PDA

View Full Version : New 3D software question?

Nighthawk12
07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
First let me say that the new 3D software is awesome, very easy to learn and make great patterns with. A Freind of mine has a Carvewright machine also and I made him a pattern with the new 3D software that I purched and emailed the 3D pattern to him. When he tried to load the pattern he had to update to the newest version of designer software that's understandable. So after updating designer he tried to load the pattern again it says that he can't carve the pattern because he does not have the 3D software. My question is when we make patterns with the new 3D software are the only people that can carve our designs are the people that buy the 3D software?

Jim

lawrence
07-21-2012, 12:35 PM
If you have the stl importer, you can export the pattern as an STL, import it and then save it as a pattern. This way, the software doesn't see it as a part of the 3d software pattern, but as a normal pattern. I tried/tested this method here

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21073-another-one-to-test-3d-designer-w-centerline

Lawrence

eelamb
07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Better yet select all on the pattern you made, create a group, then click the group and select make pattern. This creates a pattern (PTN) of what you made, and can be opened by anyone running the latest version without owning the 3d suite.

If you snd anyone the MPC file of the pattern they can not carve it.

lawrence
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
well that is certainly simpler :)

Will that work for centerline text too or do I still need to make the STL

Lawrence

Nighthawk12
07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't have stl importer, the make pattern button does not light up after grouping them togather. Do you need stl importer to make this function work?

Thanks

lawrence
07-21-2012, 02:21 PM
no you don't need it-- just group the items, select the "group" button on the left hand carving list, then right click on the "group" listing and click "make pattern"

Lawrence

eelamb
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I do not believe it will work for cneterline or conforming vectors, since these are vectors. The make pattern creates a raster carve, so you do not get a choice of bit to use.

Nighthawk12
07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi guys I made a pattern out of it saved it as a ptn in the pattern list then opened it back up and saved it as a mpc and sent that to my freind and it still tells him he has to buy the 3D software to carve the pattern. What am I doing wrong?

Nighthawk12
07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks Guys It's working now

lawrence
07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
awesome, happy we could help / confuse ;)

Seriously though, we're all learning as we go here, hope we helped
Lawrence

chebytrk
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
ok... So sending out a ptn is ok for a non 3d owner. Now... Since a ptn can not be changed after it is sent out, then can a mpw be made from the ptn and send that out whereby the reciever CAN change it? Never done that so I'm Just wondering...

AskBud
07-22-2012, 03:10 AM
ok... So sending out a ptn is ok for a non 3d owner. Now... Since a ptn can not be changed after it is sent out, then can a mpw be made from the ptn and send that out whereby the reciever CAN change it? Never done that so I'm Just wondering...YES, you may, If you own the original PTN.
Bring up the PTN in pattern Editor (PE) and SAVE-AS a MPW file. It may then be modified using PE, placed on a design and some shape changes may me accomplished there.
It should be able to be altered the same way as you would do, as if they owned the PTN. There have been times when I have assisted a member edit their PTN, while on the phone, by walking them through the alteration process (they send me the MPW file so I can have their original and we each do the same task). This method of instruction allows them learn the process, rather than just handing them the modified product.
AskBud

cestout
07-22-2012, 07:26 PM
I would think that if you created a pattern using the new software it could be run by even older versions of Designer. The program should not care how you created the pattern, it is just a pattern. If that is not the case, then Bud and I and the other vendors are in for problems because carvers with older software won't be able to use the new patterns or projects we create.
Clint

AskBud
07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I would think that if you created a pattern using the new software it could be run by even older versions of Designer. The program should not care how you created the pattern, it is just a pattern. If that is not the case, then Bud and I and the other vendors are in for problems because carvers with older software won't be able to use the new patterns or projects we create.
ClintI believe the patterns submitted to the Pattern Depot (Store) are compatible for all members.
However, on Saturday, I altered a MPC with a free pattern from the forum for another user to carve (it had nothing to do with 2D or 3D nor Conforming Vectors). He was not able to load his card, as he got an error message that the MPC was produced with a higher software version. He still had 1.182. I had the member update to 1.184, and the MPC was able to be used.

The lesson learned, is that when another member gets this error, cross check to see what version he/she is using.
AskBud