PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Ideas

chebytrk
07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Hey All,
I've been asked by our Shriner's Clown unit to come up with something to "spruce" up our Limo Golf cart for parades. A donation was made to us of a Caliope that is so cool. It can be played manually and even has a paper drum which can play whatever song is on the paper roll. We're having it cleaned and shined up (the brass pipes) and are really excited about getting it ready. We plan on putting it on a small trailer and pull it with our Limo Golf cart. I made some "In Memory" plaques to put on the side of the Caliope and now I'm being asked to maybe make some type of border around the top (or sides) of the Limo cart. They want to try and do a Circus theme so I was thinking of maybe 1x6 boards around the top with circus animals? I don't really have a clue, but it sounds like it can be a fun project if I can just figure out how to dress up the Limo cart so that it will compliment the red Caliope. So any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Boy, now is the time that I wish I had the 3d software and knew how to use it. Imagine a "puffed" hippo and elephant. ha Here are some pics of the "in memory" plaques and even our Shiner Clown logo with names of some of our clowns that I've made some plaques for. Clown plaques are in high demand now that they know I carve a little. ha ha Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks, JerryB

lynnfrwd
07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
My idea for the top of the cart would be a tent shape, like under the big top, and your idea of animals around it.

dltccf
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
How about a merry-go-round look? There should be a horse pattern that could have a pole attached and then could be painted different colors. Maybe set them at different heights to represent them going up and down.

chebytrk
07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of maybe making something on top of the cart like a big top tent or something. I wonder if I could make a few of those merry go round horses and attach to the border around the top of the cart. In between the horses carve some circus animals & maybe clown faces?

chebytrk
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm going to go out to the Clown hut and take some pics of the Limo Cart and get measurements so I can start narrowing all this down.

lynnfrwd
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Exciting project, Jerry. Document as you go and keep us up to date!

chebytrk
07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Will do. Maybe I'll upload a pic of us all around it after we're "clowned up" and ready for the parade!

Exciting project, Jerry. Document as you go and keep us up to date!

bjbethke
07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I like the idea of maybe making something on top of the cart like a big top tent or something. I wonder if I could make a few of those merry go round horses and attach to the border around the top of the cart. In between the horses carve some circus animals & maybe clown faces?

I have several Carousel type full size and head images.

WoodenWizard
07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Will do. Maybe I'll upload a pic of us all around it after we're "clowned up" and ready for the parade!

Brings back Memories. I used to be a member of the World Clown Association. Before I made it a habit to keep my beard.. it did not go with my clown..haha

chebytrk
07-31-2012, 09:08 AM
OK... so here's something I'm trying to put together. The horse is from a grayscale pic that was downloaded from the "chinese" URL link that was posted quite some time ago on the forum. I've carved the horse and it carves really well. I've added the Pole to it, but I don't know how to have it so the pole doesn't blend in the horse body as I place it. Is there a way to move the pole to the back or the horse to the front so that doesn't happen? I want to keep the round curve of the pole as much as possible. I figure maybe I can carve about 6 of these and paint them different colors and it may not look too bad. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

SteveNelson46
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Jerry

Just play with the height and depth of the pole and the horse

chebytrk
07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Sometimes one has to only open their eyes! LOL Thanks.

Jerry

Just play with the height and depth of the pole and the horse

chebytrk
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
OK everyone... I've started up again on my ol' Clown train project. I'm just looking for a little help and opinions on what I can do with these mpcs the I've made. I downloaded pics from the internet, used paint.net, and imported in to Designer. Of course they came out looking much like the kind of work that Alan Malmstrom, Eddie, Tom, Cpt Bruce and others make.... NOT! LOL Anyway, what we have is a stretch golf cart that we use in parades and my plans are to run a border along/around the top of the cart. The sides measure 13' 1/2 and the front and back measure 3'. So my plans are to use boards from HD (that and Lowes are my only choice) and maybe use 3ea 4' boards and another cut to 1' 1/2 and this way I can make full use of the sides of the golf cart. Maybe use the 1' 1/2" board to place the train engine and the rest of the boards will have the train cars. I'll use the same thing on the opposite side of the cart only facing the front so maybe "reface" the engine and last board. I'll find something else to place on front and back of the cart. Maybe clown faces or something. I kinda want to paint all the boards yellow (before carving?) so that way the carvings will stand out even more (I plan on painting each carving). So.... if some of you might have some time to look at my mpc's and offer some advice on how to improve them in any way, I'd appreciate it. You're welcome to use any of this if you see fit to something. We also have someone that is going to build/weld brackets on the cart so we can slide the boards in to place whenever needed.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, JerryB