PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a registered copy of Vectric Software?

Denise
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
They have given a free copy of a project that i am interested in making, but it is not compatible with Carvewright software. Can anyone convert a .CRV3D to .DXF?

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/seasonal/valentines/valentines.htm

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

ladjr
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Good Luck I have been trying to carve that for some time. Let me know if you get it converted.

Denise
08-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Will do, thanks

Denise and Rich

RogerB
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
let me know to please. There is some nice projects for free I would like to carve.

eelamb
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Denise, I looked at the documentation for the pattern you posted a link to. That was made by Michael T here on the forum, but as he mentioned in the docs, the text was v-carve. Thus even if someone were to convert it to an STL (not DXF), I believe you would have to place the text and align the holes in designer. You would also need to have center line and conforming vectors to do the text since it is on an angle. That pattern was made for the shop-bot, that allows tool paths and bit selection within the vectric Aspire software. It is a nice project and I can see why you would want it. Nice work Michael.

lynnfrwd
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I knew it could...I knew it could!

Good job, Steve!

eelamb
08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Steve, nice work. I knew it could be redesigned in designer or other software, but I respect the fact that Michael T created it, and would not copy his design.

badbert
08-07-2012, 04:15 PM
MAYBE... Michael will make a version for us? It doesn't look that hard...

SteveNelson46
08-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Okay here is the story. I re-created Michael's design using only the tools built into the Carvewright Designer. I have not carved it and probably won't. It was mearly an exercise to see if it could be done. When I contacted Michael to see if it was okay to share it, he informed me that he created it as an employee of Vectric and was paid for his efforts. Therefore, the design belongs to Vectric and I would need their permission. I have contacted them asking for permission to re-create it as a non-profit endevor but, I have not received a reply as yet.

chebytrk
08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess this is that "gray area" as since the mpc has been created and there has been some adapations to the original, is it OK to share? I don't have a clue, but I'm sure that are some opinions.... LOL OK.... time to beat this one to death on license/sharing/gray areas.... etc...

CNC Carver
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Steve just wondering how much time it took to recreate this project using the new tools. As I'm debating on purchasing the new tools.
Thanks,
Jeff

SteveNelson46
08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm probably going to start a S&*% storm here but, here goes:
I never really intended to share it. I was just indundated with private mail asking for the MPC. But it does bring up some interesting questions. If you go to a bookstore and buy a book and then go to the copy machine and copy it several tines and then sell the copies, is that illegal? Probably! If you go the pattern depot and buy a pattern or a project and then go to the copy machine (Carvewright carver) and make several copies and then sell them, is that illegal? If you change the original but still used it as an inspiration and then sold or gave away the copies...etc. There are probably no clear cut difinative answers here but, there is certainly an abundance of opinions. Whatever the derivation of these opinions are, it seems one stands out above the rest, another chimes in with a +1, and the vigilantees get started and someone either gets "hung by the neck" or is afraid to post any messages of real meaning.

I am not one to plagirize someone else's work and as I mentioned before, this was just an exercise using only the Carvewright Designer to see if it could be done!

ladjr
08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm probably going to start a S&*% storm here but, here goes:
I never really intended to share it. I was just indundated with private mail asking for the MPC. But it does bring up some interesting questions. If you go to a bookstore and buy a book and then go to the copy machine and copy it several tines and then sell the copies, is that illegal? Probably! If you go the pattern depot and buy a pattern or a project and then go to the copy machine (Carvewright carver) and make several copies and then sell them, is that illegal? If you change the original but still used it as an inspiration and then sold or gave away the copies...etc. There are probably no clear cut difinative answers here but, there is certainly an abundance of opinions. Whatever the derivation of these opinions are, it seems one stands out above the rest, another chimes in with a +1, and the vigilantees get started and someone either gets "hung by the neck" or is afraid to post any messages of real meaning.

I am not one to plagirize someone else's work and as I mentioned before, this was just an exercise using only the Carvewright Designer to see if it could be done!

