PDA

View Full Version : CW Machine Maintenance & Repair

lynnfrwd
07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
This is the presentation from the CW DISCOVER Conference 2012.

Ton80
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Outstanding and overdue ! Thanks so much to the team for putting together an official list of items to check!!!

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Very Impressive... I will add "Please read THIS" to my Soapbox "Please read Tips and Tricks..." to the new guys.

Good Job !!!

AL

CNC Carver
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks Connie for sharing! Good info for us to follow as we use or machine and want to keep it working correctly

fwharris
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
This is the presentation from the CW DISCOVER Conference 2012.

Connie, thanks for posting!!!

Ton80
08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
This should be posted to the section of the website that contains all the other machine documents so it's easily found by users that aren't visiting the forums.

Ton80
08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Reading through the PDF I wanted to mention that in the section where you are instructed how to re-tighten a loose Y-Belt that it should be noted it's possible to over-tighten this and cause damage to the gears of the Y motor pack... I speak this from experience !

Ton80
08-01-2012, 10:47 AM
The article mentions 4 approved lubricants for the guide posts and lead screws and none of them are the lithium grease which was recommended in the head pressure PDF... is this a change that replaces previous recommendations?

chebytrk
08-01-2012, 11:25 AM
IF the belt was "overtightned" what is the way to set the correct tension to have on the belt. I"ve heard some say to turn the belt with your fingers and if it turns so much, then it's OK. Just looking for some type of recommendation on correct tension.

Reading through the PDF I wanted to mention that in the section where you are instructed how to re-tighten a loose Y-Belt that it should be noted it's possible to over-tighten this and cause damage to the gears of the Y motor pack... I speak this from experience !

Ton80
08-01-2012, 11:31 AM
The info I got over the phone back when I made the adjustment was to slide the Z truck to the front of the machine and then towards the back end of the machine, press the upper half of the Y belt down. You should not be able to easily press it down to a point where it can touch the other half. When I loosened the screw and tightened the belt I put what was most likely excessive force on the plate and ended up bending the gear...

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
IF you are tightening the Y Belt and you have 500 cut hours then I would first remove the Y Motor and inspect the 2 small gear box bearings. In MY opinion the reason the belt comes loose is the bearings failing and letting the big plastic gear and shaft tilt toward the center of the machine. This makes a slack belt. THREE times on different machines I did this with about 500 hours on the machines and THREE times I ended up having a Y Failure in the near future with the shaft of the big plastic gear worn thin..... Had I replaced the 2 gear box bearings before I tightened the belt... I would have been better off. LHR sells the Gear and Shaft as a replacement part.

I recommend replacing the two 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm bearings when you replace the Cut Motor Brushes at 250 Hours.

Just one of the MANY places that sell the bearings. I buy them in a 10 pack for 5 repairs...

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

OR buy local. Stay away from Cheap eBay as they have been reported here to be under size.

AL

Ton80
08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I also would like to note that in the section to check the board sensor I believe it should say that you need to load a board and lower the head to it's normal operating position. I started the test as it's written, with no board loaded and I got a reading of 0 ! I was like, "wtf?"... Just loaded a project board and tested the sensor again and got a good reading of 156...

lynnfrwd
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Might I add that this was a slide show presentation and NOT a step-by-step guide to repair and maintenance.

Ton80
08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Ahh, OK. Thank you.