PDA

View Full Version : HC-130 Pattern

Ton80
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Has anyone ever come across, or have a pattern for a HC130 aircraft? I have found a couple of decent models using a google search that I could probably get away with but my pattern making abilities are still not up-to-par yet. I really figured this would be a ready made pattern but I can't find one.

Thanks,
john

chebytrk
08-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Something like this?

Ton80
08-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Pretty close to what I found on google... I'm looking for one that has already been "cleaned" up because the one I have also has the some of the same imperfections going on with this one, not that I don't appreciate you posting this !! Please don't take my comment the wrong way.

This is what I ended up with using the image I found on Google and only applying a little bit of Gaussian blur so far.. I have a pretty decent understanding of what I need to edit to get better results but I just haven't gotten enough practice in to get it done in a reasonably quick time frame. I know the new software would help me immensely with this pattern but the expenditure is just not an option at the moment :(

jpaluck
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Ton80

If you have a 3d model already shoot me a pm and I can render a heightmap out for you

bjbethke
08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Has anyone ever come across, or have a pattern for a HC130 aircraft? I have found a couple of decent models using a google search that I could probably get away with but my pattern making abilities are still not up-to-par yet. I really figured this would be a ready made pattern but I can't find one.

Thanks,
john

I have one it is a side view.

easybuilt
08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Nice designs guys!

CNC Carver
08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
That is a nice design!

Ton80
08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Ton80

If you have a 3d model already shoot me a pm and I can render a heightmap out for you

The one I have is not but there are websites that sell pretty nice 3d images that are free to use as I wish after purchased. What would the preferable format be for a conversion if I can't find something that I want to use or make? They offer several different formats:

.3ds
.fbx
.flt
.lws
.max
.obj

Ton80
08-11-2012, 07:50 AM
I have one it is a side view.

That is really nice. Thanks, BJ. I'll see if that one will do. I have a feeling the person I'm making this for is already heart-set on the one I posted above so I'm going to tinker around this weekend and try and teach myself a few things about GIMP... finally. Hope Alan is available for some advice ;)

jpaluck
08-11-2012, 01:27 PM
John

Any format 3d format will worl for most part..most popular you will find are max,obj,3ds..they are all fine

Let me know

jpaluck
08-11-2012, 05:34 PM
John

this a long reply..lol

Here is a quick down and dirty Tutorial on how to create apattern using Blender from any 3d model. The cool part about this method is youcan get a good pattern from any angle of the model with lots of detail - it does not have to be dead on front side topetc. When I render I height map in Zbrush, Max or Modo it loses detail if on anangle or too deep in terms of 3d. Blenders bas relief plug-in is made forthis..works awesome.

1. Find your model online. Blender will import most standard3d model formats obj, stl 3ds etc. For your plane I found it very quickly at http://thefree3dmodels.com/.
Not the best model for a pattern but you will get the ideafrom it.

2. Import your model into Blender and position it how youwant it - I.e. scale rotate move.
**make sure you set the pass index to 1 - this tells blenderto render the alpha..easy to forget I do all the time

3. Open the node editor. The bas relief plug-in is free..doa google search for it and it will come up and how to install. You can copy thesetting from my screenshot or go over the documentation when you dl the plug in.

4. In the Node Editor click the camera icon ( look atscreenshot) and it will render a height map and alpha used for a mask later. Inthe screenshot I circled the two nodes you need to change the file to where youwant the images from the render saved on your computer.

5. Go back to the Node Editor. If it worked your screen willlook like this.

6. Now Open both files from the render in your photo editor.I am using PS but any will work for the next set of steps. Try Gimp..its free.

7. Select your white area and then invert the mask.

8. Now save this as a selection. In this example I saved itas selection 1.

9. Now inyour height map image open and load the selection you just created.

10. Change the foreground fill color to black.

11. Duplicate your background.

12. On the duplicated background change your mode tomultiply then simply save your image. From here you can import into Designer orgo further and clean the image up.

13. Image clean-up. I use Zbrush here but you could useSculptris which is free and achieve the exact same results. In the example Iused I left the blender render settings low. This will work on just about anymachine. Blender can be tweaked so there is virtually no stepping, however youwill need a lot of cpu power for this. I have an 17990 extreme with 6cores andOc'd to 4.0 and it takes a while when you crank up the settings.

This is a rough tutorial but should get you pointed in rightdirection how to do it. Its actually very fast once you have the node editorset up and settings saved. It took longer to write this than to make the depth mapan clean up.

This a very neat method for creating models all from freesoftware ( blender,gimp,sculptris). I personally prefer to model some things infull 3d and this method will give great results and not lose detail. There area ton of free models out there but after a while you probably will get intomaking your own..lol it very addicting

The rough depthmap is attached below..needs clean-up.