PDA

View Full Version : 2007 0r 08 Carvewright Router

Tagwatts
07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
The router came with software. After some research and study, I decided it needed to have an update spindle. Having found this out, will I now have to have a upgrade for the software as well? I have had incurred no costs with this machine as it came to me as a gift. It came to me still in the carton it was sold in. It was never even opened in 6 + years. So this is a brand new, unused machine. I have read several reviews on this product. Many of them are not favorable, but from what I have read, it seems to be more operator error than machine problems.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated. I am not a professional woodworker, but enjoy woodworking as a hobby. I have read the manual that came with it and created notes as to what I think needs to be done prior to ever trying to use the Router.

Thanks,

chevytrucking
07-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I bought a used machine and had read all the reviews and suggested upgrades too. But, I wouldn't just jump on the upgrade bandwagon just yet. I'd use the machine just as it is for while and get to know it before spending any money on upgrades. I use mine, and it's older than yours, without any upgrades and although I've had issues now and then, it basically works as it's supposed to. After you install the software and register, under the "help" header there is a check for upgrades link that will take care of the software, free of course.

The only upgrade that I'm leaning towards really hard, is the rubber belts. The sandpaper ones work pretty good, but put a slightly out of square board in there, and you'll screw one up. Again, I suggest just using it as is until you get to know it better and then decide about upgrades as you encounter issues. Learning the software really well is the main thing you need at first, I think the hardware is fine.

fwharris
07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
The router came with software. After some research and study, I decided it needed to have an update spindle. Having found this out, will I now have to have a upgrade for the software as well? I have had incurred no costs with this machine as it came to me as a gift. It came to me still in the carton it was sold in. It was never even opened in 6 + years. So this is a brand new, unused machine. I have read several reviews on this product. Many of them are not favorable, but from what I have read, it seems to be more operator error than machine problems.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated. I am not a professional woodworker, but enjoy woodworking as a hobby. I have read the manual that came with it and created notes as to what I think needs to be done prior to ever trying to use the Router.

Thanks,

No additional software is needed no matter what spindle system you have. It is the same for all versions of the machine. On the manual please go to the main CW site and down load the most current version, the one with the machine is out dated..

badbert
07-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks, Wow are you in for some fun... What you have is much much more than a router! Use it like it is before you upgrade. There is a learning curve to the machine. But you have made the first step in the right direction, this forum is an invaluable resource, at helping you through the trials and tribulations of owning a Carvewright. First thing you need to do is LUBE that thing up and get rid of any little surface rust problems.

ladjr
07-27-2012, 04:05 PM
As Bert said you have found the best resource for help about the Carvewright is this forum. I agree just start using it and discover what it does and you want to do before you spend $$ on anything. If you have any problems feel free to post your question on the forum. Good Luck.

Old Salt
07-27-2012, 04:55 PM
If it is 6 years old be sure and lube cable with new type of recomended moly spray. Check for updates to this unit.

Good Luck with carving , great unit you will enjoy it.

cestout
07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
As stated, getting your software up to date is free. Use it for a while to fine out what you don't know and ask questions here. As for upgrade, I agree that rubber belts are a good step, but those negative comments you spoke of were in large part due to the QC chuck, so you should also think about a spindle upgrade. For software upgrades, when you have some experience and probably before any hardware upgrades, I strongly recommend Centerline ($100) and Conforming vectors ($50). But not yet - your will soon see the need - then get them.
Clint

lynnfrwd
07-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Also, if u are going to use the QC for a while. Make sure u get the bit properly installed each time. One misstep can ruin your QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton80
07-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, not sure what changes were involved in the reva to revb machines but someone will be able to tell you. The key here is to understand most of the problems with the machines early on were caused by the QC and how much cleaning and maintenance is required to keep it from failing. There are a bunch of moving parts involved with the QC and they all collect dust. Dust is the killer. The sandpaper belts are fine and I still have the original belts on mine and don't believe I would upgrade to the rubber ones... the cost difference is not worth it IMO. If you end up looking to upgrade the first and only thing I would highly recommend is either buying the ROCK chuck or the new Carvetight spindle... I suppose they are both about the same in cost. The Rock has certainly proved itself to be a very valuable upgrade. The owners of a Carvetight equipped machine also seem just as happy.

billybehr
07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Not to disagree too much with Ton, but the rubber belt upgrade is worth every dime spent. They track better and you never have a problem with them rolling under. Next to the Rock chuck or Carvetight spindle, I think this is one of the best upgrades I made to my machine. As with what other people have said, you. An wait on any of these upgrades. Play with the machine first and get through the initial learning curve. I can't say this enough: read this forum. A plethora of good information.

Bill