This is software available on another web site for free. If it is being given away in another format I don't know how it would be illegal for you to convert and use in another format.

PCW
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
This is software available on another web site for free. If it is being given away in another format I don't know how it would be illegal for you to convert and use in another format.

Leo

Not exactly free (600 to 2k). Kind of like the project of the month here but at Vertric they offer these projects free to software subscribers to promote sales of their software. You have to have a current software version to run the project that it was created with. For example if you had Aspire Version 2 and the current project was designed in Version 3 you could not run the project. This is a incentive for Vertric to sell upgrades each year.

Not legal in my view to copy but that's just me.

gapdev
08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Many of the Projects we have to pay for here are available free from Vectric.

Michael makes slight differences to the projects. Check out the March 2012 project, which I actually like better than the one we got (and had to pay for).

The projects are, however, copyrighted. So it wouldn't be cool (or legal) for us to take them, convert them, and then give them away. If you own a copy of Vcarve or Aspire, then you can do whatever you want for your own use.

Kenny

SteveNelson46
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Leo

I didn't convert anything. Everything was created entirely from scratch in the Designer and inspired only by the original.

SteveNelson46
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Steve just wondering how much time it took to recreate this project using the new tools. As I'm debating on purchasing the new tools.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff

It took around 10 or 12 hours. However, you have to remember it was a learning experience for me too. If I had to do it over again it would probably only take me a couple of hours. This includes creating the patterns and a little editing in the pattern editor and then placing them on the final layout board. Without doing a test carve it's difficult to determine how it will turn out. The new 2D and 3D add-on tools are really great and I am very glad I bought them.

lawrence
08-08-2012, 06:25 PM
... must... not... get.. pulled... into... copyright... infringement.... discussion.....

deleted due to rethinking whether I should get into this discussion or not....

Lawrence

SteveNelson46
08-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Lawerence

The rant wasn't really on copyrights. It was mostly directed at opinions. Solicited or otherwise. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. Just ranting!

lawrence
08-08-2012, 07:22 PM
no worries at all Steve- you certainly didn't offend me :)

We still need to get together sometime - we're too close together not to share our experiences! The new software is certainly powerful and your project is a great example of how it can be used to make some wonderful stuff.

Lawrence

PCW
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I really didn't mean to offend anyone. Just ranting!

Steve you did a fine job modeling the project. I think it was great learning lesson for you to remake it. It just goes to show that the new 3D program has alot of potential and I would be a buyer if I didn't have other programs that I have already purchased. :mrgreen:

@Lawrence LOL I admire your self control. Wish I had more.:mrgreen:

SteveEJ
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Question: How would LHR react to projects, they 'Payed' someone to do, ending up on the ShopBOT forums? Just trying to put things into perspective.

Question: How would Apple respond to a iPad clone, that was not a 'true' copy but inspired by a iPad, being sold by Sony?

Personally, I would delete the project from this thread. It is telling (and wise IMHO) that the original designer has not chimed in.

I own VCarve Pro 6.5 and I could have easily transformed from vendor 1's format to vendor 2's but chose to honor the corporate investment by Vectric.

JMHO.. No flames please.

badbert
08-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Perhaps we need more collaberation between shopbot and us. Imagine a world where we could work together on creating patterns. One of the 3d gurus, could create a wooden chain to circle and hang the heart. Someone else could create a carved cage rather than using dowel rods.

SteveNelson46
08-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks Lawrence. Some of the others I think have missed the point There is no project on this forum to delete. Just some example pictures on how to use the new software. Perhaps my choice of examples wasn't the best.

SteveEJ
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Huh?? Where in the world did this come from?

SteveEJ
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Steve.. Sorry, I assumed there was a MPC attached with the pics as we normally do here. My bad and apologies.

The conversation strayed from the OP's request. I was just trying to bring some different perspective, as seen in the world today, of problems associated with these types of things, ie: close copies of someone else's work, especially when they received compensation for it. It can become messy.

