PDA

View Full Version : Made in China

wlkjr
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I didn't realize these machines were made in China. Imagine my disappointment, especially when out of the box a bolt falls out on the table. One side of a feed table was loose and the hex head shoulder bolt is stripped. Hope this is not an omen of things to come. Brand new machine straight out of the box, not even plugged in yet.

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Welcome!!!! WE are here to HELP as you know.... Work through the issues and be sure to read the Tips and Tricks for good stuff...

Sorry about the problems out of the box.... If you can't fix it, contact LHR.

I am glad to see you have been reading for a while and will go into this as a TEAM.... Good Job !!!!

From a earlier post of yours.....
"After lurking since 2009, I have placed an order for a new CW. My wife is good with software and she is more excited than I am. A special thanks to Bruce Kinney for allowing me into his shop for a..."

WE are here to help you the best we can. To answer your very first post, "YES, it is worth it.....". This little Hobby Machine can do some fantastic stuff....

Good Luck,

AL

jiml
07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I wasn't too happy with that either. I think some of the problems that are blamed on operator error are from poor quality control in China. I don't think that the recipe for the Cadbury candies included Melamine or toys were spec'd out with lead.

TerryT
07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I wasn't too happy with that either. I think some of the problems that are blamed on operator error are from poor quality control in China. I don't think that the recipe for the Cadbury candies included Melamine or toys were spec'd out with lead.

WHAT!! Please tell me you are not talking about my Cadbury eggs?!? I thought Cadbury was British. I don't think I could give them up even knowing they had a problem.... melamine? Are you sure? Damn, can't even trust the easter bunny. LOL

ladjr
07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
And what would you expect from a guy who runs around in a bunny suit.

lawrence
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
The quality of goods has less to do with the country of origin and more to do with the level of quality control and allowed tolerances out of a factory. The sawstop, for example, is made in Taiwan... and I really had a good look-over of one and it was as high a quality product as you will see coming off of any US factory floor--

good design + high quality materials + tight tolerances + good QC = good product

This level of work also means a higher price. Every company works to find a workable medium of quality versus cost ... I personally think that LHR has done a good job at finding this medium.

Lawrence

ps- I shudder to think of how much it would cost to produce the CW in the USA... unfortunate but true... my guess is that it would no longer be anywhere close to the price it is now.
LDR

Ton80
07-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Factories in China ( or anywhere ) can churn out crap filled with lead paint or works of art like the iPad. It really comes down to what the company outsourcing the product is willing to take responsibility for when it comes to overseeing QC. It just happens that China does tend to churn out some low quality products but it's only because some company looking to capitalize on the cheap labor allows it to happen.

fspearman1
07-13-2012, 08:22 AM
In my opinion there is no quality control at LHR. The statement, and I paraphrase, "don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box. I would also think that the purpose of the forum would be for techniques on how to use the machine, not how to repair it.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM
In my opinion there is no quality control at LHR. The statement, and I paraphrase, "don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box. I would also think that the purpose of the forum would be for techniques on how to use the machine, not how to repair it.

Frank, did you ever get your machine fixed?

lawrence
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
"don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box.

that doesn't mean it wasn't damaged in shipping man- the trip to our houses is probably the most dramatic thing our machines go though in their working lifetimes-

PM sent,

Lawrence

fspearman1
07-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Frank, did you ever get your machine fixed?

After much appreciated help from another member of this forum LHR did replace the controller and defective card. Very shortly after I tried to use the machine and got a message to put in the unlock code. The machine would not accept that. The people at LHR sent me a program that I had to load on the card and reset all the code in the machine. Now each time I use the machine I have to do that step. Honestly, I have not used the machine much. I am wary if it will complete any projects for me before it fails again. I have not even tried to market what I can do with the machine for fear that it won't work and I'll have a customer that would not use me again. When it does fail again watch this space and you will probably get a good deal on the machine.

An FYI, I have Ringneckbklues DC and use a dedicated circuit with a surge suppressor and I have run a ground wire from the DC metal to a cold water pipe since ANY amount of static will apparently fry the board.

I got this machine to embellish the furniture that I make. I have a fully furnished wood shop and I build custom pieces.

