PDA

View Full Version : Certain text wont carve

Oldtrainerguy
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Had an issue last night with a sign I was making for a customer. Lateset version of updates installed and have the C version of the machine.
All my text was perfect except one O that did not carve in the word International. Seven foot carve, both ends supported on rollers.
Only a quarter of the letter in question carved.

Ideas?

AskBud
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Had an issue last night with a sign I was making for a customer. Lateset version of updates installed and have the C version of the machine.
All my text was perfect except one O that did not carve in the word International. Seven foot carve, both ends supported on rollers.

Ideas?Please attach a photo of the carved board as well as the MPC. It will help us in giving you the best advice.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Sounds like something made it lift off the roller. Got photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldtrainerguy
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Here is the mpc and photos of the failed carve

lawrence
07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm just guessing here as I'm looking at your board (fairly wide, pine) Is your board completely square and parallel? A board lifting off the rollers can do some funny stuff.

I'm sure the experts will be along to give a better analysis, but I'll bet if you re-ran that project with a piece of known flat material (mdf for example) it would carve fine.

Lawrence

eelamb
07-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Looks to me like the O carved but the board did not move during the carve(first image). Is there a defect on the bottom of the board where the brass roller tracks, and the O is located? Or again a warped board in that area, causing the board to loose contact with the brass roller.

mtylerfl
07-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Ideas?

Hi,

So sorry about the failed carve. It's pretty clear from the photo that the board "stalled" in the x-axis during the carve at just that location, then "grabbed" the traction belts again, and continued on. That's why it carved the "O" as a skinny version of it - the machine continued carving, not realizing the board was not being fed through properly.

A seven foot board is challenging to carve because of the length and weight, but it can be done. Gravity can play havoc...pulling an end of a long board down, when the board is approaching either far end (the opposite end is hanging a long way out...gravity makes it a lever and is trying to lift the board off the traction belts and upwards towards the pressure rollers).

I would check the head pressure and double check the outfeed support to make sure it is holding the board flat and firmly against the traction belts. Test by placing the board at center of machine, then at both extreme ends (letting the far ends hang out as it will do during the actual running). It's a little tricky to position the height of the outfeed support...you will likely need to add two (or more) outfeed stands at both ends of the machine...spaced so that as the board feeds through, it rests level on the first stand then continues on (level) to the next stand. More support should solve the problem.

Oldtrainerguy
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Readjusted the rollers. Bought new board, scanned measurements with no problems. Ran beautifully. Will post pics when sign is completed and painted

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Good Job !!!!

I am a believer that a roll of masking tape is cheaper than a board foot of wood.... Masking Tape placed on the bottom of the board is NOT Necessary but it does give a level of assurance that the brass roller has something nice and soft to bite into making a rack and pinion.

There are many here who have been carving for years and NEVER used masking tape on the bottom of the board and get 100% Perfect Carvings.... SO it is NOT Required.... BUT... I makes for a insurance that the brass roller won't slip and gets you to check the bottom brass roller edge of the board for defects every time.

Good Job !!!!

AL

rcdages
07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I am 100% with you Al on the masking tape. TAPE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works.

lawrence
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
glad it carved up well for you.

Agreed on the tape... every single project I've ever done has had tape on it. Wood has never touched my brass roller

Lawrence