PDA

View Full Version : cut motor want turn

myshop1044
07-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I had a y stall about 2 weeks ago. I haven't used my machine since.
today I started a project and everything went find(so I thought).
When I loaded the carving I noitced it did not spin the bit.
When it start to carve it moved in the "Y" direction but would
not spin the bit.
I just finish the X,Y and Z test, they went fine, then tested cut motor as per manual instructions, nothing
I replaced the cut motor sw. tied the cut motor test again , nothing.
I removed the head, checked the brushes, they are fine, only a few months old.
check for loose wiring, nothing. put the head back ran cut motor test again, nothing.
So this is where I am now.
any help would be great.
Perry B.

fwharris
07-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Perry,

Most likely cause is the X termination board. Did you notice a slight humming sound (you have to get real close to listen) when the bit was suppose to be spinning? The couple of times that I've run into this I was able to hear this sound.

If you have a second machine you can swap out the X termination board to verify..

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes, the X Termination board is the first choice... The Q1 Transistor is the Electronic On Off Switch and the little 6 pin chips are the Optical Couplers... Computer turns on the LED Light and the Photo Transistor inside the 6 pin Optical Coupler turns on the Transistor.

The C1 Capacitor has been know to SNAP OFF one lead....

And the Crimp connectors of the push on wire connectors of the Cut Motor have been known to need re Crimping....

The Cut Motors have been known to have a wire either get CUT by a moving part OR just break off inside the motor....

You have already checked the Brushes.... but a Thump of a Screwdriver handle has free up a sticking short brush....

You already changed the Cut Motor Right side Switch.... Do you hear it Click.... In 2007 I had a clear cover plastic tang snap off.... Hence no Cut Motor....

The X Drive Computer Signal comes through the same wire to the X Termination Board so we know it is connected.....

Most likely.... C1.... Of my 4 machines, 3 broke the C1's in the early years when I let the QC get too worn and vibrated before replacement.

Let us know....

AL

myshop1044
07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for info fellows, I beat the motor around the brushes with a 5 lb hammer and that didn't
work. I found the little red (thing a ma gig) and all his legs are good ,nothing broke.
I rechecked the connections to the motor, to cut motor sw too, nothing.
So I guess this is one for LHR Man!!!! not wanting to make a trip to Houston.
unless we can come up with something else.
Thanks again fellows.

fwharris
07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Perry,

Got 2 machines, right? Easy swap, take the X board from your good unit and put it in the down one. A 15-20 minute job to verify that it is the X board and save yourself a trip to Houston. You can also swap cut motors...

chief2007
07-14-2012, 04:58 PM
It's the x termination board, I had one go bad, could find nothing physically wrong that I could find, I changed the board and was carving once again

fwharris
07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
It's the x termination board, I had one go bad, could find nothing physically wrong that I could find, I changed the board and was carving once again

Steve,
I think we are all in agreement on the X board, we just need to convince Perry!! ;) Thanks for sharing!

myshop1044
07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
ok fellows I will swap out the X board tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks for the concern. This is what the forum is all about.

myshop1044
07-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I swaped the x board from the newest mahine and nothing happen.
I put it in back in the newest machine and test the newest every worked fine.
I remove the motor again lifted the top cover of the motor
and the top brush seem to frozen in place and plug for the brush was also
frozen to the casing of the motor.
does any body have the flie from sears where you can order parts, I want to order just the top
of the motor casing and some brushes too.
I tried to contact LHR but the phones were busy.
any help would be great.

Perry B.

fwharris
07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Engraving-tool-Parts/Model-133217540/0247/0716000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=133217540