RMarkey
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual.

This is 100% untrue. Every machine is unboxed and tested.

The people at LHR sent me a program that I had to load on the card and reset all the code in the machine. Now each time I use the machine I have to do that step.

No, you don't. You run that card once, which re-programs the controller, then you'll never have to run it again. Once you unlock your machine, it stays unlocked. That is explained in the instructions that are sent with the special restore builds.

fspearman1
07-13-2012, 09:56 AM
This is 100% untrue. Every machine is unboxed and tested.

No, you don't. You run that card once, which re-programs the controller, then you'll never have to run it again. Once you unlock your machine, it stays unlocked. That is explained in the instructions that are sent with the special restore builds.

Yeah, OK.. So I'm and idiot I guess. I just dream this stuff up. This will be the LAST time I post here and I will NEVER recommend one of these machines to anyone.

liquidguitars
07-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah, OK.. So I'm and idiot I guess. I just dream this stuff up. This will be the LAST time I post here and I will NEVER recommend one of these machines to anyone.

I sorry your having a hard time with your machine.

Mandolin "Texas tea" made on my Carvewright.

WoodenWizard
07-13-2012, 10:18 AM

I am sure you never had any intentions of recommending the machine to anyone even before Firmlord replied. Every chance you have had to comment about others issue has affirmed that. I think the point was that if you are having to reprogram again each time, maybe you have another issue and need to get that worked out. I personally get the feeling you will never be happy. As someone who works in the electronics field and repaired many a complicated piece of equipment I can say without a doubt that I have never made an install error or left a switch in the wrong position(NOT!!!). Looked at the switch a thousand times to verify and still overlooked it. Humans are not infalable but an unwillingness to work through the problems or admitt you may have made an error will never get you what you want. Have a good life and I am sure someone else will enjoy your machine in the near future.

Dave
-To the other folks on this forum I am sorry for the rant.

chebytrk
07-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, it's all good. Those of us that know how to use the machine and know how to ask for help are doing just fine and will continue to do just fine. So all this turned out this way for a reason and I'm OK with that. We all just keep on "keeping on"....... 'Nuff Said'

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
"Yeah, OK.. So I'm and idiot I guess. I just dream this stuff up. This will be the LAST time I post here and I will NEVER recommend one of these machines to anyone. "

Was waiting to see some of your projects showing your skill in woodworking and furniture making. When I looked at your 60 some posts, 3/4 were kicking the junk yard dog because you were not happy about "something" or adding a "dig" to someone's comment. ZERO Helpful posts or positive advice and 25 percent asking for HELP.

Like they say in business... One Happy Customer will tell 10 people... One Un Happy Customer will tell 1000.... In your case about 40 posts of your 62 posts.

You will be missed.

I also suggest BANNING this member for DISRESPECT (Post 13) and closing this thread, it's just a "Kicking the Junk Yard Dog (China)"... Not what the Forum is for and not helpful to anyone. 62 Post and NOT one single helpful thing... :roll::roll::roll:

AL

ladjr
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM

I'm sorry to hear you are giving up because you will miss out on a lot of great carving. Hang in there you will find it is worth it.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
"Yeah, OK.. So I'm and idiot I guess. I just dream this stuff up. This will be the LAST time I post here and I will NEVER recommend one of these machines to anyone. "

Was waiting to see some of your projects showing your skill in woodworking and furniture making. When I looked at your 60 some posts, 3/4 were kicking the junk yard dog because you were not happy about "something" or adding a "dig" to someone's comment. ZERO Helpful posts or positive advice and 25 percent asking for HELP.

Like they say in business... One Happy Customer will tell 10 people... One Un Happy Customer will tell 1000.... In your case about 40 posts of your 62 posts.

You will be missed.

