PDA

View Full Version : What project did you have in mind when you 1st purchased your CW and did you make it

lawrence
08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I was thinking about my CW last night and the path it has taken my ww'ing down. I realized that I never even made the project that I first had in mind when I made the machine.

"in my mind's eye" i was going to create a coffin-shaped DVD case to hold a boxed set of "buffy the vampire slayer" (one of my all time favorite shows) -and keep one for myself and send one to the director, Joss Wheadon. The coffin would have lots of gothic symbols etc on it and the name of the show.

I've never gotten around to making it.... but I love my CW and use it quite a bit.

My question for y'all is

"what project did you first plan on making with your CW when you bought yours, and did you ever make it? " (and please post pics if you did)

Lawrence

mtylerfl
08-05-2012, 12:51 PM
At first, I didn't really know what I would use my CarveWright for....after spotting the Sears CompuCarve commercial on TV, it just looked like FUN (which it is!). I placed my order at our local Sears the next day (nobody there ever heard of a CompuCarve - nevermind that Sears spent a jillion dollars for the ad campaign - so typical for many corporations - one hand did not know what the other hand was doing and left the sales clerks completely uninformed).

While waiting for my machine, I started a list of what to make...two things were at the top of the list:
1) decorative-carved aquarium stands for my 30, 55 and 125 gal. tanks
2) new fireplace mantle and surround

Nope...have never done those...they are still on my list!

DickB
08-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I actually posted on this topic: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?11050-Dash-panel-for-boat

I initially thought of buying or making a pantograph. I figured I could build pieces of the dash that I wanted, such as the angled gauge holders, conventionally and then glue the pieces together. It would look ugly, but only be used as a form to copy into a single piece of wood. That dash was my first project and is in use still.

blhutchens
08-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I bought mine to make a repetitive fretwork moulding for a job. I didn't get that job so I am stuck with it now. I am enjoying carving switch plate covers and signs and anything else I can dream up......................Is there a 12 step program for carving.................Carve to Live, Live to carve..

unitedcases
08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I bought mine to make personalized signs. I think I have only made two of those to date.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

ladjr
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I bought mine to make a repetitive fretwork moulding for a job. I didn't get that job so I am stuck with it now. I am enjoying carving switch plate covers and signs and anything else I can dream up......................Is there a 12 step program for carving.................Carve to Live, Live to carve..

Yes the 12 steps are
Carve
Carve
Carve
Etx
Have fun. I like your 12 steps.

TerryT
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
It was cool.
I buy things that are cool and figure out what to do with them later.
I have made more cool stuff than I could have ever imagined.

fwharris
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I got mine to carve mainly wildlife themed items. Have been able to do a good amount of them and like others some of those other cool projects.

Kenm810
08-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I also ordered mine as soon as I saw the first Sears Commercial on the TV,
I thought it wood be a great added Bench Top Machine for carving detailed pieces in my Wood Shop
It turned out to be Soooo ---- much More!!!

easybuilt
08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I purchased my machine 3 years ago when I was carving large cedar signs by hand but could not get the detail I wanted so I thought I would give the CW a try and never looked back.

CNC Carver
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I got mine as a treat to myself for getting a good job after being laid off for 2 years. We thought my wife was going to loose hers also soon so we decided to treat ourselfs to fun things while we both had jobs and could afford it. I'm glad we did.

bluecobra
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't remember where I first saw it but decided to check eBay and found a refurbished CC from an authorized dealer back in 2007. I'm a machinist by trade and had a pretty good idea what this machine could be capable of. Never had a particular project in mind when purchased, just knew it would come in handy sooner or later.

SteveNelson46
08-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I have been doing woodworking as a hobby for more than 35 years and when I saw the Sears advertisments for the Compucarve back in 07 I knew I had to have one. They had one in stock so I walked out the door with it. Since then, I have made MANY projects for friends, family, myself, and a few businesses ranging from signs to furniture and I have never had so much fun in my life. I really didn't have any specific projects in mind when I bought it but, like Clint Eastwood said in the movie Fire Fox "Man What a Machine".

SharonB
08-06-2012, 12:58 AM
As most of you know I bought my first machine for my husband so he'd stay out of my hair. When that didn't work I took over the shop and the machine.... now he has to make an appointment to use his shop.

I must have been doing a good job because I got my second machine as an early Christmas present last year. As for projects, I had no perceive notion/desire to make anything in particular. But a carved chair rail, around the breakfast nook, and fireplace mantel is lurking in the back of my mind.

Bigtyme
08-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I have been building furniture for over 25 years as a hobby and although my day job is running an engineering company, I have others that get into the CAD programs for our projects and I stuck to paper, pencil and T-squares for my woodworking projects. That is, until I saw an article in American Woodworker last July or August about the CW. The more research I did (told you I run an engineering company :) ), the more I knew I had to add this machine to my shop. I don't regret it in the least. I have about 110 hours on my CW since last August and have had no real problems with it at all. This forum is spectacular and the members couldn't be more helpful and accomodating. I didn't have anything in mind to carve as my first project, but I have carved a number since and enjoy every minute of it. It has added a great new demension to my previous work and I have made a number of clients very pleased by being able to add something else to the work they wanted me to do. I always look forward when I get a chance to load a new project and crank up my Carvewright....

dltccf
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Many years ago my father gave me and each of my brothers a piece of 4x4 with 4 4 letter words carved on the sides: work play love pray. It was a replica of the one he remembered his grandfather had next to the oil lamp by which he read his Bible every day. He would tell my father, then a young boy, that he had to "live like a 4x4" by keeping these 4 things balanced in his life. I intend to pass on a piece of 4x4 with those same 4 4 letter words carved in them to my own children.

dave

lynnfrwd
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Many years ago my father gave me and each of my brothers a piece of 4x4 with 4 4 letter words carved on the sides: work play love pray. It was a replica of the one he remembered his grandfather had next to the oil lamp by which he read his Bible every day. He would tell my father, then a young boy, that he had to "live like a 4x4" by keeping these 4 things balanced in his life. I intend to pass on a piece of 4x4 with those same 4 4 letter words carved in them to my own children.

dave

We should all have 4x4's!!!

Deolman
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
When I first saw the CompuCarve advertised on television, I was enamored with the "cool" factor. I didn't have a first project in mind. I just needed the CW to give me that much more capability to my woodworking hobby. It was a good purchase. One of the things I made was a box and it had an eagle carved on it. It was rectangular with rounded corners and the corners and sides had a uniform thickness. I gave it to a woodworking friend as a present. He was so impressed with the uniqueness of it a million dollars wouldn't have made a better gift.