PDA

View Full Version : problem with centerline text

regor56
08-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I am trying to put centerline text on a project, The centerline is being put on a non carved area. another part of the project has a carved area but i don't think that should affect where the text is going to be. I carved the carved part and then the machine asked me to install the 60 v bit. I installed it and it started carving and the bit was about 1/2" above the surface of the wood. 55166
Thanks
Roger

ladjr
08-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Please post your MPC so we can see what your doing.

fwharris
08-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Did the bit go down all of the way and touch the bit plate???

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
This sounds like a classic, the V60 bit did not actually touch the bit plate and stopped and reversed direction when hitting a lump of dust on the roller rails..... So the machine had a false tip of the bit in memory and did what we call a "AIR CARVE".

First Post WELCOME !!!! Find and read Tips and Tricks as it was written by US as we have all had problems like a "Air Carve" and it tells you what to look out for... A GOOD Habit to get into is watching the bit plate touch EVERY SINGLE TIME... Watching what happens during the Bit Plate and Board Touch will tell you the HEALTH of your machine. And when you see something that does NOT do what it is known to do like the Bit Plate not coming out far enough because the cover was removed and the right side cover switch wires are in the way... You can stop the machine and fix it or start again rather than make some expensive fire wood.

Clean your machine and check with the power off the Z up and down....

Note: A BAD or loose FSC cable, the 14 pin flat cable going to the Z truck, can cause the same problem as can a dirty Z Encoder...

Good Luck,

AL

regor56
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks! That is what it was. the bit did not touch the plates. Worked great after I lowered the bit a little. Thanks for the fast reply's !

badbert
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
lowered the bit? Are you using the carvetight with the bit stops?

Digitalwoodshop
08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
As the Robot in the 60's TV Program "Lost in Space" would say at a time like this.... DANGER.... DANGER young Will Robinson....DANGER.... Ok.... A little overboard.... But I got your attention....

When the Bit Did not touch the Bit Plate, the Z Head reversed for a reason...

The way it works is that when ever the machine is driving the bit into a piece of metal or into the surface of the board, the Computer Monitors the Z Motor Current... When it detects the touch the Current raises and at that moment before smashing into the metal and dulling the bit, the Z Motor is reversed.... SO... When your bit REVERSED Direction WITHOUT touching the Bit Plate "SOMETHING" caused the Z Current to Spike Slightly... THAT is the route of the problem.... the WHAT.... IT is usually a DIRTY RAIL..... Dirty Z Cog Belt... Or EVEN a Frozen Z Rail Bearing. When you cut with the 1/16th then switch to a SHORTER V60 Bit the Z Head needs to go into areas of the Rails that have not been Rolled Upon and that is where DUST on the Rails comes in.... A SPEED BUMP on the rail causing spike in Z Current and hence a FALSE end of BIT data in the Computer causing the AIR CARVE....

That is why the Second time "IT WORKED".... Even with making the Bit Longer.... I use Locking Rings on my bits with the Rock Chuck.

AL

badbert
08-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I use Locking Rings on my bits with the Rock Chuck Link please?! :)