PDA

View Full Version : cut a short path around a circle

Lefevermillworks
07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
As the title says, I have a project I'm working on. I have a circle with a lip around the edge. the lip is 3/4" thick. I need to make a "swipe?" across the inside of the lip to create a step down. I was able to do this with a router, I'm not sure if I can do this with the machine or not though. included is a picture of the routed one.

http://i.imgur.com/372rd.jpg

mtylerfl
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
You could draw a circle (or two or three spaced apart so the bit diameter is overlapping when run) and assign a straight bit to the paths at the appropriate depth (this would yield straight, vertical sidewalls). Or, you could assign two drill holes...each with an appropriate diameter and appropriate depth to yield your "step" (this would also yield straight, vertical sidewalls). .

Ton80
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
This is the way I did it which would be the first way Mike described how. I didn't mess with the inner drill outs but you could do those with the drill tool.

Not sure if you wanted to make the entire circle from scratch with the machine, which is basically how I figured you would do it. But reading your post again, it sounds like you may already have the circles made and just need to get the "lip" done... I suppose you could still do this but you better get one of the resident experts to help you out there. I would imagine you'll need to jig the circles up on a sled of some sort and a way to find the center.