PDA

View Full Version : New 2D software?????

Canemaker
07-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I reviewed and watched the tutorial that Michael did and was very impressed. However, after my purchase I am having mega trouble. I found a jpg file on google just like Joe did during the conference and imported it into designer using the import tracing image utility. Then after much hands on training I finally was able to successfully trace the image I chose. Then the problems start, what exactually can I do with the image? I tried to use the make a pattern and to my suprise I received a message that says "One or more patterns in the group you have selected is owned by another user." I don't know what happened since I traced an image that was free clipart. What is it talking about? Then I tried to set a carving depth and that doesn't work either. Help, Help, Help Thanks John

fwharris
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Did you "group" all of your traces? Grouping needs to be done before you can make it a pattern..

also maybe post your mpc...

ladjr
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Did you "group" all of your traces? Grouping needs to be done before you can make it a pattern..

also maybe post your mpc...

I had that problem and it was because there was no PTN in my MPC. You must have closed vectors.

TerryT
07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
I believe it is a bug in the new software. It always says "One or more patterns in the group you have selected is owned by another user." When what it really means, at least part of the time, is "one or more items cannot be used in a pattern" or what ever the exact wording is.

lawrence
07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Cool-- now when you are done making the trace- you can do a couple of things with it. You can right click it and "select bit" at which time you can add a bit and depth which will make it carve that. Another option is to select the vertexes (shouldn't be necessary to group really) and add a "carve region" to it (the carve region button) which means it will carve out that depth on your board.

To create an actual pattern, you need to do as Frank said and "group" the vectors-- with all of them selected, right click and choose "group" - then on the left side, click on the "group" label and then you can turn this into a pattern.

I highly recommend you watch Michael's video here
http://www.carvebuddy.com/Videos/CarveWright%202D%20Suite%20Drawing%20Tools%20Overv iew%20July%202012/CarveWright%202D%20Suite%20Drawing%20Tools%20Overv iew.html
and Bud's videos here
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm
As they helped me greatly-

Lawrence

mtylerfl
07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
There is more to this story....

Yes, the vectors as "just lines" cannot be made into a pattern, because they are "just lines"! So, there's nothing there yet that could be made into a pattern. In my example of the Rose drawing, I assigned Depth Profiles to the lines as a simple V-Carve project. A project of this kind would not normally be made into a pattern...it would be saved as a project (MPC). Of course you could do an entire layout such as a decorative plaque, or perhaps incorporate the V-carve as part of a box lid, or whatever. In any case, the vectors are still not going to be a "pattern" but just part of an overall layout.

However, let's say I make the V-carve on top of an oval or other shape (i.e., a zero-depth Carve Region or Dome or a Puffed shape). THEN you CAN Group the V-carve vectors AND the other shapes and make it all into a pattern. (So I'm clear...just "plain 'ol vectors" still can't be saved as a pattern, but if they have been assigned a bit or whatever along with interacting with another shape, then they can.)

BUT, Houston, we have a slight problem... During Beta testing this worked perfectly and we were all excited about the benefits this added for you...but, it is not working right now in the public release. I only discovered and reported this bug just yesterday, so the programmers are fixing that (along with a few other minor odds and ends), so it WILL work in the forthcoming update. The reason it got broken was another issue was addressed just prior to public release, and none of us on the test team realized that feature had inadvertently become disabled...I'm sorry, it simply didn't occur to any of us to test it again because it had been working just fine before.

Please bear with the programmers just a bit - they are working pretty much non-stop. I don't think they ever sleep and I've been quite impressed with their dedication. Now you know the rest of the story.:)

lawrence
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for letting us know-- I can only begin to comprehend the amount of code the programmers are working with to make these balls all juggle in the air at the same time. (Bravo guys)

I'm so far LOVING playing with the new software and hope to be releasing some new patterns very soon. (esp. since I have now become a vendor for carvewright.com patterns as well as a CNC art guild vendor)

Lawrence

ladjr
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the update because I have had this problem since I downloaded it.

mtylerfl
07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update because I have had this problem since I downloaded it.

Hi Leo,

I think the issue you were experiencing was a little different. As I recall, you were trying to make "plain vectors" into a pattern, which won't work regardless.

ladjr
07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi Leo,

I think the issue you were experiencing was a little different. As I recall, you were trying to make "plain vectors" into a pattern, which won't work regardless.

Yes but it was stating the patterns were owned by someone else, not that there were no patterns

mtylerfl
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes but it was stating the patterns were owned by someone else, not that there were no patterns

Oh yes...that error message is an error. :)

RMarkey
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
This has been fixed and will be available in the next release.

ladjr
07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
This has been fixed and will be available in the next release.

Any idea when the next release is coming.
Even with this problem there are a lot of great things that do work