PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Ericnark
07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Hi All,

My name is Eric, I am new to carvewright. I am an intermediate instrument maker and novice carver. I make Lithuanian ethnic lap harps called Kanklės, they are also known as zithers or dulcimers. I can not wait to start using my carvewright machine and enhancing my harps with cool carvings. I am a little nervous about using the machine because it seems so easy to screw it up. Any good advice for a newbie? Thanks in advance for your help. Ericnark, Be well & laugh often!

badbert
07-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Welcome Eric! The best advice I can give you, since i am a newbie too, Is read, read, and then read some more! This forum is full of friendly people with expert advice. Chances are, any problem that arises, they have already overcome. Good luck with your machine! You are gonna love it!

ladjr
07-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Eric

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enkoy your carvewright. The members of this site are always willing to help so don't be afraid to ask questions. The most important thing to remember about the Carvewright is they make a lot of Saw Dust and must keep your machine clean or problems will start.

Welcome

AskBud
07-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi All,

My name is Eric, I am new to carvewright. I am an intermediate instrument maker and novice carver. I make Lithuanian ethnic lap harps called Kanklės, they are also known as zithers or dulcimers. I can not wait to start using my carvewright machine and enhancing my harps with cool carvings. I am a little nervous about using the machine because it seems so easy to screw it up. Any good advice for a newbie? Thanks in advance for your help. Ericnark, Be well & laugh often!
Welcome aboard!
You may wish to bookmark this "Download" link. Besides my video lessons, you'll find links to other tutorials as well.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud downloads.htm

keninar
07-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Welcome Eric! Ditto on al the above comments.

Check your PM when you get the opportunity.

keninar

chebytrk
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Greetings Eric!
You are going to have a blast with your CW. Heed the advice on the "sawdust" as even though we like to make lots of it, you want to keep it out of your CW as much as possible. ANY questions you have will be answered or diected to where the answer is on the Forum so be sure to learn the different areas of the Forum & how to search, upload pics/mpcs & send PMs. These will help you a bunch as well as helping us look for answers to some of your questions. This Forum is a very intregal part of your CW. Welcome aboard Amigo!.... hold on and enjoy the ride cause its about to turn GREAT for you.

lynnfrwd
07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Welcome Eric:

It is very important to use a Dust Collector. Don't just use a ShopVac, especially while the machine is on...you can fry your controller.

You've certainly found the right spot to be a success with your machine.

fwharris
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Eric,

Welcome aboard! I would like to include going to the "learn tab" on the main CarveWright site. Lots of great learning/teaching tools for the new user.

Looking forward to seeing some of your Kankles!

ladjr
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Eric,

Welcome aboard! I would like to include going to the "learn tab" on the main CarveWright site. Lots of great learning/teaching tools for the new user.

Looking forward to seeing some of your Kankles!

OK I guess I'm out of touch. What is "Kankles"

AskBud
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
OK I guess I'm out of touch. What is "Kankles"Here is one description:
The kanklės is a Lithuanian plucked string musical instrument (chordophone), of the zither family. There are others as well, one of which is medical.
AskBud

bjbethke
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
OK I guess I'm out of touch. What is "Kankles"

Check this WEB page;
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kankles+instrument&qpvt=kankles+instrument&FORM=IGRE

ladjr
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Now that is interesting Thanks

CWFan
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Welcome Eric:

It is very important to use a Dust Collector. Don't just use a ShopVac, especially while the machine is on...you can fry your controller.

You've certainly found the right spot to be a success with your machine.

Lynnfrwd, I agree and use a dust collector myself but I have a question. If carvewright staff says its important to use a dust collector then why is the machine not built to include dust collection and with the port installed? This gives the impression it is not needed. I also always wondered why it does not include a grounded plug as well. Thanks for answering my probably rookie question.

fwharris
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Lynnfrwd, I agree and use a dust collector myself but I have a question. If carvewright staff says its important to use a dust collector then why is the machine not built to include dust collection and with the port installed? This gives the impression it is not needed. I also always wondered why it does not include a grounded plug as well. Thanks for answering my probably rookie question.

CWFAN,

Here is my take on the dust collection and how it evolved with the CW and LHR.

As new users came on line with the CW, their creative mind went to work on how to improve their carving operation. One of the most obvious was dust removal. LHR designed the center port (area between the traction belts) for a possible down draft system. Most carves started utilizing that area and built boxes. It works ok for narrow boards and if you added an air push system to blow dust off the board it worked even better. But still not good enough to capture all or most of the dust as the CW was carving. Carvers like KenM810 and DigitalAl started sharing their collection system approach. They in sorts planted the seed for a top mounted collection system. I think we now have about a half dozen different versions available. :)

Now LHR view (IMO), the machine was designed to be self contained (most dust kept in machine) and required a good thorough cleaning after each carve. A home hobbyist set up. We (the carvers) soon showed then how to improve their system. They have done a long look at dust collection and machine modifications to do so. Because of the machine needing to be UL certified and (any design modifications) this process takes time and lots of $$$ to do so. In order for them to implement this change would of probably meant some sort of price increase to the machine to capture their costs. Not wanting to do so, they have allowed us to take the lead and develop our systems to be compatible for the CW.

The first machines did have the ground plug but UL made them change to the 2 prong plug....

CWFan
07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks Fwharris, I still think after being in production this long that the dust collection should be included. I realize alot of people are making money by selling their own but the cost of a machine is high to begin with and then after plunking down hundreds for software and dust collection and bits, I have far surpassed the cost of the machine itself not to mention I would like the new software as well but cant afford it right now.

fwharris
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks Fwharris, I still think after being in production this long that the dust collection should be included. I realize alot of people are making money by selling their own but the cost of a machine is high to begin with and then after plunking down hundreds for software and dust collection and bits, I have far surpassed the cost of the machine itself not to mention I would like the new software as well but cant afford it right now.

@ the machine price today I could of bought two machines for what I paid back in 2007 for one or one machine with all of the software add ons. So I am not feeling to sorry (envious maybe) for any of the new people. I do understand your concerns on cash flow as we all need to decide on what our "needs" vs "wants" are and what the costs of each is. I am probably like most in that our "wants" list often exceeds our "need" list. :(

AskBud
07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
@ the machine price today I could of bought two machines for what I paid back in 2007 for one or one machine with all of the software add ons. So I am not feeling to sorry (envious maybe) for any of the new people. I do understand your concerns on cash flow as we all need to decide on what our "needs" vs "wants" are and what the costs of each is. I am probably like most in that our "wants" list often exceeds our "need" list. :(I'll just add a thought to Floyds reply.
"What item that I buy each day for about a $1.00, can I give up for a year to justify the $400.00 expense to give me the ability to perform better?"
AskBud