PDA

View Full Version : Need some help if possible

Canemaker
07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I have been asked to create a carving but need some help. I have managed to accomplish most of the carving from knowledge acquired from the conference, but don't remember if this was ever discussed. I need to create a square (standing on end) with a slight chamfer on the edges. Would this be a draft, feather or something else all together. Thanks John attached are the one he wants showing a slight chamfer on the edges and the other one shows what I drew in Designer.

AskBud
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I have been asked to create a carving but need some help. I have managed to accomplish most of the carving from knowledge acquired from the conference, but don't remember if this was ever discussed. I need to create a square (standing on end) with a slight chamfer on the edges. Would this be a draft, feather or something else all together. Thanks JohnIf you are doing the square as a raster carve, using the caeving Bit, I think you want a Draft.
AskBud

eelamb
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Is this what you are trying to do?54464

I did this using the latest version of designer 1.184. Took your mpc, choose the square, set the depth to .5, choose the puff, and bevel, set to .25, click OK, then choose the puff again and the flat, with .25, and OK. Now use additive to place the pattern on top.
I should mention, I just loaded the new designer, and not knowing anything about the tools I did this.

bluecobra
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Couldn't we do a multi pass edge rout with a V bit?

AskBud
07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Couldn't we do a multi pass edge rout with a V bit?Your Theory is right, however, you need to remember that an Edge-route is used on the very edge of your Design board rather than around a inner object.
If the wish is to make the diamond area, using the V-bit, you will be doing it to that path (as drawn) or if it is a pattern you will do an Outline and then apply the V-bit to that outline. As already stated, you may now apply a 3D Puff if you have that software.

Note:
To share MPCs with the new 2D, 3D, and other added software, both parties must have that software. We may, however, "Make patterns" which include our 2D and 3D applications that may be shared or marketed.
AskBud

bluecobra
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Been away from the CC & CW community for a few years and am a little rusty.
Also realized that keeping the chamfer as a raster would probably end up saving time vs having to change a bit to do a vector carve of the same thing.

AskBud
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Been away from the CC & CW community for a few years and am a little rusty.
Also realized that keeping the chamfer as a raster would probably end up saving time vs having to change a bit to do a vector carve of the same thing.
Another thing, if we're supposed to keep 7" under the rollers and (usually) 1" away from the sides, is rout edges a reasonable operation any more?An Edge Rout is always around the perimeter of your design rectangle. The extra length will be fine, as it accounts for that.
The width is another matter! Let's say your design board is 7 inches wide. That is where the Edge Rout will be (It's always the rectangle). If you use an actual board larger (let's say 9 inches wide) and you select not to scale and also select something like "Center", "End", or "Corner", It will still Edge Rout the design rectangle.

If you want/need a rout somewhere else on the board you will need to draw that path and just assign the correct bit.
AskBud