PDA

View Full Version : Old carving bits

Old Salt
08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
So you have a few old carving bits that are to dull to carve with.
I have started using them for wood screw pilot holes they work great with the taper built in.

Gary

lawrence
08-02-2012, 02:06 PM
great tip, thanks!

Maybe I'm strange, but even though I carve very hard/silica heavy woods (a lot of mesquite) I am still on my original 1/16 carving bit. I do clean it with a carbide cleaner quite often, but it is still very sharp.

Lawrence

Old Salt
08-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I have a bad habit of dropping one now and then takes the tip off real fast.
Just getting to old.

Gary

cnsranch
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Just getting to old.

Actually, it's the old salt that's messing the bits up :)

Very corrosive.

cestout
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
haven't seen the carbide cleaner. I recently started using cheep spray oven cleaner and my bits lasted longer. As I said previously, I use the old cutting bits in my router table to clean up edges. I tried making a table for my Rotozip as suggested, but went back to the router table and cutting bit.
Clint

chebytrk
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I still keep hearing every once in a while that there are places that exist which can re sharpen these bits. I personally haven't tried it and don't know anyone on this Forum who has. If there is anyone out there in "Sawdust Land" that has resharpend their ol' bits, please let us know if it worked, what was the cost and Where was it done. Thanks.... "my name is chebytrk and I approve this message............" :p

BMURPH8
10-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Alternatively there are a bunch of supply houses that will buy back Carbide bits, J&L Supply is one I used in the past and they pay 10.00 a pound.

unitedcases
10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
That would take a lot of bits to make a pound.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

badbert
10-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Man I found some great uses for two of my old Cutting bits. One was the original, it had 400 hours on it, I chuck it up in my drill press and use it to cut patterns out trim patterns up or level off chipped out text! Of course as luck would have it... As soon as I installed the new cutting bit, The Z encoder came loose! Fixed it with some CG. But the bit broke... first use!! SO I use the shaft part as a general collett tool. Shrink wrap trimmed to expose .25 to set the bit depth. The pointed end makes a great pusher! The spiral part of the bit now occupies the First slot in my Dremel kit! I can't even beginn to tell you all the purposes it has! It has become my GO-TO tool for cutting trimming and drilling starters. I wish I had saved my broken carving bit!