PDA

View Full Version : Beginner software

rebarchik
07-23-2012, 01:37 PM
When initially purchasing a CarveWright what software would you recommend other than what comes with the machine. Centerline, STL, DXF?

thanks
Bob R

dbfletcher
07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Centerline is probably the only one I would recommend right off the bat. There is already a fair learning curve with the new machine and if you load up with all the software add-on's you will most likely just be overwhelmed. Start simple, once you have a good grasp of the basics, then you can better determine what software you might need to let you achieve you goals with the machine.

ladjr
07-23-2012, 01:59 PM
When initially purchasing a CarveWright what software would you recommend other than what comes with the machine. Centerline, STL, DXF?

thanks
Bob R

From my own experience. I purchased Centerline, then DXF, then the two new software 2D & 3D. But now I'm not sure because with the new software I might buy the 2D first. You can used the 2D on demo mode.

fwharris
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Rob,

I would go with Doug's recommendation but would also add the conforming vectors if you are a beginner with any kind of designing software. If you are more advanced with this stuff then possibly the STL and the scanning probe.. check out the software tutorials on the CW site if you have not done so already..

Ton80
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
From my own experience. I purchased Centerline, then DXF, then the two new software 2D & 3D. But now I'm not sure because with the new software I might buy the 2D first. You can used the 2D on demo mode.

You "can't" run the 2D in Demo.. I assume that was just a typo that you missed? Only the 3D can run in Demo

I would also second the Centerline as your first add-on. You'll probably find it the best bang for your dollar and with it, you can import line art for V-carves by using "dingbats"... search the tips and tricks section for the write up and there are a number of threads on the forum that will help you out if you're not sure how that works.

rebarchik
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Thank you all very helpful.

Bob R

lawrence
07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I have a little different approach-- what types of things are you hoping to carve? This will help us advise you better as to what we think you should get.

V/r
Lawrence

rebarchik
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I hope to do signs, plagues and awards. I also plan on purchasing the POM for a year to get my feet wet with other projects.

Bob R

lawrence
07-24-2012, 07:30 AM
In that case then I am 100% in agreement with those that said to go with centerline and the conforming vectors options first. Down the road a bit you would probably find the 2d tools to be very useful as well- esp for the offset function, but you can certainly get started with the base software and centerline/conforming vectors.

Lawrence

Bigtyme
07-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I also agree with the centerline and conforming vectors options first. I am coming up on my first year with my CW and find those two to be the best all around additions to the Designer Program. I am saving my allowance for the two new ones but hope to learn more about them before plopping down the bucks....the tutorials have been very helpful so far, but I will have to watch them a few times before they sink in....

cestout
07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
When I demonstrate this machine for potential buyers, I always STRONGLY recomend Centerline and Conforming Vectors. No other add ons are needed during the learning period - but those are.
Clint