PDA

View Full Version : How to create a fish contour using "puffing"

Picketoaks
07-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi all... CW newbie here.

I have been experimenting with some simple outline carvings using Designer and have just purchased the new 3D Pattern Modeling Suite. As tutorials and information are limited for new software, I'm looking for help to create a carving similar to the image I've attached below. Note that I'm not trying to copy it per se and am not interested in the carving details but would simply like to know how to achieve carving out a similar outline of a fish form. That is, one that tapers or is rounded down from the form's center horizontal line.

I've tried a few attempts using the "puffing" function but am not happy with my results. I'm not sure how to explain my results either since I'm very new to this and the CW system. My best description is that my tests seem to take too much surface wood away and the carving is very much diminished.

Can anyone guide me on how to achieve something like what I've attached?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

bjbethke
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi all... CW newbie here.

I have been experimenting with some simple outline carvings using Designer and have just purchased the new 3D Pattern Modeling Suite. As tutorials and information are limited for new software, I'm looking for help to create a carving similar to the image I've attached below. Note that I'm not trying to copy it per se and am not interested in the carving details but would simply like to know how to achieve carving out a similar outline of a fish form. That is, one that tapers or is rounded down from the form's center horizontal line.

I've tried a few attempts using the "puffing" function but am not happy with my results. I'm not sure how to explain my results either since I'm very new to this and the CW system. My best description is that my tests seem to take too much surface wood away and the carving is very much diminished.

Can anyone guide me on how to achieve something like what I've attached?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Welcome to this forum, I don’t have the new 3D pattern program active. It looks like you need to Draw or Trace the outline image and then set the End View of the image to get the 3D look. I use other programs like PhotoShop and ShaderMap Pro to get a Grayscale end view height to my patterns. I then use the CW Pattern Editor to adjust the pattern files. – I adjust the grayscale in the image with PhotoShop and then get the height to control the “Z Truck” with the ShaderMap program. It’s fast and easy, almost an AUTO functions. I have posted several PDF’s to show how I do that on the forum. PM me with your e-mail and I can send you a PDF.

Picketoaks
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi bjbethke,

Thanks so much for you input. Unfortunately, I do not have CW Pattern Editor but look forward to your PDF for more information. My email address is 4terrapins@gmail.com.

Regards.