I also suggest BANNING this member for DISRESPECT (Post 13) and closing this thread, it's just a "Kicking the Junk Yard Dog (China)"... Not what the Forum is for and not helpful to anyone. 62 Post and NOT one single helpful thing... :roll::roll::roll:

AL

Al, usually I agree with everything you say. I do, however, respectfully disagree on this issure. There are a lot of good, informative posts from Lawrence, Ton80 and others in this thread, including my poor attempt at humor (sorry I inherited my british scense of humor). I think most of us can survive the kicking and we will be better for it. Newbies can get the true picture and make better decisions on whether or not to buy a Carvewright. That being said, constant "sniveling" can grate on the nervse. Just my opinion, doesn't mean Connie or someone else won't close it and take the other actions you mentioned.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I just thought I would offer a counter point to what frank had to say.

I have had my first machine since June 2007. I never had to send it in for repair. I did get a little huffy when I broke some bits once, because I didn't know the 7 inch rule at the time. I'm still not totally happy that doing cut outs is a little risky, but it "ain't no thang", my band saw is quicker and easier anyway. I did do the upgrades for the Z and a few others. I replaced the QC (with another QC after about 300 or 400 hours ( I don't really remember so just guessing) and a few years later I'm still using it. Everything else has just been maintenance as far as I can remember. Replaced cutmotor brushes when they wore out. Roller bearings a couple of times and after, at what I'm guessing, about 1400 to 1500 hours of carving I just had to replace the Y timing belt. All of the internal bias belts finally broke and the belt would stretch out like a rubber band.

Machine #2, I acquired used. If you are interested you can read "My Friend Tony" in the memorium? forum. Anyway, in a year and about 1000 hrs (again a guess because the odometer only shows 0's) I have only replaced the cut motor brushes. Yes, I know. But my maintenance schedule is "damn I should have replaced that before it broke".

My carvewright related business is doing well. I'm thinking of slowing down as it is almost getting to be more like work. My wife makes me do crappy stuff like book keeping s*&t. What a way to spoil your fun! Year to date is 93 percent over last year, roughly 60 percent profit on my carved signs, boards and other carved work sold on both my websites and at craft shows, etc.
I'm a happy camper.

lawrence
07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I've seen Frank's work- and it is beautiful. In the interest of full disclosure I was the advocate that helped advise him through his purchase and initial setup. I wish things had turned out for the better.

Frank, I look forward to continuing to see your stuff over on the WWA forum and am sorry your experience has not been a good one. Unfortunately your experience has not been good and you obviously aren't getting any joy out of it.... that's unfortunate and I understand why you would want to step away. Please let us know via pm's if we can help in any way to get you back up and carving (that is why I'm putting this here instead of a PM)

As always,
V/respectfully

Lawrence

liquidguitars
07-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Well I think he is a little pissed off and letting off some steam, i get the impression he a little older than most of the users here...

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Al, usually I agree with everything you say. I do, however, respectfully disagree on this issure. There are a lot of good, informative posts from Lawrence, Ton80 and others in this thread, including my poor attempt at humor (sorry I inherited my british scense of humor). I think most of us can survive the kicking and we will be better for it. Newbies can get the true picture and make better decisions on whether or not to buy a Carvewright. That being said, constant "sniveling" can grate on the nervse. Just my opinion, doesn't mean Connie or someone else won't close it and take the other actions you mentioned.

Point well taken.... I am a little "Grumpy" today... AND don't always say the Correct Thing.... My post was directed at "fspearman1" and not the first poster... I feel bad for the first poster as a out of the box issue can sure make the first impression go down hill fast. He DID come here for HELP... And that is a GOOD THING....

I did learn something that 100% of the machines are Cut Tested. I had mistakenly believed it was a percentage of the shipment.

Good to know.

And I was a little hard on "fspearman1".....

I can't un spill the milk... Just learn from it..... And be a little more reserved.... and NOT be part of the Problem but part of the SOLUTION...

Grumpy AL

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Well guys, I didn't mean to start a war. It was more of a casual comment. But after just now calling LHR I can imagine how real problems might have been handled. Thinking they might just send me a new 25 cent bolt that was stripped, I was requested to take pictures and email them and they would be forwarded to the shop. Does put a little damper on things. And for the record, I'm a grumpy ole 61. So what happens if I don't own a digital camera?

