PDA

View Full Version : Portraits

kcc2012
08-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I've had two request for portraits so I opened up tips and tricks and followed their guidelines. I used cedar because I had a good scrap piece and it was either that or pine. I thought it came out good but don't know if it's good for sale quality work.
Any tips to make it better would be great.
I did try to stain it but what was I thinking a dark stain on dark wood.

GrammaPam
08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
I think it's very nice. Staining only the background helps the face stand out, and maybe the hair in a different stain if it's dark. The Minwax stain with finish is good for not spreading where you don't want color.
Keep up the nice work.
G.P.

easybuilt
08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Good advise Pam! How was your day at Snoqualmie Pam??

kcc2012
08-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Thank you Pam. I can't wait to carve out another one and try your tip.

Alan Malmstrom
08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I can do 3D faces. There's instructions on my web site if your insterested.

I once did a couple tutorials on how to do a halftone in wood:

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial11.pdf

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial12.pdf

Alan

easybuilt
08-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for sharing the tutorials, you always do a great job those.

kcc2012
08-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Thank you Alan I printed off the tutorials last night. I can't wait to try them. I'll let you know.

Elmo Sr
11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
I can do 3D faces. There's instructions on my web site if your insterested.

I once did a couple tutorials on how to do a halftone in wood:

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial11.pdf

http://www.patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial12.pdf

Alan
I am interested in carving portraits, I tried to follow the links but they are expired. I read something the other day about using Gimp to edit pics,before importing to C.W. can anyone help me?

Thanks,
ElmoSr

Alan Malmstrom
11-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I could explain how to get a good image to do the kind of carving shown in the first post using gimp if you want. It would take a little explaining but let me know if you would want me to do it.

blhutchens
11-06-2014, 09:06 PM
I am interested in carving portraits, I tried to follow the links but they are expired. I read something the other day about using Gimp to edit pics,before importing to C.W. can anyone help me?

Thanks,
ElmoSr

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

Here is a link for carving portraits that is fairly good place to start. I have carved a few using this as a reference. All through designer/pattern editor if i remember

Brent

bjbethke
11-07-2014, 01:59 AM

Thanks,
ElmoSr

Hi - I use a program that changes the Photo to a black and white outline, that way I can change the Grayscale in off market programs.

The program that outlines the Photo is a free download for the Windows 8.1 OS program.

You do need a good photo image to make a wood carving.

Elmo Sr
11-07-2014, 05:31 AM
I could explain how to get a good image to do the kind of carving shown in the first post using gimp if you want. It would take a little explaining but let me know if you would want me to do it.

yes i would like to try and learn to do a good portrait, I have done a couple and they 1/2 stunk

Elmo Sr
11-07-2014, 05:33 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

Here is a link for carving portraits that is fairly good place to start. I have carved a few using this as a reference. All through designer/pattern editor if i remember

Brent

thanks for the link, I will check it out

Alan Malmstrom
11-07-2014, 11:10 AM
This procedure will give a result similar to the high pass filter that is available in various software.

Step1. Open the photo in gimp and turn the image into greyscale by choosing [Colors] [Desaturate].

Step2. Duplicate the layer [Layer] [ Duplicate Layer].

Step 3. Change the layer mode to [Grain Extract].

Step 4. Run the Propogate filter [Filters] [Distorts] [Value Propogate] and click [More Black] inside the dialog box before hitting OK. (Depending on the image doing this step again may yield better results).

Step 5. Copy the visual image to the clipboard [Edit] [Copy Visible] and paste it into the Designer software [File] [Import] [Import Image File] dialog box and click [From Clipboard]. After clicking [Next] change the depth to .03 to .05 depending on what looks good to you. Shallow is best usually.

Step 6. Carve it out and fill the depressions with Gel Stain or Wood Filler or something, and wipe off the excess.

Note: Various image pixel sizes will give different results. If you find the result to be too grainy you may want to Gaussian blur the image with a setting of 2 to 3 before doing the whole process.

bjbethke
11-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Hi Elmo Sr,

I reworked the Pattern file of the Photo of my Great Grand Child I posted on post#11, she is the younger sister of the pattern I made in my CW ICON. I removed the background and adjusted the Image. If you "PM" me your e-mail I can make you a PDF file to show you how I did that. BJB

I also offer CD and DVD's of my patterns.

The programs I used were; CW Pattern Editor, CW Designer Version 1.187, Photoshop, ShaderMap Pro, Sketch Me More and PicSketch. The two Sketch programs are free downloads from Windows 8.1 "OS" program. I don't have the Newer CW programs.

Elmo Sr
11-08-2014, 05:49 AM
I want to thank all who responded to my question, it will take me a while to wrap my pea brain around all this info. sure glad I have two screens so I can see instructions while I work on pic.
Thanks
Elmo Sr.

bjbethke
11-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi, I gave Her a Hair Cut !!!

henry1
11-09-2014, 09:33 AM
wow looks great keep up the good work

easybuilt
11-09-2014, 10:33 AM
That is awesome! Thanks for showing us.