PDA

View Full Version : photoshop help/suggestions please

Malfunction
01-28-2007, 01:23 PM
here is my first attempt at making a greyscale model with photoshop. i had to section out each part with the lasso tool and then add a greyscale. it took me a long time to figure out to do it this way. i have a few questions though:

1)is there an easier way to add greyscale than to lasso it.
2)is there a way to get a consistant greyscale for all sections. each one of mine is a little bit different because i had to add each separately.
3)i greyscaled my inside trapezoids backwards. is there an easy way to reverse it. (i have the white at the bottom of the section rather than at the top.
4)if you take a look at the picture, inside the skull there is a faint remnant of another circle. i couldn't figure out how to add a greyscale from the inner circle to the outer. i was trying to create a beveled surface down to the skull rather than how i have it now.

jeri4519
01-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Here is a photoshop site page that gives a good tutorial on converting color images to greyscale. It steps through the different ways it can be done from the very direct to the more and best method with the most control.

http://photoshop911.typepad.com/links/image_editing/index.html

bob

Malfunction
01-28-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks for the reply. i watched the video and it does have a wealth of information.

i think i am going to have to go in and fix my trapezoids manually :cry: .

Greybeard
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
While I have used PS, I'm more familiar with corel draw/photopaint.
However, I think they will both have the same approach.

Your looking to fill each section of your design with a smooth graduated change of color. You can use whatever color you like, making sure you use the same one, then convert the whole image afterwards. Not sure about which is the best tool for each piece of your particular design, though.

But when you've got the whole desing to your satisfaction, only then convert to greyscale. If you look for an "Image" menu you should find "convert to" where it gives various options like "Black and white/cmyk/greyscale".
The whole image is then converted, and you can then save as a gif or jpeg.

As many people are using PS, I'd better put it back on the pc and do a revision course on the tools. :)
John

newcarver
01-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I've been ps for quite awhile and am still learning!!!

Greybeard
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
That's why I'm sticking to corel - it's what I'm familiar with. :D

However, I would guess that if a poster to the forum is asking for advise, they are probably using an older version. Is that a fair assumption ?

So some of my knowledge may still be useful. :)

John

Malfunction
01-28-2007, 04:57 PM
my first step was to clean up an image i found online with DrawPlus8. after learning that (first time i have used it) i moved it to photoshop. i must have started over a dozen or so times before i figured enough out from both the programs to get me by. i have been working with this image since i picked up the machine last week :lol: .

that's when i decided to ask for help on the issues listed above. it takes some thinking outside the box to get some of the results i am looking for.

mainly though i am curious how to get a cleaner greyscale in each area i lassoed. i mean make them all the same if you follow me. for each shaded region i had to add a greyscale. lol, i am carving the image now so i am going to see how bad or good my novice method works.