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Well guys, I didn't mean to start a war. It was more of a casual comment. But after just now calling LHR I can imagine how real problems might have been handled. Thinking they might just send me a new 25 cent bolt that was stripped, I was requested to take pictures and email them and they would be forwarded to the shop. Does put a little damper on things. And for the record, I'm a grumpy ole 61. So what happens if I don't own a digital camera?

We wish you luck with the machine.... As for the Camera..... Ask someone to help you.... Kids all have cameras... and would love to HELP... "WOW... This machine is pretty COOL"....

AL

TerryT
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM

One of the big reasons we are here is to help other users, like you, that are having problems. Most of the time someone on this forum will solve the problem for you but if not we can point you in the right direction or at the very least sympathize with you. Sometimes there are things that just won't get worked out. It's not your fault and please don't hesitate to ask questions or say what's on your mind (well you know what I mean).

TerryT
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Point well taken.... I am a little "Grumpy" today... AND don't always say the Correct Thing.... My post was directed at "fspearman1" and not the first poster... I feel bad for the first poster as a out of the box issue can sure make the first impression go down hill fast. He DID come here for HELP... And that is a GOOD THING....

I did learn something that 100% of the machines are Cut Tested. I had mistakenly believed it was a percentage of the shipment.

Good to know.

And I was a little hard on "fspearman1".....

I can't un spill the milk... Just learn from it..... And be a little more reserved.... and NOT be part of the Problem but part of the SOLUTION...

Grumpy AL

Dear GA,
I don't think you need to apologize for anything. Sometimes we all just gotta say what's on our minds. I also don't think you need to change anything, especially yourself. You help more folks here than anyone else and you have a right to be a little grumpy.

THW, who the he{{ said us old folks are grumpy? HUH, who the heck was it??? DO I LOOK GRUMPY TO YOU???? Where the heck do you get off calling me gru.... hehehe.

badbert
07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Well, while we are all ranting! I WANT THE NEW DESIGNER SUITES FOR FREE!!! LOL My broke a$$ can't afford the $400. And the fact that any MPC made with the new suite, is gonna leave me out in the cold. I can foresee a day when all patterns will be made using the new suite, and we will be forced to purchase them! Ok Rant over! I enjoy my machine, I enjoy using the software, and I really enjoy this forum! I received my new Z-Pulley gears today, I am reassembling Bucky! And i will be carving again soon! And none too soon 'cause I need my sawdust fix!

And NO I do not expect to get the updates for free! I paid for PS CS5 when I had the money, and I damn sure don't expect Adobe to give me CS6! It's all good!

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok, to their credit, they responded to my email promptly and gave me a confirmation that my bolt is on the way. It's not anything that will hold up progress but something that needs replacing. I think the bolts are about 1/8" too short. Not enough threads can grab the nut.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Ok, to their credit, they responded to my email promptly and gave me a confirmation that my bolt is on the way. It's not anything that will hold up progress but something that needs replacing. I think the bolts are about 1/8" too short. Not enough threads can grab the nut.
Glad to hear it is working out. Stuff like that can be frustrating but shouldn't spoil the fun. I hope you enjoy your machine for a long, long time.

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear it is working out. Stuff like that can be frustrating but shouldn't spoil the fun. I hope you enjoy your machine for a long, long time.
Just got it late Wed. night and haven't even turned it on. With a family death and my junky little handyman job, I've been a little busy the last few days. At least my shop is air conditioned and comfortable in these 90 degree and high humidity days.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your family. Boy do I know how that feels. My shop has air also, we have been flirting with 100 degree days. I was supposed to do a 3 day festival and craft show this weekend but we also had a family emergency (actually two at last count). But I did get a lot of stuff made for the next fair.

You will enjoy using your machine. It's one of those things that.. the more you learn the more fun so you try more, learn more and have even MORE fun.

mtylerfl
07-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I can't help but feel badly for a CW owner when things don't seem to go as smoothly as we all hope it would. With the help of LHR and the collective members of this forum, we can usually get a user on track and enjoying his/her machine. Our personalities differ, and we all have our own way of handling disappointment or any bumps in the road. I'm going to try to do better at understanding where a person is comin' from. If a user has had less than an enjoyable experience owning a CW machine, I know we all want to turn that around as quickly as possible.

