PDA

View Full Version : It all started with a hot flex shaft...

badbert
07-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I bought Bucky used. So I did not know anything about CNC routers. I thought those rumbly growly noises were normal when moving the trucks. I thought that sticky spot was normal. The other day I was routing a board and noticed that the flex shaft was getting super hot! So I aborted and decided to remove and Lube it for the first time... It was stuck pretty hard in the QC so I gave it a yank. I cleaned lubed and wiped it down reassembled it restarted the carve. Z-Stall error. I moved the z-truck only to find that the sticky spot had become much worse. There must of been teeth broken off already, and when I yanked I broke a few more... On the Z gear/pulley. So I ordered two @ $6 a piece. While chatting with Floyd he told me to check the Z motor screws... They were loose! So I remembered that the Y truck had a sticky spot as well... it had two teeth missing too AND the motor was loose too! So I replaced both pulleys. While I had the Z-truck off, the rails fell down under the belts. So I disassembled the X drive too. The rails were "Gritty", and I noticed that the bearing surfaces that ride on the rails, had a brownish tint to them. RUST! That was why the Flex was stuck, and both the z and y rails were rusty. So I used some 000 steel wool, and some Mother's Carnuba wax. Polished them up and reassembled. After giving the machine a thorough cleaning.

SO the point to this story, is anyone who has experience, would have known something was wrong with the "Gritty" movements. I do now. And if your Z and X movements are not smooth and silky, you have a problem. I can't get over how smooth they all move now! Without this site I would never had the courage to tackle it, but with the wealth of knowledge here, it was quick and painless! Thank you to everyone who contributes to this site!

And thanks to Floyd for giving me the heads up, on the loose motors, and using Blue loc-tite to re-secure them!

fwharris
07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Bert,

Great heads up for all and great write up on your whole process. You are very correct on the SMOOTH Y and Z movement and if it is not then it is time for a good clean up and lube.

So what are you making saw dust out of???

Deolman
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
badbert, that was a great heads up that you have posted. I am sure that quite a few members will benefit from your post. I also believe you can feel a great sense of accomplishment with the work you have done.

ladjr
07-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks badbert for the heads up on the smooth movement

badbert
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
I have been working on a nameplate for my Pastor. I imported an PNG from nipic.com of the last supper. Cleaned it up and edited it.54808 The board had a hidden crack though and the lettering chipped out... BUT the good news is I found that Bud has a MUCH better version! https://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=22606&cat=0&page=1 SO I get to carve it over with Bud's pattern. Every dark cloud has a silver lining!

ladjr
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I can't see the crack. It looks great to me. Nice Idea for your Pastor

fwharris
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Is that the image you cleaned up?

Digitalwoodshop
07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Good Job !!!!

Find the 250 Hour Maintenance Thread I started about 4 weeks ago... I stripped my Z Gear Box Gear too.....

I bet you need to look at the Cut Motor Brushes before you snap a bit... And the Y Gear Box Bearings.... Read my posting.... and what others have posted...

I wish it was a useful sticky.... on top.

AL

badbert
07-18-2012, 01:59 AM
That is Designers version... mine didn't come out so well.... Here is the image I cleaned up 54810

badbert
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
So how much noise does a dry flex cable make... alot. Bucky was the subject of dinner conversation tonight. The whole family (all 4 generations) agree. Bucky has gotten quieter since I cleaned and lubed it!