PDA

View Full Version : scroll cutting

Wilbur
07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
I started doing some of this back about 4 yr ago and got to where I could not see well enough to work on PC. In the past 6 months I am back and just can not recall how to use the 1/16 bit and program the CW to follow the lines of scrollsaw pattern.
Any help would be more than welcome.

Thanks
Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Not sure if the DXF or whatever it is called will convert your art to Vector Lines. I did some manual tracing of Xmas stuff trying to make it work...

A few tips...

1. The Feed Rate is usually pretty fast and can cause problems. One fix is to design in 1/16th end mill then select all and change the bit to 1/4 inch ball nose. Then install a 1/16th bit for the actual cutting. This lie to the machine makes it cut slow. Normally it would cut in 2 speeds... Slow on turns and TOO FAST on long areas....

2. All the little pieces will get under the rollers.... The Fix is to set your depth to slightly less than the actual thickness and then sand off the back releasing all the parts...

I am sure others will chime in...

A font called Key Chain will work for the CW too... And the Skin on the bottom is the way to make it work.... Handy for Craft Shows..

Good Luck,

AL

Wilbur
07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks AL.
I use to do some cuts but had just got started and had to stop.
Hard to recall what I had done to start scroll cuting.
Have a machine in the shop now for repair. Don't know just how long that will take. It has been 4 weeks now and they say they are waiting on parts.
Good thing I have two.
I got two Compucarves with warranty through 2015. Looks like Sears don't sell them any more. May be the reason it is taking so long.
Thanks for the help.

Wilbur

SteveEJ
07-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Wilbur,
One thing I did recently is to use a sled. I don't know if it will work for you or not. Like Al said, small pieces can cause problems.

I was cutting out letters in 1/8" plywood so I built a simple sled and watched each piece being cut. I would 'Pause' the machine by pressing Stop once and remove the loose pieces then resume it. Since I had several duplicates to make it was a very easy and quick way to cut them.

There are several ways to 'skin the cat'..

Have fun!

Wilbur
07-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks Steve.

I did use a sled and still have it. I was cutting 1/4" when I started.

I can't remember how to program the machine to make it follow the scroll lines like center line does. The center line only works with fonts.

I can use the carving bit but it takes so long when it scans back an forth across the board like normal cutting. When following the line like the center line does and using the 1/16" cutting bit it runs right on through.

I think I remember using some masking tape on the back of the board to hold the cut peaces in place so they did not flop out of place.

It was working fine back then. I just can't remember what I did.

It must not have been too hard or I would have never got as for as I did and of course I don't have my notes any more.

I really have forgotten a lot not being on the board.

Wilbur