PDA

View Full Version : While waiting for more tutorials to come online, question about the Smart Spline Tool

Ton80
07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool. I know we are all learning and some of us, like me, are just learning by watching what others like Bud are doing as they learn the tools. SO, I don't want to jump to any conclusions from just one tutorial but the Smart Spline tool looks like it did nothing different from the connected line tool we already have. I'm sure this is not the case and maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have? Sorry if I'm being impatient and if there are tutorials coming from LHR or Mike that are addressing this in depth I suppose I can squelch my curiosity a bit longer ;)

The image trace looks pretty cool. I'm wondering about importing something like a family crest like the one attached and whether it would be possibly to trace the image and create a relief pattern similar to the one already available in the pattern strore? I attached the image I would import and a screen shot of the one available so you can see what it is that I would like to achieve.

54455This is the Pattern available
54456This is a COA that I have worked with in the past and I would like to duplicate in a way that is similar to the COA patterns above

bjbethke
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool. I know we are all learning and some of us, like me, are just learning by watching what others like Bud are doing as they learn the tools. SO, I don't want to jump to any conclusions from just one tutorial but the Smart Spline tool looks like it did nothing different from the connected line tool we already have. I'm sure this is not the case and maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have? Sorry if I'm being impatient and if there are tutorials coming from LHR or Mike that are addressing this in depth I suppose I can squelch my curiosity a bit longer ;)

The image trace looks pretty cool. I'm wondering about importing something like a family crest like the one attached and whether it would be possibly to trace the image and create a relief pattern similar to the one already available in the pattern strore? I attached the image I would import and a screen shot of the one available so you can see what it is that I would like to achieve.

54455This is the Pattern available
54456This is a COA that I have worked with in the past and I would like to duplicate in a way that is similar to the COA patterns above

Is this the image you are looking for, The MPC file is over 1MB and I can't post it on this forum, PM with an e-mail I can send it to you. You can make this on a $29.00 program called ShaderMap Pro.

Ton80
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow... that looks really good! I'll PM you my email. I imagine you probably did this in about under 30 minutes? Now I have just found a reason to load Windows on my Mac! I'll look into it on their website but what type of format does the program export for Designer, is it just a greyscale image or does it require the STL import ?

liquidguitars
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have?

Hello Ton,

I think one of the cool functions of the the smart spline tool is it lets you draw lines and curves interactively without changing the tool sets via the menu.

Ton80
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello, the smart spline tool lets you draw lines and curves without changing the tool sets via the menu.

Hi LG, if I understand what you said correctly it's basically not adding anything new ability wise but it's making it simpler to trace an image by cutting down on the steps to interact with the other 2D drawing tools?

Thanks
john

liquidguitars
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Ease of use quicker designs...

I think Designers curves before the upgrade are some of the best but stopping in mid flow when laying down lines and curves can be a hassle in the creative department...

I am using the Smart spline as my default layout tool now and love it. Before i had to combine the lines and curves as one path but not anymore...

mtylerfl
07-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool...maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have?

Howdy,

The Smart Spline Tool is similar to drawing tools found in other graphic software programs (like CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator). It's different from the standard Spline tool we already have in Designer, as it gives us the ability to create our vectors using Tangent and Free nodes, on the fly, while drawing. The current Spline Tool only allows for drawing with all the nodes tangent, then you have to go back and manually select nodes you want to change to "free" (to draw a sharp corner, for example). Or, if you use the Connected Line tool, all the nodes are "sharp" (free nodes) and you would have to go back and manually change some nodes to tangent. So, the new Smart Spline Tool just makes the task of drawing go quicker, and like LG, it's become my "go-to" drawing tool for drawing shapes that have a combination of curves and straight lines.

In Bud's video where he is tracing around the shield, it did not show really how the Smart Spline Tool is supposed to be used. He made a lot of extra nodes that were unnecessary, and went back to change forms of the vectors in many places (he used arcs where I would have used splines, and I would have deleted about half or more of the nodes to achieve the same effect). Like you said, we are all learning, and this is a tool that will require some practice to get the feel for, and to be used most efficiently. Once over the learning curve, I think folks will appreciate its convenience.

Ton80
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Mike,

Thanks for all that info. I figured there had to be something more to that tool. I'll be looking forward to more info over the coming days... Any time frame on when you will have your info ready to post?

cwm
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Where can I find Buds tutorial.

Thanks

fwharris
07-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks

find one of his posts.. link is in his signature..

AskBud
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM

ThanksClick on my "Download" link below. You may then bookmark that link if you wish.
AskBud

cwm
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
find one of his posts.. link is in his signature..

Thanks Floyd

cwm
07-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Click on my "Download" link below. You may then bookmark that link if you wish.
AskBud
Thanks bud

mtylerfl
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I finished the "CarveWright 2D Suite Drawing Tools Overview" Tutorial video. There are two versions...one is a streaming video with a Table of Contents (http://www.carvebuddy.com/Videos/CarveWright%202D%20Suite%20Drawing%20Tools%20Overv iew%20July%202012/CarveWright%202D%20Suite%20Drawing%20Tools%20Overv iew.html) that makes it convenient to click and go to a section on the video. The other is a downloadable 88 MB WMV (http://www.carvebuddy.com/Videos/CarveWright_2D_Suite_Overview.wmv) that you can store and watch on your own computer. (The WMV filetype doesn't support the Table of Contents function, but you can scroll through the video manually, as normal.)

It has been posted at CarveBuddy and Jason's website (http://cutscarvesandcolors.ning.com/group/sofware_tutorials), so far. I think CarveWright will have it posted soon, as well.

The video covers all five of the main tools included in the CarveWright 2D Suite. The video is about 40 minutes in length and features examples and tips of how each tool can be used.

The five primary tools are:

• Offset Path Tool
• Trim Vector Tool
• Smart Spline Drawing Tool
• Copy-Offset Tool
• Import Tracing Image Function/Tool

AskBud
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Well done Michael. I'll bet the phones, at LHR will be ringing off the hook very soon.
AskBud