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie.

eelamb
07-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Not Michael, but it sounds like the 7" rule, and scale to size. I always make sure the board is 7+" longer than the board in designer, and the width is always a little wider than the board in designer. Then always choose NO to any scaling question. Other will give you more details I am sure.
If your board is 10 x 8 in designer make the actual board 17 plus. I like to make it at least 7.5 or 8" longer. On the width, measuring it with a tape may give you say 8" width, but the machine may read it as 7.9 or 8.1. Thus giving it extra helps eliminate the load new board issue, and as I said always tell it no to any scaling.

AskBud
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie.This manual (pages 28 & 29) shows part of the workpiece preparation.
I think you have not mastered the (+) 7 inch rule. If you reply to Stay-under-rollers, the unit expects to see a board at least 7" longer than your design board. If it does not, it will ask if you wish to "Scale to the board". if you select to do so, the machine will change the carve accordingly. If you do not wish to scale down your project, you will need to use a different board for this MPC (project).
There is more, but I'll leave that for another time.

Manual link: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual_A-B_SN.pdf

ladjr
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie.

What were your Demsions. Did the machine state the board measure _____________ and adjust the size down.

TerryT
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm sure Michael will respond also but my first guess is your board (real) was not 7 inches longer than the virtual board. The 7 inches is the distance between rollers. THEN you probably said yes when the machine asked if you wanted to stay under the rollers so the machine scaled down your pattern so it could keep the board within the 7 inches between rollers.

Make your board 7 inches longer than what is in designer and say No to staying under the rollers.

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Mastered the 7" rule. Heck this was my first so I ain't mastered anything:rolleyes:. Guess that was my problem, my board wasn't 7 inches longer than the project dimensions.

AskBud
07-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Mastered the 7" rule. Heck this was my first so I ain't mastered anything:rolleyes:. Guess that was my problem, my board wasn't 7 inches longer than the project dimensions.Any time your machine asks or tells you something,step back and think about the message/selection before you continue. Do not push the button until you are sure!
AskBud

fwharris
07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
You will also get the scale message if you board is not wider that your design board..

AskBud
07-13-2012, 09:51 PM
You will also get the scale message if you board is not wider that your design board..OR, if the board is both wider and longer than the design board! There are, however, instances where Scaling is not allowed. But let's keep that for another time. let's allow this new member to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
AskBud

fwharris
07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
OR, if the board is both wider and longer than the design board! There are, however, instances where Scaling is not allowed. But let's keep that for another time. let's allow this new member to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
AskBud

Whats up with that! Yes keep it for another time. What I was informing WLKJR of was based on his original question

"OK, Michael, here's your chance. I got this thing up and running(amazing for me). I did a simple carve on a piece of scrap birch plywood, just our name, The Knights. It came out ok but the size was much smaller than the carve dimensions on the program. Reckon what I did wrong? Must have punched something in wrong when setting it up in the machine. This was the very first carve so I'm a complete newbie."

Scaling will be called for if the actual carve board is narrower than the design board. This is one bite/step a new user needs to be aware of and often one of the beginner mistakes. It was not stated if he "stayed under the rollers" or not so we can only assume it was a length scaling issue

wlkjr
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Whats up with that!
Baby steps and one bite at a time.

liquidguitars
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
OR, if the board is both wider and longer than the design board!

i never get that... i use "keep the same"

mtylerfl
07-14-2012, 06:38 AM

Oh goodie! This is an easy one! Just read my Tips & Tricks for the scoop on Scaling...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

wlkjr
07-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh goodie! This is an easy one! Just read my Tips & Tricks for the scoop on Scaling...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

I did and I am guilty. Now I can move on to another mistake!:eek: Thanks guys. You've got your hands full.

thebytedoc
07-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Just a quick side note, I thought this thread was dead at post #17...I was very sad to see the turn it had taken, as I am a bit of a newbie too. I have met many of you at the conference and thoroughly enjoy this forum and the people. So to see the humility and grace of many and the genuine concern to help is just awesome and I am thrilled to see that the original poster is making progress. My rose colored glasses are still working ;). Thanks folks!

ladjr
07-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Just a quick side note, I thought this thread was dead at post #17...I was very sad to see the turn it had taken, as I am a bit of a newbie too. I have met many of you at the conference and thoroughly enjoy this forum and the people. So to see the humility and grace of many and the genuine concern to help is just awesome and I am thrilled to see that the original poster is making progress. My rose colored glasses are still working ;). Thanks folks!

