PDA

View Full Version : Need help b4 buying a CW - can it ....

mcor
07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone - thanks in advance - b4 I make a several thousand dollar mistake I wanted to check first - it seems that it can be done but......
Task is to create a number of chair spindles about 13" long from 1" square stock - finished diameter will vary from 5/8" to 3/8" with various grooves, etc - stock ranges from rock maple to ebony and several soft woods - will need to duplicate about 25 existing spindles, making about 3 of each - so, question is: is the CW suitable for this and can I use the scanning probe to digitize the existing models? - have been doing this on a standard lathe setup but was hoping the CW could do for the automated features and such.

I see there's a special fixture one can buy for doing round stock and that's fine if that'll do the trick in concert with the CW and the scanning probe - thanks again for your experience with this machine:p

Digitalwoodshop
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Before you get disappointed I am a +1 as posted above, GET a Lathe Duplicator for this task. The Rotary has a length limitation of about 12 inches.

Once you make the pattern for the duplicator you could make a dozen in the time it would take to do one on the CW.

On the PLUS side... The new Pattern Software would be ideal to make pattens for the Spindles...

I am always a CW Supporter, but in this case I think you will be disappointed doing it the CW Way if that is your ONLY need.

Another thought... You could use the CW to cut the Hardboard Pattern for the Duplicator. That would be sweet... And worth the investment.

AL

mcor
07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks very much Al - that's sort of what I thought, and have been considered a duplicating attachment for lathe but haven't done it yet - but I really like the idea of the Pattern Software for new jobs and I have a few other things I would do on the CW, i.e., some simple mold making in which wood as a medium for impressing a design into clay, etc. is just fine (already doing it but using other people's "dies", etc which has lots of limitations - as I have really no knowlege of the capabilities of the CW software your comment in that regard were extremely helpful so think I will move ahead and purchase a new CW - already have lathes and such so no problem picking up duplicator for that/those. Thanks again for your really quick response - that lets me take advantage of one of the special summer deals b4 it closes out and such - guess now I really will be a CW newbie

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Excellent.... I didn't chase away a future CW Owner...

You bring up a seldom talked about use for the CW here but something that I have thought about as I was asked by a local Tile maker....

The CW would be EXCELLENT to make Clay Molds out if something like Corian.... Think of the Possibilities...

Many off the shelf tiles including the many Black Bear patterns could give you a real niche market.... Imagine a Family of Bear Tiles with Trees in a repeating pattern.... Fish, Deer, and the Thousands of other Themes that would make a Home Designer DROOL...

A Un tapped market... CW pattern maker and the Kiln....

Welcome and Good Luck,

AL

mcor
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks again Al - very refreshing to find a group so forthcoming with help and ideas/insights - know there will be learning curve but no hurry and will just take my time so I don't tear something up - been involved in metal for many years but know very little about working in wood other than some very basic turning and such so should be an interesting journey - wife already involved in the ceramics/pottery arena so just a matter of expanding the thought processes a little:)

cestout
07-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree about using a lathe to make the spindles. My CWs are part of a complete shop, each tool doing what it is best for. But the CW isn't several thousand dollars. Getting a bunch of extras is just over 2G. But lathes are fun to. I just ordered a chuck for mine so I can mix CW and lathe stuff.
Clint