Goal are SAFE.... I think...

And don't let a local VFW guy tell you that is is OK... "I" Authorize it.... WRONG.... It's a VFW Logo... CORP VFW Licenses the use and making of the logo... A Pay to Play with serious Quality Control... I know guys with a License to do Boy Scouts stuff... At Shows they sell the stuff and walk around and collect Business Cards of the guys selling CHEAP Boy Scout Stuff as they are not paying THOUSANDS for the right to make the stuff... Turn the cards into the CORP Boy Scouts and they get a knock at the door.... YES, they still do a Knock at the Door.... Usually with a "Cease and Desist" Letter.

I make a Post like this about every year for the NEW GUYS.... I learned a valuable lesson when I was still working for Sony fixing Play Stations in Philly almost 10 years ago as I started researching and going to training classes and Trade Shows Dreaming of a Laser Engraving Business. A Local Vinyl Shop I visited did a bunch of Harley Stuff. A 15 foot long Banner for a guys Trailer..... At a Show, the Harley Guys asked the guy... "Where did you get the Banner? WE can only get the 12 foot version???" A Guy up in Bristol, PA... HERE IS HIS CARD.... Harley did the Legal Stuff and took his shop and smashed the equipment and tossed it into a Dumpster the Gas Station Guy next door said when I asked about the Closed Shop... They went through all his Sales Records... Lots of Harley Stuff Sold... So it DOES Happen...

Nuff Said.... Stepping off the Soap Box...

AL

eelamb
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Al is very right on this logo. It is copyrighted and very much protected. I did some research before making it, and decided to make it and share it. I was going to place it on my site for free, but I will not even do that. I have asked johnsonswamp to contact me via email so I can send the pattern to him.

johnsonswamp
08-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info AL. I'm aware of the copy right issues but have no intention of reproducing the logo after donating the plaque.

eelamb
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Johnsonswamp, I hope you post images of the completed project. Details will be lost if carved smaller than the size in the pattern. Carving it larger is OK.

johnsonswamp
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Johnsonswamp, I hope you post images of the completed project. Details will be lost if carved smaller than the size in the pattern. Carving it larger is OK.

I will, it'll be a little while as I have a couple projects that I'm trying to finish up.