I agree, that is what is great able this forum. Every helps.

jaroot
07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Man he must be ancient then! :)

Well I think he is a little pissed off and letting off some steam, i get the impression he a little older than most of the users here...

jaroot
07-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I still have to do that and I still make the wrong choice from time to time and I've got several hundred hours on our machine. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks!

Any time your machine asks or tells you something,step back and think about the message/selection before you continue. Do not push the button until you are sure!
AskBud

Ton80
07-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Ha, every once in a while my machine will present me with some new question that will make me pause and run to the forums and use the "search" function...

TerryT
07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I hate to admit this but... When I was a brand new carver, I designed a project and put the card in the machine.... started it up and the first thing is said was "Select vector bit".

I couldn't find a vector bit. Even if I could, which one do I select?? I had the carving bit and cutting bit but no vector bit. Dumb machine, I thought it should know which bit to use, why did I have to select it!! Slowed me down for a while.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Yes, I had my "GRUMPY" Hat on that day..... I TOO am glad to see all the Positive Progress this new user has made.....

When I was new I Re named a Project and changed the design to all V Text Clock and Cut Path. I loaded the project on the card then to the machine and the first thing it asked for was the "Carving Bit".... I Ignored the machine asking for the BACK of the board.... Was Stumped... Why was it asking for the Carving Bit... NO Carving Bit used in the design... Just V Text and a Cut Path... Posted the MPC and asked for HELP Here.... The REPLY.... Look at the "Back of the Board"..... A Carve Region for a Clock Insert..... I had ignored the "Back of Board"..... So we all leaned the same way..... And Tips and Tricks is that same knowledge we all had to learn..... Knowing from the Manual and Tips and Tricks that when you crank up the head all the way, that is might just click over and over and NOT lower.... Knowing this on a Sunday Afternoon when you want to start a project is PRICELESS..... Knowing what to DO to Fix IT...

Grumpy AL

badbert
07-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Bucky was in the "can't lower the head mode" when I got it! But I had read so much here that I fixed it with out giving it a second thought...

Capt Bruce
07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Wally,

I'll be in touch today. Have been on the road for FEMA this week and I hope I have not missed a call from you as I stand behind this sale and will make it right for you. Did not see this when you posted and I'm sorry this came up as I know you were excited to get carving.

wlkjr
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Wally,

I'll be in touch today. Have been on the road for FEMA this week and I hope I have not missed a call from you as I stand behind this sale and will make it right for you. Did not see this when you posted and I'm sorry this came up as I know you were excited to get carving.
Replied to you email, Bruce. Got my DC Insert installed and hooked up to the autoblast gate on the collector. Works great. Thanks to all who recommended it and to Floyd for a good design. Did a second attempt on the name sign on a carrier sled and it worked fine. Just practicing right now on scraps to hone some skills before I try good wook. All is well.
I just need a copy of CarveWright for Dummies if anyone has a spare they don't need anymore. There's a boatload of questions I have and some I don't know how to ask.

mtylerfl
07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
...All is well.
I just need a copy of CarveWright for Dummies if anyone has a spare they don't need anymore. There's a boatload of questions I have and some I don't know how to ask.

That's great news! Glad things are working well for you.

The Tips & Tricks series has covered nearly all the typical questions people have, along with what I think is clear instruction. It's a lot to read, I know, but well worth the time I think. Plus, AskBud has a ton of videos to watch that cover certain topics in more detail. And, don't foget the Software Manual...about 200 pages of great info there (searchable).

Between those resources and this forum (searchable with quotations around your search phrase), it's hard to imagine that any question you have has not already been answered in one form or another. Nevertheless, don't be shy about asking here on the forum if you just still can't find your answer! We're all eager to help!

AskBud
07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Click the "Download" link below to get to my AVI lessons, as well as a boat load of other links.
AskBud