PDA

View Full Version : Can the DXF Importer be brought up to date?

SteveEJ
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
First let me say that I love the DXF Importer. It does frustrate me though!

I use VCarve Pro 6.5 for a lot of my work. I do this because:
1 - I have more than the CW and I need to be able to use files across CNC machines (CW and Legacy with GCode)
2 - There is no DXF Export function (except DWS which cannot be used outside designer).

So, my question: Can the DXF Importer be updated to import the latest DXF Filespecs?

Having to load DXF's into Corel Draw or another program and re-saving it as a AutoCad 2004 is going backwards and time consuming. Plus you must BUY cored draw (or another suite) leaving less $$ for LHR, wood, bits, etc.

Also, while we are at it, why not a DXF export function? We now have these great 2D functions, why can't we save them in DXF format? I understand that because Designer is more than vectors 2.5D objects would be left out/not qualify for DXF exporting, and they shouldn't be.

These additions would make the software MUCH better!

Thanks..

SteveEJ
07-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Also, I cannot group a imported DXF and create a pattern. It says: "Oneor more patterns in the group you have selected is owned by another user."

Interesting.. I owned all of the vectors! The file was pure vectors!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edit: OK, I have read why I cannot 'Make Pattern' with vectors. So, Why is the 'Make Pattern' not ghosted when making a pattern is not possible?

SteveEJ
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I have done some testing on the latest version DXF file the importer can handle. So far I am up to 2008 (exported from Corel Draw). I plan to load my TurboCad and see what versions it will export and text them against the DXF importer. I am also trying to find out what version VCarve Pro 6.5 exports to.

If anybody is interested I will post results, if not we can ignore this thread.

Thanks,

jlovchik
07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Just to let you and anyone else interested know, in the new version (1.184) we have added an options menu to the DXF importer. Some CAD programs assume that certain shapes should automatically be closed, while not designating it to be a closed shape. This caused some issues in our importer not bringing in the entire shape. The new options section allows you to instruct the importer to make this assumption and bring in your DXF files without missing sections. Hope this helps.

Also, the problem you had with the vectors not working with the Make Pattern is a bug in 1.184. This will be fixed in 1.185 which will be coming out very soon.

lawrence
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks Joe!

The update change log didn't address this; were there any other changes?

Lawrence

SteveEJ
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the feedback! It is greatly appreciated. Now to look for the option.. I missed it.

SteveEJ
07-30-2012, 06:39 PM
OK. I found the option and it seems to fix the import issue from VCarve exported DXF's.

See attached DXF, LHR-Test1 and LHR-Test2. Test 1 is with the option NOT set, test 2 is with it set. Qusetion: Is there any advantage to not having it set?

Also, with either setting I get a dialog box with the following text:
"Some of the entities in this file are unsupported, and were not imported.
Blocks are not supported."

I have tested this thru DXF 2008 in Corel and TurboCAD Pro 14 saved files and this dialog does not show up.

Thanks again!

jlovchik
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
This was the only change to the DXF Importer. With all the excitement about the 2 new software suites we forgot to mention the DXF fix! The dialog's about parts of the DXF cannot be imported is referring to parts of the file that are not vector information. Things like groups, blocks, text, dimensional information, etc. All our importer looks for and accepts is the vectors. These messages are just alerting you of this, but the files should open just fine.

SteveEJ
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback! It cuts out a step that I used to have to make.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD