PDA

View Full Version : What causes this?

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this. I just finished a welcome plaque and a few letters came out chipped. I have two sayings on this project one came out fine and the other had chips in it. Any suggestion will be appreciated . 54676

henry1
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this. I just finished a welcome plaque and a few letters came out chipped. I have two sayings on this project one came out fine and the other had chips in it. Any suggestion will be appreciated . 54676
Put up your mpc on here and will look at it some setting probely you did not do

AskBud
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
As henry says, we need to see the MPC.
However I have some things that might be considered, in this order.

1) Letters too much contrast.
1A) They are too deep for several reasons. Change the depth and height settings.
1B) Edit the text and increase the "Spacing" (I usually use a 10 or 12).
1C) You could, also, apply a draft.

2) The chips appear to follow the grain of the glue-up or the wood.
2A) Do the carve on different wood.

How is that for starters!
AskBud

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I'll put the mpc up in a couple hours when I get home. I'm on my phone right now and haven't figured out how to upload it.

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Thank you. I did a test carve on pine and had a problem with all the letters on the pine, this one is on cedar (red cedar I think) I changed the font and only the welcome had the problem.

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I stoped by the house real quick and hopefully got the mpc uploaded right. Thank you.

lawrence
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
you've got a couple of things going on there--

First, it'll help if you set the depth on your letters to the same depth as you carve region (.25)
Then you can set your height as high as you want it-- I don't recommend the whole quarter inch-- maybe about .15? Also, adding draft to the letters will help GREATLY with breakout.

Your Texas shape and lady (nice to see patterns that I put on here put to good use!) are nice, but the depths on them are a little funny as well. If you set the depth on the Texas at .2 and the lady at .2 and heights on both to 999 this looks better--

A little feather on your outside edge box carve region will also cut down on your carve time greatly.

I hope this helps, and here's my attempt for you if it'll help

Lawrence

AskBud
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I stoped by the house real quick and hopefully got the mpc uploaded right. Thank you.Your recess is a depth ot .250, and your text is .100 deep. Therefore, your text is actually .250 deep (it's trying to float, so it has to reach down the the .250 depth). If you just apply the (+) merge to that text, it may fix your problem. I would still increase the spacing.
AskBud

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you both for the advice. I can't wait to get back home and work on this. Fishing and relaxing.

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
A new bit too.... And if you used Draft then it cuts QUICK and SLOPPY..... Well... not really sloppy.... But if you select BEST it will slow down the cutting process. If you look at the grain of the wood, once the letters are cut, the wood looks flat saw and the grain lets go.... Hence the wood missing along the grain... That is why Pine worked better.... Tighter Grain....

And like everyone above has said.... Add DRAFT.... It makes a Volcano Look or side taper to the letters giving them more support. And DEPTH too.... The sign would look just as good at .1 deep ....

Good Luck,

AL

kcc2012
07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
While the kids are cleaning the fish I'm working on the pattern. I took and applied the changes to the project and played around with adding depth to various parts of the carve. Reading about it didn't make much sense but putting It into practice is really cool. Changing the depth on the Texas and Cowgirl it enhanced the detail on the cowgirl the elbow is no longer infused with the state.

Thank you for the State Pattern and the cowgirl. They are wonderful.

I just saved the corrected mpc and can't wait to carve it. I'm doing a scan of an 82 year old piece of art from our Church and will be reproducing it soon. About 7 more hours and it will be scanned in.

Time to work on a new design and put some of you advice into practice.

ladjr
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
What are you using to scan it for 7 hours

AskBud
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
What are you using to scan it for 7 hoursThe probe take a long time to scan, especially on best quality (which I always use). The size of the rectangle target you set up will determine the time. I'm currently scanning a target about 10 by 12, and the best setting tells me it will take about 9 hours.
AskBud

kcc2012
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm using the scanning probe on best quality. I've experimented with the other quality settings and was not happy with them at all. Best comes put great. The piece I was scanning last night is a 12 inch diameter circle with designs on top.
The Church I'm reproducing it for was established and built in 1794. It is a registered historical building and still an active Church.
The scan came out really great.

ladjr
07-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm using the scanning probe on best quality. I've experimented with the other quality settings and was not happy with them at all. Best comes put great. The piece I was scanning last night is a 12 inch diameter circle with designs on top.
The Church I'm reproducing it for was established and built in 1794. It is a registered historical building and still an active Church.
The scan came out really great.

Please be sure to post your carve. I haven't used the probe much. Thanks

kcc2012
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I will post pictures of it. I will be scanning a few more pieces for the Church before I start carving. They will be supplying the wood. As soon as it is done I'll post pictures.

ladjr
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks I can't wait to see them

SteveJ
07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a great challenge. Hope to see the carvings when you get to it!

kcc2012
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I finally ended up using oak for this project which ended up being the 4th attempt. The first two was my fault with the layout. The third one carved beautifully except an anomaly in the wood which showed up when I varnished it. So I broke down and spent the $30.00 on a two foot piece of oak and I'm happy with the results. I will finish it today extra coat of paint on the letters, some touch up work, and then put a few coats of polyurethane on it.
Thanks for all the help.

CNC Carver
07-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Very nice work.

Bigtyme
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Nicely done.....it should be well received.

easybuilt
07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Beautiful job Ambrose! Very well designed.

kcc2012
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you.

lawrence
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I missed the project pic-- that looks GREAT!

$30 is very pricy for a 2 foot piece of oak. Most lumberyards sell it for around $3-4 a bf and a 10 inch wide piece of 4/4 lumber 24 inches long is about 1.7 bf. I would recommend you google your local area to find some other sources as you'll save a lot in the long run. If you do not have the tools to dimension your lumber to square and flat, many lumberyards will joint/plane your stock for you for a nominal fee- sometimes even to size.

If you live in Texas (I loved my time in San Angelo) you are liable to find local sawyers that are even cheaper still.

I hope this helps,
Lawrence

kcc2012
08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Thank you Lawrence the info is helpful. I live on Kodiak Island and we only have one lumber yard which is overpriced. I'm flying to the Anchorage towards the end of the month for a Dr's appointment and hopefully I'll get to the lumber yard while there and hopefully set up something where I can get wood shipped.