PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain - Project of the Month AUGUST 2012

mtylerfl
07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for AUGUST 2012), the Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain.

This project demonstrates how fun and easy it is to create a wooden chain with your CarveWright machine. An Anchor Clock was thrown in for good measure - you know - so you could connect the chain to ‘something’! The chain pattern (PTN) as well as the Anchor pattern were created using the CarveWright Designer Modeling Suite and the Pattern Editor. (The project MPC's were laid out in Designer version 1.182 in case you haven't updated to the newest version yet, and the PTN's are compatible with ALL Designer versions).

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The completed Chain is about 19" long (but you can make it shorter or longer) and the Anchor is about 7" wide x 10" tall x ¾" thick.

Main items you will need
1) The Project Files (included):
• Wooden_Chain_Links.mpc
• Anchor.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Chain Links: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24”
Anchor: 0.75" x 11" x 18”

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above. NOTE: Make sure the chain link board is a full 1/2-inch thick. Otherwise the machine will not accept it without a sled or jig.

3) Sandpaper, wood glue (a type that dries clear such as TiteBond III), wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A 2¼" Clock insert. I used a model 15686 clock from www.Klockit.com (http://www.Klockit.com)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.
Here’s what I used on my Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain made from Select Pine:
Anchor
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Black Cherry
• Bullseye Sealcoat as clear top coat (Bullseye Sealcoat is actually a clear de-waxed shellac...this is NOT the same as regular clear shellac which is NOT dewaxed)
• Krylon Clear Acrylic spray overall

Chain
• Minwax Natural Stain #209 - I dipped the chain in the can and hung it up to dry.

lawrence
07-24-2012, 11:21 PM
that (as always) looks AMAZING!

I was thinking about making a chain after reading about CNC chain making (I'd imagine it much easier on the CW) in a recent magazine.

Great looking project!

Lawrence

easybuilt
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
That looks great Michael! Can't wait to carve it. Thanks for all your unique ideas!

Skyhawk
07-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Wow, I can't to get this one! Great work as usual!

Ton80
07-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Trying to wrap my head around how you made that chain... can't wait to see the files!

Smoken D
07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Another Great one Michael. I already know a swabee I can make that one for HA!:D

bluecobra
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Nice project, very interesting!

Trying to wrap my head around how you made that chain... can't wait to see the files!

My guess is that the links are 90° to each other, 45° off plane, like an "X".

ladjr
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Another great project. I will be interested to see how you did the chain.

Bigtyme
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
It looks great....can't wait to fire up my CW and give it a try when it comes out.... The chain itself will turn some heads for sure....

bergerud
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
My guess is that the links are 90° to each other, 45° off plane, like an "X".

I think that would require a four sided carve. I have experimented with exactly what you suggest. See the mpcs below. My guess is that they are two sided carves and you have to glue some of the links together.

bluecobra
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I think that would require a four sided carve. I have experimented with exactly what you suggest. See the mpcs below. My guess is that they are two sided carves and you have to glue some of the links together. There I go again, running my mouth before thinking it through ;)
Thanks for the proof of concept

lawrence
07-25-2012, 05:31 PM
the magazine article that used a CNC to make chain links did it that way--break every other link and reglue... which is how I figured to do it. The other CNC, however, had a really elaborate jigging system that would not be necessary on the CW and required multiple moves of the material that would not be required on the CW. It made me smile when I realized how much easier it would be for us to do.

I'm unsure how Michael made his chains and am just speculting a bit on how he did his beautiful piece.

Lawrence

easybuilt
09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Finally finished the August POM, I think this will make some great Christmas presents! Thought I was use some colors that looked metal. I cut two of them since I was doing it and the chain was easier then I thought to glue it back up and my paint covers any mistakes. Thanks Michael for another great project.

Smoken D
09-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Great Job Tom! The paint job really made it stand out---in time:D

easybuilt
09-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Smoken D! I was hoping to get the old look.

SharonB
09-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Tom...I really like the way the anchor came out. Was the paint one of the "hammered metal" paints?

badbert
09-02-2012, 12:39 AM
That came out great! All that's missing is the rust! It looks like metal in the picture.

lawrence
09-02-2012, 12:57 AM
That looks GREAT Tom-- well done! What wood is that carve under the finish?

Lawrence

easybuilt
09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks so much Lawrence, Sharon, Bert and Sharon.
I used red cedar. The anchor is painted with Valspar stone grey/black and the chain is painted Rustoleum multicolor texture black.

ladjr
09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the paint information. The clock looks great. and the paint is perfect

henry1
09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Finally finished the August POM, I think this will make some great Christmas presents! Thought I was use some colors that looked metal. I cut two of them since I was doing it and the chain was easier then I thought to glue it back up and my paint covers any mistakes. Thanks Michael for another great project.
Can that anchor be enlarged and the clock be the same dimention

easybuilt
09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Henry,
You can enlarge the anchor but you will have to redo the cut for the clock and the cut path on the outside.