Thanks Lawrence. Some of the others I think have missed the point There is no project on this forum to delete. Just some example pictures on how to use the new software. Perhaps my choice of examples wasn't the best.

easybuilt
08-08-2012, 11:36 PM
That is a nice looking adaption to the original. It was also a great learning experience I bet!

badbert
08-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Huh?? Where in the world did this come from?I certainly wasn't pointing fingers, or accusing anyone. I apologize if anyone was offended. I just meant that everyone has at one time or another copied a famous work of art, or used a picture, you don't own, to make a pattern. In this case Michael was given full credit for the work. The original was not copied, only used for inspiration, and he didn't post the MPC, he only posted a picture.

CNC Carver
08-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Steve thanks for the input on time it took to recreate this wonderful project. I'm sure it was a great learning experience. I'll have to put this on my wanted list for my wife.

lynnfrwd
08-09-2012, 06:50 AM
My first thought upon reading the original post was, "bet you could do it with our new software".

Thanks, Steve, for confirming that!! Great job.

As for Michael not chiming in, I assure you it tells you nothing more than he hasn't read the thread and quite possibly may be taking a much deserved break.

Are the software updates to the vectric software free? Or just the projects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easybuilt
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
They send them out free on their monthly newsletter. I get it each month but don't have the software.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/hobbycnc.htm?gclid=CPmvuf7b2rECFSI0QgodY3AAqA

LittleRedWoodshop
08-09-2012, 09:41 AM
This was simply a study, throughout the world of art we use the work of the Masters (MT) to learn from. We study the great works of art to learn form and style. We try to emulate each brush stroke. We go to great lengths to copy in exact detail the quality of their work. This was not an insult, but in my opinion ... flattery. Let's not allow our overwhelming urge to assume that someone is doing something wrong ... cloud the intent ... I am sure this was a great learning experience and it looks great.

Kudos to the software designers at LHR and everyone else for having the vision and the knowledge to provide these tools.

Badbert makes a good point about working together though ... if you look (and you don't have to look very far) there are places where CNC Enthusiasts are working together.

As former president Ronald Reagan said ... "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" ... LOL

SteveEJ
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Are the software updates to the vectric software free? Or just the projects?

Minor software updates are free to registered owners, major software upgrades have a fee. The Vectric projects are free to registered owners. Normally, they are in Vectric specific format. Some come with DXF files.

Added quotes from the Vectric web site. Bold Italics are added by me, words were not changed:

add edit:

http://www.vectric.com

"Vectric's free projects come complete with thorough documentation, including an item checklist and step by step instructions. A downloadable zip file is also available containing the actual project files ready for you to import and use with your Vectric software!

These projects are designed to both inspire and educate our users, and every month we will be offering a new project for you to work on!

To be notified when we have a new project, enter your email address in the box to the right and hit the button to receive the Vectric newsletter."

I posted this for education purposes and make no judgements. This thread is all over the place from converting the actual Vectric project to making a similar project using the new tools to co-operation within web sites. It is very difficult to focus on the actual subject anymore.

end edit

SteveEJ.. Too many Steve's out there..

easybuilt
08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
They are free. Here is the link to the July newsletter.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/2012/08-jul-seahorse-corbels/seahorse-corbel.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+32+-+July+2012&utm_content=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+32+-+July+2012+CID_b2504f2fe742a81e9bb7a514b15826ce&utm_source=Campaign+Monitor+Jan+11&utm_term=Click+here+to+view+this+project

henry1
08-09-2012, 10:36 AM
They are free. Here is the link to the July newsletter.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/2012/08-jul-seahorse-corbels/seahorse-corbel.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+32+-+July+2012&utm_content=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+32+-+July+2012+CID_b2504f2fe742a81e9bb7a514b15826ce&utm_source=Campaign+Monitor+Jan+11&utm_term=Click+here+to+view+this+project
That would be good if we had the software not cheap

SteveEJ
08-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I have wanted Aspire for a LONG time! I also want a 100 foot yacht, 1 Porsche, a big log cabin in the woods and a private jet.. LOL

They are great projects by an outstanding artist!