PDA

View Full Version : Designer licenses

wlkjr
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I bought a CW about 3 weeks ago and installed the project designer software on my desktop and my wife's laptop. Yesterday I bought a nice little netbook and thought I might install the project software on it. Imagine my dismay to learn it cost $150 for another licenses. Does that even sound remotely reasonable? I feel violated.

ladjr
08-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I bought a CW about 3 weeks ago and installed the project designer software on my desktop and my wife's laptop. Yesterday I bought a nice little netbook and thought I might install the project software on it. Imagine my dismay to learn it cost $150 for another licenses. Does that even sound remotely reasonable? I feel violated.

There is a limit on how many computers you can have I beleive it is 2. However if you take one of the current computers off you can then use it on a new computer

cestout
08-02-2012, 03:32 PM
As far as know you can have 2 computers on your license. I have my main tower (in the process of being replaced) and a laptop. Call LHR. To see what you have, go to manage licenses under Help and log into your account. Will a netbook handle designer?
Clint

wlkjr
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
As far as know you can have 2 computers on your license. I have my main tower (in the process of being replaced) and a laptop. Call LHR. To see what you have, go to manage licenses under Help and log into your account. Will a netbook handle designer?
Clint It will. But not for $150. I downloaded the trial version and it would be nice to work with it when on vacation. Gee whiz, it's good for nothing if you don't have a machine anyway.

chebytrk
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes, we are only authorized 2 licenses per Designer Software (and the other software the LHR sells... DXF, STL, etc). I do remember Connie telling us at the conference that if a person wants more than the "standard" 2 licenses that come with the SW, it would have to be purchased at $150 per license. What can I say, that's the way it is. I'm lucky that I have 2 machines and therefore can have up to 4 licenses (4-PCs).

cnsranch
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
If you already have two licensed, you'll have to call LHR - they will delete one of the two so you can put it on a new one.

lawrence
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Just call up and remove the license from one of your computers while you are on vacation and put it back on when you return... no extra charge....

Just a little extra hassle as the phone service at LHR has been excellent lately.

Lawrence

cestout
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
JerryB, are you saying that I can now add 2 more computers? My wife will be thrilled to hear that.
Clint

wlkjr
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I only want one more but have to buy two. Again I must be the only one who understands that. Should I have to buy two tires if I just needed one?

fwharris
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I only want one more but have to buy two. Again I must be the only one who understands that. Should I have to buy two tires if I just needed one?

Wilbur,

I think it is that your are buying a "license" to be able to run the designer software. With that license you are able to use it on two different computers. Is it a real need to be able to run designer on three computers or is it a would be real nice to have?

chebytrk
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Each CW comes with 2 licenses to run it's Designer program. 2 licenses hence being able to load a license on 2 PCs. If you have 2 CWs then that means you have 4 licenses total (2 per CW).. 3 CWs = 6 licences, etc, etc. If a person that wishes to have 1 extra license, that can be purchased from LHR for $150 (per 1 license). This is what I understood from Connie when I heard her discussing this at our last conference.
So if you already own 2 CWs (and both are registered with LHR), then yes you should have a total of 4 licenses (2 per CW). Please be sure to have this verified by checking with Connie or someone at LHR.

JerryB, are you saying that I can now add 2 more computers? My wife will be thrilled to hear that.
Clint

unitedcases
08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
What if you did the 30 day trial on your netbook to see if it suits your needs?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

wlkjr
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Wilbur,

I think it is that your are buying a "license" to be able to run the designer software. With that license you are able to use it on two different computers. Is it a real need to be able to run designer on three computers or is it a would be real nice to have?..
Pretty obvious by now that no one understands my reasoning. Since this is just a hobby it not worth it.

lawrence
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
we're trying man....

what you want to do is buy the ability to go onto 1 more computer, but they only sell licenses, and each license works for 2 computers.

Kind of reminds me of the story in saving private ryan where the guy's relative had a leg blown off in the Civil war and every year on the same day he met with another guy who had the other leg blown off and they bought a pair of shoes together. They don't sell shoes in "lefts" only, and they don't sell designer licenses in singles...

Maybe what you need is someone with an extra "parts" machine that is willing to sell you the rights to their machine's designer license as they don't need it. Either that, or an old guy that needs a right shoe... I'm not really clearheaded after this long a day... I'll bet if you put out an offer to buy the rights for $75 you'd probably get a seller...

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
We fully understand what u are wanting, but it doesn't work that way.

Instead of thinking of it as u have to buy two when u only need to install it on one computer, think of it this way. Buy license for one computer, get second free. Or, you can't buy half a license.

Our system is not set up to do that. All customer accounts get two installs per license whether designer, centerline, STL importer or pattern...etc.

Try one of the other suggestions given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
08-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Also, two machines, means two Project Designer licenses (4 computer installs). Does not give you two more computer installs of other licenses like advanced software or patterns.

lawrence
08-04-2012, 09:05 AM
psst, Connie... your PM inbox is full...

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I deleted some. Thanks. Resend please.